Usable amplifier power

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Take it with a grain of salt. They don't measure it in your room

You can use that as a starting point but keep in mind what your goals should be. and trust your ears

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Most people, me included, have no idea how much power they are actually using. A previous poster mentioned 2 watts is the ballpark, which is good enough ballpark number. Except I would say its mostly less than or equal to 2 watts for a normal 76db SPL at the listening position. The brethren here helped me do a ballpark test a few years ago and I was stunned to learn I was doing less than 1 watt to sit and listen at that normalish db level to music.
Haha, don't take my word for it, but perhaps the meter's. The photo below was taken yesterday, when I suddenly wanted to do a AVR-X4400H vs the 49 lbs Marantz SM7 as well as AVR-X4400 preamp+SM7. Previous compared the AVR with two other separates combination, heard no difference.

It was my best effort in a capturing the highest peak. When playing classical music I could quickly find, that has very high transients, the need might have swung past 1 Watt, but rarely and barely, to my eyes anyway.

IMG_20190621_083047.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Take it with a grain of salt. They don't measure it in your room

You can use that as a starting point but keep in mind what your goals should be. and trust your ears
Exactly, S&V claimed "quasi anechoic".

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis