Usable amplifier power

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Focal's web page indicates Amplifier Power of 25W-120W.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The main reason for my question is I’m really enjoying watching movies and 2.1 stereo but sometimes I feel my older 40 W per channel NAD is trying a little too hard. I’ve heard people say that when they got a more powerful amp their speakers really “woke up”. I’m watching a NAD 216, may try to make a lowball offer and see if I get it. There’s also a NAD 902 with similar specs to my NAD 705 but I e read people feel the 902’s specs are more than conservative. I can buy the 902 for $72.50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your setup is "2.1", what is your subwoofer and how is it connected to the NAD? Does it have a sub-out connection? Or, are you using the speaker level connections. If you haven't already done so, by using the speaker level connections, and passing the signal through the sub's crossover, you can take some loading off the NAD, freeing up more power for your mains. Just a thought...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The main reason for my question is I’m really enjoying watching movies and 2.1 stereo but sometimes I feel my older 40 W per channel NAD is trying a little too hard. I’ve heard people say that when they got a more powerful amp their speakers really “woke up”. I’m watching a NAD 216, may try to make a lowball offer and see if I get it. There’s also a NAD 902 with similar specs to my NAD 705 but I e read people feel the 902’s specs are more than conservative. I can buy the 902 for $72.50

The 38 W rated 902 won't give you more power. Believe or not, a good way to get a lot of power for very little money is to get an old AVR. My Denon avr-3805 is 2.5x more power than my NAD C326BEE. You can go with the newer avr-3808, Yamaha RX-V1900 etc.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve heard people say that when they got a more powerful amp their speakers really “woke up”.
Typical internet audiophile BS. :D

It's most likely psychological bias.

BTW, having to turn the volume knob up "more than you think you should" does not mean your amp is "trying a little too hard".

If your system sounds great, don't overthink it and just enjoy.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
If your setup is "2.1", what is your subwoofer and how is it connected to the NAD? Does it have a sub-out connection? Or, are you using the speaker level connections. If you haven't already done so, by using the speaker level connections, and passing the signal through the sub's crossover, you can take some loading off the NAD, freeing up more power for your mains. Just a thought...
SVS PB1000 that I’m running with CH B from the NAD.

BTW the PB1000 is a bit muddy with more demanding sound tracks but most of the time sounds pretty good.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
SVS PB1000 that I’m running with CH B from the NAD.

BTW the PB1000 is a bit muddy with more demanding sound tracks but most of the time sounds pretty good.

Are you using the speaker level connections on the subwoofer?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Were you suggesting that somehow takes load off my amplifier?

That would be my understanding. The frequencies below the crossover point would be fed to the subwoofer, so your NAD wouldn't have to power those lowest frequencies. I have a DCX2496 integrated into my 2-channel system and the crossover set at 80Hz. When the crossover is cut out, the woofers in my mains move quite a bit at elevated SPLs. When the crossover is engaged, movement is barely perceptible. That doesn't tell me how much power is being diverted by the crossover, but it's not insignificant, especially with bass-heavy material.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From what I see in the sub's manual the high pass is only applied thru the line level inputs/outputs, not the high level ones. Old 2ch gear isn't so great for incorporating subs....

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

Purchases of new equipment are often followed by claims of wondrous new capabilities like "waking up" my speakers. Its an audiophiles way of justifying the purchase, or, trying to fill in the void when nothing especially noteworthy occurred after spending several thousand dollars.

Basically, watts is watts. When I replaced my old 70watt per channel AVR with a 200 watt per channel one, I didn't expect much change and lo and behold there was zero change in the sound. The number on the knob was the only difference between the two.

Most people, me included, have no idea how much power they are actually using. A previous poster mentioned 2 watts is the ballpark, which is good enough ballpark number. Except I would say its mostly less than or equal to 2 watts for a normal 76db SPL at the listening position. The brethren here helped me do a ballpark test a few years ago and I was stunned to learn I was doing less than 1 watt to sit and listen at that normalish db level to music.

That makes most of these high horsepower arguments largely just an academic exercize. Now that @PENG has weighed in, whatever he says is probably good as gold. Several other qualified posters have also kicked it. Once you have enough, adding more is just heating the room. Although, I love the idea you can never have too much horsepower or too many output watts. It doesn't have to make sense. Its audio.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Tank, what model NAD amp are you currently using? I may have missed it.

Does your current amp have pre outs and main ins?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Tank, what model NAD amp are you currently using? I may have missed it.

Does your current amp have pre outs and main ins?
NAD 705

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Is this your receiver?
1561162834613.png

If so, you can separate the pre-amp from the main amp and avail yourself of your sub's ability to filter out the lows.

The rightmost pair of red and white jacks have a jumper. Remove the jumpers (SAVE THEM!!!) and and run a stereo interconnect from the pre-out to the line level inputs of the sub. Then, run another stereo interconnect from the sub's line level outputs back to the main inputs of your receiver.

You should be good to go.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Is this your receiver?
View attachment 29911

If so, you can separate the pre-amp from the main amp and avail yourself of your sub's ability to filter out the lows.

The rightmost pair of red and white jacks have a jumper. Remove the jumpers (SAVE THEM!!!) and and run a stereo interconnect from the pre-out to the line level inputs of the sub. Then, run another stereo interconnect from the sub's line level outputs back to the main inputs of your receiver.

You should be good to go.
Any recommendations on where to set the crossover on the sub? I’m also guessing this will eliminate any frequencies below that level from being sent back to the receiver and amplified thus freeing up more usable power?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Dunno about the sub. The high pass may be fixed. Check the manual.

Yes, it should stop the lows from going back to the amp

The crossover on the sub generally controls the high end that the sub will reproduce. This should be set so the sub takes over where your mains* start falling off.. It's not a life or death situation so you can play with it.

Generally, the sub shouldn't overlap your mains and really shouldn't be too obvious. The best way to know you've got it right is that you only notice the sub when you turn it off and the bottom simply disappears and the rest of the range remains untouched.

Ignoring the sub's high pass, I'd guestimate I'd start around 70 -80 hz and play with it for a few days. It may take a few days to get it juuuuuuuuust right. Take your time and have fun. That's what this hobby is about.

* or the fixed filter in the sub.

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
If I’m reading this correctly it looks like crossing it over just under 100 Hz

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any recommendations on where to set the crossover on the sub? I’m also guessing this will eliminate any frequencies below that level from being sent back to the receiver and amplified thus freeing up more usable power?

You only have the low pass on the sub unless you connect it with the low level (rca) connections. The high pass if you do use the low level connections is fixed at 80hz. If you're using just the low pass filter I'd place it near the f3 of your speakers (which the graph you posted doesn't show, as it's from 500hz and up) which according to their specs is 49Hz, but try above and below and see if you have a preference.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis