Upgrade to 4K time !

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd like to upgrade to a 4K TV, currently own a 8 year old Sony Bravia 50-inch LCD. Have only a handful of 4K blu-ray movies, they look great on the TV I have, would like to see if they are 'eye-popping' on a 4K! :D

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I'd like to upgrade to a 4K TV, currently own a 8 year old Sony Bravia 50-inch LCD. Have only a handful of 4K blu-ray movies, they look great on the TV I have, would like to see if they are 'eye-popping' on a 4K! :D
I’ve never actually sit and watched a 4K display except in a store I’ve had 1080I for years it’s hard to imagine it can be that muck better but we going to see .

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I’ve never actually sit and watched a 4K display except in a store I’ve had 1080I for years it’s hard to imagine it can be that muck better but we going to see .
You honestly won't notice much difference depending on the source (if you have a decent 1080p set). The picture quality may appear better, but that's usually do to a better TV that's calibrated rather than resolution.

If you have a good display that does a good job with HDR content, then that will be where the eye popping comes in. My best HDR display is still just OK and it's a big difference.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Been looking all day at several stores can get a Samsung 65 inch Q90T at Best Buy for a decent price and a 75 in the same model for a few hundred more . It’s got a gorgeous picture as did the LG I looked at . Iam really leaning toward the 65 Q90T Samsung as I’ve had there products with good results for years and it is there top of the line display right now . I’ve read a poop ton of reviews and the LG is mabey a better picture Mabey but the LG’s do have known issues and this was noted by the reviewers and the sales people I talked to today but dam it is a great display !
I'm interested in hearing what you've heard about the LG's known issues. There are some, including burn-in and brightness, but I can't imagine going for LCD instead if image quality was my main goal.

Still, the Q90T from Samsung is well reviewed despite blooming as is apparent with all LCD displays.
HDTVTest does a good job with their reviews and they do like this model...

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I'm interested in hearing what you've heard about the LG's known issues. There are some, including burn-in and brightness, but I can't imagine going for LCD instead if image quality was my main goal.

Still, the Q90T from Samsung is well reviewed despite blooming as is apparent with all LCD displays.
HDTVTest does a good job with their reviews and they do like this model...
Mainly the burn in issue on the LG don’t get me wrong it’s an awesome picture on the LG for sure and to my eye slightly better than the Q 90 T . I have read of the blooming on the Q90T it is a concern too .

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I keep looking at the Sony 85in 900 but not in the market until this summer. :)

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I keep looking at the Sony 85in 900 but not in the market until this summer. :)
The dude at Best Buy told me today that the 2021 models start hitting the stores March 28 th so I will wait just a bit to see what comes out a week or two won’t hurt me .
I did check out the Sony 900 series too very nice display in about any size .

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I went with the sony 75 inch 950h. We sit 10 feet from the TV, and a month and half after purchase, I have no regrets about the size we chose. It's mounted in the living room that gets fairly bright. It has a great picture and plenty big enough for us. Is it a perfect tv for the critical videophile? No, but black levels and contrast are really good , and streamed HDR content from a roku ultra through a yamaha 3060 look pretty great, as do sports and other content. I got it on sale , and just couldn't justify 1k more for an oled.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
After more research the Sony 75in 950 and the LG 77in CX look tempting but very curious on the new TVs coming out too. I am looking at August timeframe so I have some time. I would be leaning towards the Sony models based on price.

The Samsung doesn’t have Dolby Vision so that’s a minus for me.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
After more research the Sony 75in 950 and the LG 77in CX look tempting but very curious on the new TVs coming out too. I am looking at August timeframe so I have some time. I would be leaning towards the Sony models based on price.

I would imagine the new models will just be a refresh of the current in anything OLED. They might introduce a cheaper 8k model, but meh.

More HDMI 2.1 ports is going to be the main thing you'll see.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Pulled the trigger on a 2021 model Samsung from our friends at Crutchfield bought a QN 65 QN 90 A the newer version of the one I wanted but was out of stock every where I looked .
They made the process of buying it online easy and reassured me of process of haveing it shipped instead of picking one up in say Best Buy or other stores near buy . It should arrive by Friday.
it seems all the local sources Best Buy and the like are way down of tv’s and home electronics Covid I guess most told me they had no clue when they could get new models to replenish there stock .
I’ll update when it’s set up and running Thanks Gentlmen for your help and suggestions !!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

So, I talked to my brother in law yesterday and he works for Best Buy. What I forgot is that he is the LG rep for his store so he actually works for LG.

He told me that the things coming are this:

42" 4k 120hz TV for PC gamers/small rooms.

A series that is 4k, but DOESN't support 120hz so it's actually a 60hz panel for "budget" TVs.

He also said they've developed a new panel for the 120hz sets that supposedly much better at fending off any sort of image retention and black crush when the panel goes into a lower frame rate when people are using sources that support VRR.

He also said that his store demos don't have any burn in at all since he does some sort of cleaning procedure on them at the end of every day. Not sure what he meant there, but it's interesting. I'd guess it's like the "eraser" feature on my plasma that just wipes across the screen with a very bright white image and a dead black image.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
So, I talked to my brother in law yesterday and he works for Best Buy. What I forgot is that he is the LG rep for his store so he actually works for LG.

He told me that the things coming are this:

42" 4k 120hz TV for PC gamers/small rooms.

A series that is 4k, but DOESN't support 120hz so it's actually a 60hz panel for "budget" TVs.

He also said they've developed a new panel for the 120hz sets that supposedly much better at fending off any sort of image retention and black crush when the panel goes into a lower frame rate when people are using sources that support VRR.

He also said that his store demos don't have any burn in at all since he does some sort of cleaning procedure on them at the end of every day. Not sure what he meant there, but it's interesting. I'd guess it's like the "eraser" feature on my plasma that just wipes across the screen with a very bright white image and a dead black image.
A lg rep at my local Best Buy told me about some sort of scrubber built into some models to clean the image off if it looks like it’s retained an image. Kind of a neat concept I thought .

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
A lg rep at my local Best Buy told me about some sort of scrubber built into some models to clean the image off if it looks like it’s retained an image. Kind of a neat concept I thought .
Agreed. That's what he was referring to and it apparently works very well. I know it does for my plasma.

At least LG is aware of the "burn-in" perception the same way they were when they manufactured plasmas, but also that they're actively making the OLED panels more immune. I hope we get to where the last gen plasmas were with burn it. Mine is 8 years old at this point with no burn in whatsoever. It does retain an image for a bit when first turning it on, but that fades very fast.

If my 70" vizio craps out on me, I'll have to seriously consider what to get next, and that vizio is already turning purple. :mad:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed. That's what he was referring to and it apparently works very well. I know it does for my plasma.

At least LG is aware of the "burn-in" perception the same way they were when they manufactured plasmas, but also that they're actively making the OLED panels more immune. I hope we get to where the last gen plasmas were with burn it. Mine is 8 years old at this point with no burn in whatsoever. It does retain an image for a bit when first turning it on, but that fades very fast.

If my 70" vizio craps out on me, I'll have to seriously consider what to get next, and that vizio is already turning purple. :mad:
What the information I read says is the LG OLED “clear panel noise” feature takes 1 hr to complete. That’s a lot longer than any plasma feature takes.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats on the TV. Hisense H9G are getting great reviews as well for 4K PQ.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What the information I read says is the LG OLED “clear panel noise” feature takes 1 hr to complete. That’s a lot longer than any plasma feature takes.
That is a long time, but I'm willing to bet it isn't something that you need to do often, if at all. He only did it to the store displays at the end of the day since that's pretty much the harshest environment for TVs.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I went with the sony 75 inch 950h. We sit 10 feet from the TV, and a month and half after purchase, I have no regrets about the size we chose. It's mounted in the living room that gets fairly bright. It has a great picture and plenty big enough for us. Is it a perfect tv for the critical videophile? No, but black levels and contrast are really good , and streamed HDR content from a roku ultra through a yamaha 3060 look pretty great, as do sports and other content. I got it on sale , and just couldn't justify 1k more for an oled.
FWIW the PQ might be even better if you use the native android TV in the sony. I normally wouldn't say that, but we had a roku on a 1080p TV for years and didn't think anything of it. Well, it outlived it's usefulness and I put an extra (and much newer) device in it's place and was amazed at the difference. I would like to know what it is because I didn't change a thing on the TV or either of the boxes in relation to any picture settings.

Granted, your roku is new enough that it supports HDR so you may not have the same experience.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
FWIW the PQ might be even better if you use the native android TV in the sony. I normally wouldn't say that, but we had a roku on a 1080p TV for years and didn't think anything of it. Well, it outlived it's usefulness and I put an extra (and much newer) device in it's place and was amazed at the difference. I would like to know what it is because I didn't change a thing on the TV or either of the boxes in relation to any picture settings.

Granted, your roku is new enough that it supports HDR so you may not have the same experience.
Thank you for this! You bring up a really good point. I bought the 2020 Roku Ultra a few months ago and it's been great. But I can't help wondering if the apps in the TV would look even better. The only issue I have, is having to turn on ARC. Although, as long as it works, it's not big deal, especially if the picture is better. Thanks again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis