Upgrading from Monitor Audio Silver S8?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG, the Silver S8 was fairly neutral, but with a very 'rough' response.
Here is the MA S8 Stereophile Measurement of the On-Axis and Off-Axis.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-8-loudspeaker-measurements

The Off-Axis looks pretty decent.

The On-Axis looks to be +/-2.5dB from 50Hz-20kHz, which is considered accurate.

I don't see the "rough" response.

FR of +/-2.5dB should not produce a bright sound. From 2kHz-4kHz, the response is about -2.5dB, which is definitely not bright. From 7kHz-10kHz, it's about 0.0dB, again not bright.

I say "actual" because what the company says is one thing, but what's measured is another. :D

Last edited:
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
^That's the response of the relatively new Silver 8, not the much older Silver S8.

My post talked about the much older Silver S8.

(The Monitor Audio Silver names can be confusing. The Silver S series preceded the Silver RS series, then came the RX series, then the Silver 1,2,6,8,10 series, and now the Silver 50, 100, 200, 300, 500 series, which I think is sometimes called the Silver 6G series for sixth generation.)

The Silver 8 fixes many of the issues found in the Silver S8 (better tweeter power handling, smaller dedicated midrange has better directivity match to tweeter, metal cone resonances better suppressed, bass resonances reduced).

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
As I understand it, the Silver line as available now is much improved. How much, I suppose, is as subjective as anything else. Knowing what I do today, I would not change the speakers I have for anything mass market near that price range. To me, the BMRs at Jim’s pricing are still tower killers for anything close.
If flat and accurate implies a touch of brightness that is not part of the room itself... eq it between 1500 and 3000. No more than -1.5dB right at 2k worked well for me... then a gentle recovery back to the regular curve above and below that frequency. Worth a try if you haven’t... :)
It is much improved. All have better tweeters. All have less pronounced cone resonances. The Silver 8 and 10, and newest Silver 300 and 500, have dedicated midranges, making them three ways instead of 2 1/2 ways like the S8, RS8, RX8 were. And those (newer) models with the dedicated midrange have better directivity matching between the mid and tweeter.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis