USA Today Report on MonsterCable

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Being misquoted really upsets us, but we thought you would find this delightfully shallow report (endorsement?) on Monster Cable products interesting.

The main article is located here.

While the main article has some nice statements in it such as the fact that "Nobody has ever been able to identify the specialty cable from the junk box stuff", the sidebar is where we took particular offense and were extremely disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Audioholics Official Response to USAToday Writer

Thanks Michelle.

I have to admit to being a bit disappointed with the short, uninformative (and quite inaccurate) quote (afterthought, really) that you attributed to me. In addition, it is now very apparent that the goal of this article was simply to give creedece to Monster Cable from the get-go. Here's why I feel the article leads me to this conclusion:
  • The audio test you conducted listed no particulars and was presumably done in a way that allowed psychological manipulation, since the listeners were more than likely aware of when they were listening to the Monster Cable product and when they were not.
  • No other details are given other than the use of two sets of Bose speakers (which coincidentally had to occupy two different places in the room, leading to different acoustical responses). While double blind listening is difficult at best, you did not even do a single blind listening test. In addition, it is likely that everyone preferred the speaker placement of the second set of speakers better than the first.
  • There are many instances of published double blind listening tests that have yielded results equating to the fact that only poorly designed cables can be heard. In other words, on a much higher quality system (with flat frequency responses and much higher quality components than what we presume you utilized - you didn't list this specifically either) the results equated to chance. People could not consistently pick out a cable.
  • You apparently did not understand any of our conversation as the quote attributed to me makes no sense and is completely without context. Quoting me as saying: "put more of the money into the loudspeaker, when it matters most." - how is that statement qualified? The quote utilized tells me you didn't understand any of what I spent a lot of time trying to simplify for you.
  • Your price/product comparison was flawed and almost purposely inaccurate as you can purchase speaker cable at a hardware store by the foot. Meaning that instead of the apples-to-apples pricing you created the appearance of, in reality it's $30 vs. $4. Your article makes it seem as if Monster Cables actually cost a dollar less than generic. This does not read like a mistake, it has the appearance of being a deliberate attempt to make Monster Cables appear to be priced more similarly - which they are not.

In summary, your article is deceptive and almost comically transparent. It is very self defeating and serves little to no purpose, lending very little credibility among audio enthusiasts. Unfortunately, the unknowing were given a disservice by you, for I fear your pro-Monster Cable piece will only serve to continue to fool people into thinking that the more they spend on cables the better.

If you are interested, we will be conducting a scientific Double Blind Listening test in the future. Our website already proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that most cables measure such that the differences cannot be heard (except for poorly designed cables) however your article tosses all of that out the window in exchange for flowery language, innaccurate facts & details, and a poorly documented and executed subjective test.

I apologize somewhat for the tone of this email, however I have never actually been involved in such a poorly written marketing piece cleverly disguised as a news item before. I had thought at the onset that you were writing a news article, not a stealth advertisement.

We'll most likely print our opinion of your piece on our website as we are very disappointed in it and do not want the unknowing public to miss the drastic flaws present in this one-sided opinion piece.

-Gene DellaSala

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Gene,

I gotta say that I have worked for places that sell Monster and I don't care either way... Not my job to tell sales guys how stupid certain sales are.

But, for original wire runs in homes there is a few nice things that Monster offers. This is that their jackets are very flexible yet still remain tough. So, when pulling a hundred feet of cable out of a box in the basement up through the attic the pull still remains smooth and snag free.

The cable then can be split nicely and the pull string inside actually rips the cable apart the way it is supposed to - which many competitors I have used don't. Their string simply snaps or the wire is very difficult to split.

Finally, even the stripping of the wire is cleaner with a simple cut to the wire insulation allowing the insulation to be cleanly and quickly removed.

Do any of these things affect audio quality? Nah.

But, when I have guys pulling 16 zones of audio through a home the speed in which they can pull the cable and terminate the cable and how clean it all goes together is important.

The overpriced interconnects inside the rack are always trivial to me and I prefer custom lengths when possible.

Oh - I don't work for a 'Monster Cable' dealing company anymore... But, I am still on eBay getting the bulk cable to wire my new home because I know it will go in cleaner and be easier to work with than the competition I have worked with. About 100 bucks for 500 feet of 16/4 doesn't seem outrageous to me, but I do know what I paid for it when I got it at cost... so I know someone is making a profit.

I consistently hear news reports in my area about electronics that are somewhat, if not entirely inaccurate, but have come to decide that with the Internet, there is no reason for ANY consumer to be uneducated and I have very little patience for those who ask the question "Is what I already bought any good?"

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
BMX we are not debating whether or not Monster products are good. We are however infuriated by the misquoting and the poor testing methodology in this article. Notice they didn't even mention the wire gauge used. How do we know they didn't simply pick up some 24AWG telephone cable from home depot?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Here is my original email to the USA Today report following our phone call interview.

It was a pleasure speaking with you today regarding cables. We are appreciative of this interview opportunity and allowing us to get a very useful message out to an unwary public being constantly bombarded with misleading marketing literature (we refer to as snake oil) from manufacturers, sales people, and sadly many so called industry professional reviewers and publications.

The cable industry has gone without checks and balances for over 20 years. It seems sometime in the mid 80's consumer audio publications saw a steady decline in placing importance on objective measurement analysis metrics in judging audio component performance. The continuous flourish of this lack of objective evaluation and understanding has bred a new generation of marketing to an uneducated community of audiophiles and enthusiasts spanning reviewers to general consumers. Many clever opportunists thus took advantage of this situation by branding pseudo-sciences based on half engineering truths used out of context for the application(s) at hand. Thus the exotic cable industry was born.

Rather than addressing real issues in audio which will and do have a more profound impact on audio performance, namely the loudspeaker to room mechanism, they sought out to exploit a more profitable and less risky means of capitalism. They found a way to dress up wire with cosmetics and spiffy literature that sounds good to the general public whom have little experience in electronics or electricity for that matter.

With the promise of high profit margins and kickbacks, they trained sales people to further perpetuate their misguided claims and prey upon consumers with the promise that their cables will improve the fidelity of their systems. They typically claim these differences cannot be measured or analyzed by conventional means as can be seen in the following interview articles:

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/audioquestcabletheories.php

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/audioquestDBScablesrespons.php

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/silversmithaudiocables.php

Unfortunately most hardware manufacturers remain silent about this because they wish to maintain relations with their dealer base that reaps large profits from sales of these commodities.

Fortunately consumer awareness is rising (partly due to our efforts and the efforts of the Home Theater Alliance (http://www.hometheateralliance.com)to establish standards and education in the industry. We have put forth considerable effort educating the masses based on proven engineering principles, measurements and analysis of these products and manufacturer claims. We have lobbied for FTC involvement, but have yet to invoke a response, likely because there is no direct health risk to consumers other than perhaps a thinner wallet as result ;)

To better answer some of your questions as per our phone interview I have compiled a list from memory (have mercy on me ;) )

Purpose of a cable: to provide a connection medium between two or more devices with the least possible interference or alteration of the signal.

What causes signal loss: All cables have an inherent impedance profile. At audio frequencies we attribute their lumped parameters as: Resistance, Inductance And Capacitance. In order to minimize these RLC losses, we must minimize these parameters by choosing cables of proper geometry, construction and gauge. The higher the frequencies we deal with, the more critical the cable properties become. As we approach Video (especially HDTV) we must maintain the proper cable characteristic impedance (typically 75ohms) by choosing a coaxial style geometry with proper conductor spacing and dielectric. Shielding also plays a vital role to minimize interference and unwanted noise.

We recommend the following articles to your readers for more detailed explanations:

Cable Budget Guidelines

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/buyingguides/cablebudgetguidelines.php

A great way to ensure your cable is snake oil free is to verify the manufacturer doesn’t fall under any of these categories:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/top10cablesnakeoil.php

What advice would you give to the typical Best Buy / Circuit City Consumer?

First do as much research as you can, especially on Audioholics.com! Define your system goals and budget, perhaps discuss with a qualified installer. Search for products within your defined budget that may suit your needs. Research and more research! Try out some of the gear at local dealers if you have access. Make sure the user interface (if applicable) is palatable. Listen to the system to spot check its performance. When it comes time for purchasing, make sure the equipment you plan on buying has a fair return policy.

Spend as little as you can on cables and focus most of your budget into your loudspeaker system (especially the subwoofer), optimizing your home theater room setup and acoustics, then the electronics, followed by the cables.

Set-Up Tips:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/index.php

Acoustics Principles:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/index.php

Quality cables are generally inexpensive if you know what to look for. Some of the best deals can be found on the internet from companies such as:

Blue Jeans Cable (http://www.bluejeanscable.com)

Impact Acoustics (http://www.impactacoustics.com)

RAM Electronics (http://www.ramelectronics.net)

What can you tell us about Monster Cable?

In my opinion Noel Lee (founder of Monster Cable) is a marketing and business genius. He is one of the pioneers of the exotic cable business and built it into a very lucrative empire that few have dared to duplicate his success. They offer quality products though in my opinion can tend to be a bit pricey, but carry much product appeal and name recognition in the industry. We have found their cables to measure on par with much less expensive product and also found many of the connectors on their products to fit too snugly to some consumer gear. This however is not an issue unique just to them since the connector dimension standards are a bit vague and not always adhered to by manufacturers.

Here are some links to our cable reviews (including Monster Cable products) which include detailed testing and analysis that may be of interest to you.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/index.php

About Audioholics

Audioholics is the largest professional home theater publication in the world with over 800,000 monthly readers and growing! Our purpose is to pursue the truth in audio without the influence of marketing ensuring that marketing slogans are not the only guidelines for consumers home theater choices.

Our Staff Bios

http://www.audioholics.com/about/staffbios/index.php

Whew that was a long response huh? I hope I was helpful in answering your questions. If you need anything else, feel free to call me at (727) 741-3726. If you could possibly send me excerpts of quotes you plan on using before publishing it would be greatly appreciated.

When crediting Audioholics, please include our URL either as: Audioholics.com or http://www.audioholics.com

I am looking forward to seeing the end result of your article and greatly appreciative of your consideration as a source of reference. Thanks.

Best Regards;

Gene DellaSala

President of Audioholics.com

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

What a test they performed- listening tests thru B(l)ose speakers! :eek: :p That's the best part of the article! ;)

Like I've said before, whey doesn't B(l)ose partner with MC and bundle their mid-performance yet high priced products together? You'd think that would be the marketing equivalent of "hey, you stuck your chocolate in my peanut butter!" ;)

After all, ever dude stereo buyer with a grand burning a hole in his pocket hotfoots it into Best Buy looking for the only brand of speaker he's ever heard of: B(l)ose. Why not hook it up with the only wire he's ever heard of?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Am I the only one who found it strange that the article made a hero out of the guy for making a tons of profits ? They didn't bother to look into high mark-ups or questionable legal ethics ? :eek:

Are we really supposed to believe the chairman of the company doesn't mind when people ask if Monster Park belongs to the Monster dot com people ? or that his team is so damned bad it was more of an embarassment than a marketing tool ? :rolleyes: Did Dan Rather already get another job in the news business ? :confused:

Let's face it.. if someone can invest money in a "fixer-upper" like the 49ers and can have Rod Stewart sing at their Las Vegas demos, the company ain't exactly living on a minor profit margin.

The only sleeze company coming close might be the Bass Pro Shops who didn't have enough money to open their own store in Oklahoma City, bilked the taxpayers for $ 21 miilion (it was only supposed to be $ 18 million until three weeks before the store was supposed to open), and a month later was miraculously able to sponsor a Nascar event...

It would be interesting to see how much Monster Co advertising has been in USA Today for the past month and how much will be for the next month...

I can only say that for all these years when I got the free USA Todays at hotels and I skipped right over their business and news sections to get to the sport, I feel rather justified... :mad:

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
USA Today - a bastion of serious journalism.

A necessary compliiment to any Embassy Suites bathroom. :rolleyes:

lessee... Monster and Bose. Two American icons world reknown for name recognition above all else. The paper is merely coddling it's readership by using names they are familar with and feel comfortable about.

You really didn't expect any hard hitting journalism here, did you? The only time I can think of that anyone reads this paper is when traveling and you need something light and fluffy to read. Well, mebbe for the sports scores.

...either that, or the Embassy Suites bathroom is out of paper.

Feel better that least Forbes apperciates what you have ontributed to this hobby. Now THAT'S something to crow about. :D

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
gene said:
With the promise of high profit margins and kickbacks, they trained sales people to further perpetuate their misguided claims and prey upon consumers with the promise that their cables will improve the fidelity of their systems.
In my mind the above is really where it hurts consumers the most. Even if a customer has read cable information, be it misleading or truthful, it's difficult to express doubts when at the point of sale since Monster is going to be all you hear from the salesperson.

While it is unfortunate for the article to have such a slant, I would say that those people who are most concerned about knowing will do their homework before laying out the cash and will come to know the truth. It shouldn't be as difficult as it is, but then you could say that about a lot of things in this world.

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
Another article good for little more than toilet paper - rack it up along with the countless others.

I've preferred to think that most journalists were lazy and simply not doing their homework. To give in to the idea that they were crooked and just plain yellow is all too easy, but I feel myself slipping....

Shame on you, Michelle!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Journalists who work outside of fields they know nothing about often end up writing stories that are little more than fictional works of entertainment and really offer no good information. That is what consumer magazines are for - and they often fail as well. We should all know that 'fair and balanced' news reporting is completely and totally fictional.

It is sad that anyone would think that a publication like USA Today would do any sort of serious writing about a company that may turn around and hold them in lible.

Monster is a marketed work of genius and overpriced to high hell... but that is what people need to be aware of before they dump cash on them. Plus, they should dig into eBay and other markets for those cables as Best Buy and others are likely making 100% or more profit on every cable.

Sucky journalism is rarely going to suprise me from publications like that - shame you were caught off guard or expected more.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
BMX points well taken. I always try to remain optimistic. I guess that can sometimes be my undoing.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Can someone say "Endorsed"?

I am still new at this so bare with me...

In reading the article I can empathize with your frustration Gene... there is nothing like putting alot of effort into something you care about only to have someone trample all over it.

It was a very poorly written article with very little supporting facts. I got a good chuckle out of it, they look alot like 'executive summaries' that you find in the IT (Information Technology) magazines.... :D

Keep your chin up Gene! You're doing great!

Kim L.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Hey at least Forbes seems to appreciate your work. That's something to be positive about.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Know what is kind of weird... when I see a little side note in a magazine like Home Theater or Sound & Vision - something that says "Well, this was a little weak..." then goes onto something else. I almost immediately go - that product is almost DEFINITELY crap and they weren't happy with it.

USA Today is being so damn politically correct that they won't simply state: Monster Cables have very good quality but they screw over customers to no end by acting like cheaper alternatives, in almost every case, are just as good... or maybe better.

The fact that they include a counter-point at all... that little hint of 'consumer beware' is hopefully enough to get some people to look at this site and read up on harsh reality. We all know it won't save everyone - but Monster still kicks your butt on marketing. :) And mine as well of course. If by saying the few words you did to USA Today then perhaps you have at least saved a few from over paying for cables and supporting a company whose business practices prey on those suceptible to the hype.

I am not surprised by USA Today - despite the general disappointment. I am still very happy that there was at least a reference that may lead others to do some research.

If one more person in this world saves some cash because of that article... that's one more saved. Think positive, positive, positive.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
It isn't like Monster is a bbbbbaaaaaaaadddddd company.

The products are good.

Just a weeeeeeeeeee bit overpriced.

Where do we go from here?

I don't know for sure, but I think we have a bigger problem than Monster.

But let me mention a conversation I overheard at IHOP (international House of Pancakes for those of you that forgot the name of that fine food establishment).

The waitress, a late 30's single mom (I go to IHOP way too much, I even know the life history of the waitresses) is discussing "something" with a customer in an adjoining booth.

It seems the waitress has been to CC or another local establishment seeking to purchase a Home Theater System (the words of the waitress). The waitress had saved up a few dollars and was looking at a $700 system to hook up to her TV.

The customer in the booth asked "did you get it"?

And the waitress replied, "no, by time I added the cables it was like another $500 more and there was no way I could afford that".

Does anybody have a positive solution to this little problem?

Sure, I could send her to Home Depot for some wire for speaker cable, give her directions to Rat Shack for some cables, sent her to Wally World for a $20 multi-outlet surge suppressor. And then spent an hour of my time at her house hooking the whole thing up for her (try explaining that hour to a significant other). She may still be out more money than she can afford to spend on her "Home Theater System".

My only positive suggestion is to encourage manufacturers to INCLUDE some basic cables with their equipment. It happened in years gone by, so it could happen now as well. I know, those old patch cables really sux, but for my waitress friend, they are really all she needs.

First, as a marketing sceme, the manufacturer can make great emphasis of their "concern" for the consumer. Secondly, from a ROI (return on investment), the manufacturer can have a great ROI buying cables in huge bulk and marking up the selling price of the product to compensate for the cables. Yes, I know the market is competitive. But to the consumer, a $5 swing in the price of the DVD player, when the cables are INCLUDED, is not a big draw back when the alternative for the consumer is a $500 cable and wire bill.

By the way, I think it is more important to get my waitress friend, and all of her friends to have a HT, as the more consumers buying DVD's can only help to drive down the cost of DVD's.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
I for one let the Ms. Kessler know what I think about his article. Maybe you should I found this on a google search... mkessler@usatoday.com

Last edited:
M

Mac Man

Enthusiast
I like this the best

Stores "may make $1 on a DVD player" because the electronics market is so competitive, Lee says. :confused:

What a load of crap this is :mad: ....they are making at least 20 points on equipment! :eek:

Oh ya! Let's sell an item that cost us $30 and make $1....that's smarts!!

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Lee is working on a product that will allow gadget lovers to control all of their electronics from a single panel.
Somebody call the X-Men! This madman is trying to invent the Remote Control!

S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
Good for you Gene

Sure the story sucks, but consider the source. In my opinion, there isn't a worse rag out there trying to disguise itself as a reputable newspaper than USA Today.

That being said, I think that you wrote a wonderfully articulate response to the author of the article. You stood up for yourself and still took the high road. Kudos to you.

(reason for edit) p.s. - Tsunamii (tacky name by the way), I am pretty sure that Michelle is a girl.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis