TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Oh and Martin King was posting on here too!

The speaker(s) that someone could create from this forum....

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I agree completely with your comments about the driver. I use the same type of topology with my SEAS units and it works fine.

As regards, fill I think you do have to be somewhat obsessional about it.

With the narrow port on the rear, and the turn, I don't see how you would have adequate access to the line once the cabinet is complete. I could be wrong about that. I have been suspicious about this all along. All I can tell you is that the ones I built for my father sounded excellent. After his death I set them up for my youngest sister. She is a semi-pro Mezzo and loves these speakers.

All I can say is, if they sound bad, then someone did not build them properly.
Hi. I may have misinterpreted your comment. I thought you were saying that in general you can't stuff a line after the cabinet is finished. You may have only been referring to the Thor cabinet, which I've never worked with it. I've only heard the Thor once, and that was at a Madisound room at an audio show. It really wasn't set up for critical listening. I just know that a lot of builders weren't happy with the results. Maybe Madisound should have included a tutorial from you, and or shipped the cabinets with a removable baffle.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi. I may have misinterpreted your comment. I thought you were saying that in general you can't stuff a line after the cabinet is finished. You may have only been referring to the Thor cabinet, which I've never worked with it. I've only heard the Thor once, and that was at a Madisound room at an audio show. It really wasn't set up for critical listening. I just know that a lot of builders weren't happy with the results. Maybe Madisound should have included a tutorial from you, and or shipped the cabinets with a removable baffle.
I see I was vague. I was referring to the Thor. I don't see how you could properly stuff that cabinet when completed.

It really is important that the stuffing not be compressed. It is important to suspend it. The pioneers like Radford, Bailey, Fried and Wright all found that out. They used treated Lambs wool by the way, in that research at Radford Labs, which is heavy and hard to work with. It is very prone to migrate with gravity, so suspension was key.

Firms like PMC use cellular foam substitutes, but if you look at the impedance curves in any third party tests of their designs, there are two impedance peaks. So the lines are not properly damped.

Proper line stuffing is crucial, as Ausperger pointed out. You have to use just enough, and I mean just enough damping, to get one peak of impedance, and NO more. If you look at Joe's article on the Thor, he repeated Ausperger's experiments and also found there was a tight tolerance to the stuffing.

Unfortunately these designs are not easy.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
And for the sake of debate, how about a TMT? That also has 3 more tweeters out back...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
When you used the netting, were you going in from a driver hole, or from the detachable base that houses the crossover?
No, I put the stuffing in when the cabinet was wide open, long before the cabinet was finished. You need it open enough so you cab use the staple gun to hold the netting in place. As far as possible the stuffing was put on the board before even placing it.

This is what I mean by having a cabinet open.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Unsure if PTE is still a going concern... you can contact via fax! :D
Concern? For the website itself, or just the absurd designs and complete lack of any useful literature?

10db increment graphs look extra flat too... lol!

M

Mark T

Audiophyte
Concern? For the website itself, or just the absurd designs and complete lack of any useful literature?

The graphs are in 1dB increments with no smoothing using a ground plane measurement
PTE has been at The Show 2009-2015 and RMAF 2010-2014. Still alive.
Just exhibited at The Show Newport 2015.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The graphs are in 1dB increments with no smoothing using a ground plane measurement
PTE has been at The Show 2009-2015 and RMAF 2010-2014. Still alive.
Just exhibited at The Show Newport 2015.
I stand corrected there, but I still maintain the constructive criticism that the website needs to look much more professional, and less like a pamphlet distributed from a white van.

Glad they can still make it to shows, but considering the asking price of the speakers, I'd hope for more information on the speakers, and less about how thick the PCB is.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis