P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng, I didn't think it would be fair to take a guess since I already knew the 3600. it's the middle one. :)
Top one looks like the avr -x4500h (maybe :) )
Bottom one looks like Marantz SR7013 :)
Yep, if you look very carefully you can see the 4500's transformer is slighty larger, followed by the 6014 at the bottom, 7013' s transformer would be identical in size to the 4500's, likely exactly the same except look different on the outside.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Yep, if you look very carefully you can see the 4500's transformer is slighty larger, followed by the 6014 at the bottom, 7013' s transformer would be identical in size to the 4500's, likely exactly the same except look different on the outside.
Two out of three ain't bad. :) You can see why I chose the 7013, almost indistinguishable from the 6014.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone near the Niagara border? $600 for the 3600 and that's within the daily allowance for tax/duty free?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone near the Niagara border? $600 for the 3600 and that's within the daily allowance for tax/duty free?
Now we're talkin! That's a hell of a discount for that unit. Canada only though, huh?

H

Hyperbole

Enthusiast
Gene has been saying recently that he believes most AVRs (Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, etc.),not just Yamaha, have issues (even when using external amps) if the volume is high enough because they don't have a "separate preamp mode" that separates the internal amps from the preamp section.

@PENG I would assume that in "ECO" mode, the power and voltage would drop even more than normal mode?

So if someone were going to use a 300W external power amp, I would assume they would not want to use ECO mode?

Or did I miss the lecture day on ECO mode? :D
Let's hope we see some serious improvements next year

H

Hyperbole

Enthusiast
As you can see from my signature, I'm a big Yamaha fan and I would go that route again based on their build quality and QC. There stuff works and works well. Why do you want to upgrade? Is it to handle 4K pass through? Thats why I'm looking but I'm going the used route. If you dont care for the 4K video pass through, keep it. You will gain no sonic improvement except for more advanced room EQ. I'm using an RX-V1500, pre HDMI model in the bedroom and I see no need upgrade it there. The system in the great room is where I want to upgrade to hande 4K video pass through.
You are right, the reason I want to upgrade is for hdmi 2.1 plus some extra codecs, better DAC is also up there (mind you I've been happy with the burr Brown in my receiver). I have hdmi 1.4 in my rx-v3800. Better room correction is also high on my list and really I will put this as my first priority for my next receiver but I would be very disappointed if I couldn't get better raw sound quality.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You are right, the reason I want to upgrade is for hdmi 2.1 plus some extra codecs, better DAC is also up there (mind you I've been happy with the burr Brown in my receiver). I have hdmi 1.4 in my rx-v3800. Better room correction is also high on my list and really I will put this as my first priority for my next receiver but I would be very disappointed if I couldn't get better raw sound quality.
If you mean raw as in pure direct with YPAO disengaged, then you will be disaapointed. There will be no change in sonic signature between the new and old. The amps in the RX-V3800 are powerful and clean. However, it looks like your after the new features . Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :)

H

Hyperbole

Enthusiast
If you mean raw as in pure direct with YPAO disengaged, then you will be disaapointed. There will be no change in sonic signature between the new and old. The amps in the RX-V3800 are powerful and clean. However, it looks like your after the new features . Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :)
Thanks 3db for a good frank answer. Merry Christmas

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis