upgrading the sub on lsi 15

M

MvpBrady

Audioholic Intern
has anyone heard of this? replacing the stock sub on the lsi15 with DB840 woofer upgrade

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have heard of people doing it and liking the results. I would think a higher end driver would make an improvement.

M

MvpBrady

Audioholic Intern
but isn't the sub that I posted a car subwoofer

jinjuku

jinjuku

Then why did you post it? Not sure how a sub knows if it's in a car or house. I am speaking to people just getting a higher quality driver in the Polks. The LSi is never going to be a monster low end beast. So most likely (with out looking) any reasonable quality sub (car or home use) is going to be an upgrade.

Check out Parts Express for some 8" sub lovin'. Also the Infinity Reference 860W would be a driver to look at if their is enough depth in the LSi 15's to accommodate and the cut out is the right size.

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I would not recommend changing the subwoofer in the LSi15. If you do, you need one that will be suitable for that cabinet size and port, and will be suitable for that specific crossover and be of equal output of the stock woofer. Otherwise, you will need to modify other aspects of the speaker to get it to sound right.

If you were talking about the LSi25, it would be easier to get away with changing the subwoofer because the subwoofer is powered, and consequently you would not need to worry about the volume matching (as that would be accomplished with the level control on the built-in amplifier). However, you would need the replacement subwoofer to be suitable for the built-in amplifier, and still need to worry about the cabinet volume and port being right for the replacement (or they would need to be modified in order for it to sound right).

Back to the LSi15: If you want more or deeper bass, just buy a good separate subwoofer (or two) to go with them. I like SVS subwoofers, but there are others worth considering.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis