US vs Canada (Newb Question?)

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Not exactly a newbie here, but this may be a newbie question. I have read some commentary about the government regulations concerning. Audio component testing and how other countries differ from the US. I have two questions: 1. What (if any) government regulations are in place that may restrict US speaker manufacturers from accurately testing drivers, speakers, etc. and 2) How does this differ from Canada or European Countries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not aware of any US government regulations that affect speaker manufacturers particularly, let alone dictate what they need to test or measure or publish of their efforts....FTC has some rules about amp power spec but that's all I'm particularly aware of. Canada did get behind the NRC for speakers but don't believe it's mandatory in any way....

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
I'm not aware of any US government regulations that affect speaker manufacturers particularly, let alone dictate what they need to test or measure or publish of their efforts....FTC has some rules about amp power spec but that's all I'm particularly aware of. Canada did get behind the NRC for speakers but don't believe it's mandatory in any way....
I will look for it. I went to a local dealer and he mentioned that there are better test facilities in Canada and it was because the testing parameters there vs here in the US was the reason why. Maybe I have lost my mind?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will look for it. I went to a local dealer and he mentioned that there are better test facilities in Canada and it was because the testing parameters there vs here in the US was the reason why. Maybe I have lost my mind?

That was what I referred to as NRC (National Research Council...that's the organization that worked on speaker test facilities). Notably Paul Barton was involved http://www.psbspeakers.com/articles/Paul-Barton-at-the-NRC

A

Arkintosh

Audiophyte
I like both of them. And they are number 1 and 2 in my priority list.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That was what I referred to as NRC (National Research Council...that's the organization that worked on speaker test facilities). Notably Paul Barton was involved http://www.psbspeakers.com/articles/Paul-Barton-at-the-NRC
The "Doc" Doctor Floyd Tool worked at the NRC for 25 years before moving on to Harmon and continued his work there. Paradigm is the only Candain manufacturer that I know of that have their own anoechic ( I can never spell that word correctly :( ) chamber and test facilities.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The "Doc" Doctor Floyd Tool worked at the NRC for 25 years before moving on to Harmon and continued his work there. Paradigm is the only Candain manufacturer that I know of that have their own anoechic ( I can never spell that word correctly :( ) chamber and test facilities.
Anachoeic is a good word, I always sound it out....yours I'm not even sure how to pronounce :) I forgot about Dr Toole's long time there (and Sean Olive as well), should have mentioned that as well, thanks, my brain defaulted to a Canadian who stayed in Canada?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Anachoeic is a good word, I always sound it out....yours I'm not even sure how to pronounce :) I forgot about Dr Toole's long time there (and Sean Olive as well), should have mentioned that as well, thanks, my brain defaulted to a Canadian who stayed in Canada?
Yeah, I sounded it out a totally different word. LMAO

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis