Use old Panasonic Home Theater as ext sound for flat screen TV

N

nhelp12

Audiophyte
Hey everyone,

This is my first day here and I'm in need of some real expert advice.

I have a 10 year old Panasonic Home Theater, it works great but I'm unable to use it because I have the flat screen tv and I don't know how can I use these amazing home theater speakers to enhance my movie watching experience.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
1) What is your tv outputs and inputs?
Post a picture if possible!
2) What inputs does your AVR offer if you have one?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is the model number of the home theater set as well as your tv? We can look up manuals that way to help you out....just because its a flat screen shouldn't be too hard to get around....

N

nhelp12

Audiophyte
TV Info -

Samsung 32inch
Model No - UN32J4000AF

Tv Inputs - Right and Left Audio, Pr, Pb, Y/Video, 1 HDMI DVI, 1 HDMI STB
TV Outputs - Digital Audiot Out (Optical)

Home Theater Info -

Panasonic DVD/VHS Home Theater System
Model No - SA-HT830V

I have drawn a Red Circle on the pic to show the output to the speaker from the Home Theater Base.

I have attached pics for TV and Home Theater System.

TV_1.jpg
TV 2.jpg
Home_Theater_1.jpg
Home_Theater_2.jpg
Home_Theater_3.jpg

Attachments

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If you're dead set on using it with your new TV you will need to connect it using the component video outputs. This will only work for DVD's though. I you still want to use it for VHS and DVD's you must use the DVD/VHS outputs. For your own reference, here is a link to the manual for a similar model:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/247045/Panasonic-Sc-Ht830v.html

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
TV Info -

Samsung 32inch
Model No - UN32J4000AF

Tv Inputs - Right and Left Audio, Pr, Pb, Y/Video, 1 HDMI DVI, 1 HDMI STB
TV Outputs - Digital Audiot Out (Optical)

Home Theater Info -

Panasonic DVD/VHS Home Theater System
Model No - SA-HT830V

I have drawn a Red Circle on the pic to show the output to the speaker from the Home Theater Base.

I have attached pics for TV and Home Theater System.

View attachment 30398View attachment 30399View attachment 30402View attachment 30401View attachment 30405
That unit has had its day. You will only get poor quality TV using the component video connections. Even 10 years ago that unit was way out of date.
That unit needs retirement. We are now long passed the analog sunset and you need really do need equipment with digital connections.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Another Die hard:p
Don’t change what you love change the state of the art to what you love:cool:

N

nhelp12

Audiophyte
That unit has had its day. You will only get poor quality TV using the component video connections. Even 10 years ago that unit was way out of date.
That unit needs retirement. We are now long passed the analog sunset and you need really do need equipment with digital connections.
So can I not get any type of a converter from digital output to analog so I can play TV sound out of these speakers.

N

nhelp12

Audiophyte
If you're dead set on using it with your new TV you will need to connect it using the component video outputs. This will only work for DVD's though. I you still want to use it for VHS and DVD's you must use the DVD/VHS outputs. For your own reference, here is a link to the manual for a similar model:

Hey thanks there,

So my goal is to actually use this as external speakers to my TV. I don't want to play any DVD or VHS through this. I just want some converter or etc to help me play TV sound out of these speakers!

Not sure but if you can suggest that would be great

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
They make optical to RCA converters. You can find them pretty cheap on Amazon. I've never used any of them, so can't comment further on them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hey thanks there,

So my goal is to actually use this as external speakers to my TV. I don't want to play any DVD or VHS through this. I just want some converter or etc to help me play TV sound out of these speakers!

Not sure but if you can suggest that would be great
You can get two channel audio out of the TV that will play from the right and left speakers. That is all a DAC from the Toslink out from the TV will give you.
You would connect it to the white and red external inputs.

Far I think from what you wanted in your original post. So you are not going to get multi channel sound from your unit. There is no way to do that.

If proper surround sound is what you want then you need to give up HTIBs and get a modern receiver and compatible speakers.

Your other option is a sound bar, but you don't get amazing sound from them.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Once you send the audio to your Panasonic you should be able to use whatever on board surround modes available in it to direct 2 channel audio source material into multiple channels.

My anthem processor has a manufacturer surround mode called Anthem Logic. It will take 2ch and output to 5.1. The sub only gets redirected bass from the bass manager as far as I know in that mode since there is no actual .1LFE info but it’s still better than the Dolby PL-ii mode or all ch stereo.

Anthem Logic made YouTube videos more enjoyable for me as well. My processor shows 44.1khz 16-bit for YouTube source material which is CD quality anyway.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Once you send the audio to your Panasonic you should be able to use whatever on board surround modes available in it to direct 2 channel audio source material into multiple channels.

My anthem processor has a manufacturer surround mode called Anthem Logic. It will take 2ch and output to 5.1. The sub only gets redirected bass from the bass manager as far as I know in that mode since there is no actual .1LFE info but it’s still better than the Dolby PL-ii mode or all ch stereo.

Anthem Logic made YouTube videos more enjoyable for me as well. My processor shows 44.1khz 16-bit for YouTube source material which is CD quality anyway.
It does have Dolby pro logic II decoder. That will give a fake 5 channel surround from a stereo input. Those old Dolby logic systems were not very good, so he may be better just listening in stereo. What he really needs for his new TV is something that will handle Dolby Digital plus for his streaming and regular TV.

N

nhelp12

Audiophyte

Okay I'll try doing that, if you don't mind, can you assist me with the right converter from digital to analog? And where would I plug in the output in the Panasonic, can you check the image and tell me? Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Read my posts 12. It gives you a hype link to a suitable DAC and tells you how to connect it! You already have your answers.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
It does have Dolby pro logic II decoder. That will give a fake 5 channel surround from a stereo input. Those old Dolby logic systems were not very good, so he may be better just listening in stereo. What he really needs for his new TV is something that will handle Dolby Digital plus for his streaming and regular TV.
Definitely makes most sense to upgrade. For some people sound is less important not unimportant. That’s the category my wife is in:rolleyes:

Pro-Logic ii does offer some advantages over some 2.0 but I found the low end lacking. The phantom centre for 2 ch sounds great for music but the PL-ii centre was more of a more direct sound.

It’s nice to have the surrounds receive information. PL-ii was better than all ch stereo for actually creating separation from my personal experience.

The big problem was sound compression. The mock surround modes manipulate the source signal. That ends up being a win lose scenario.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Just to note that youtube is nowhere near CD quality even if it registers as 44.1khz 16b. Youtube compresses very heavily so its around 128-156bps unless they have changed something recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Yeah not sure!

Some videos sound amazing considering.

I think that has more to do with the quality of the uploaded source!
:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis