Upgrade Receiver/amp?

S

S_singh

Enthusiast
Hi members newbie here. Just recently purchased svs ultra bookshelf’s, ultra center and svs sub. I have a pretty outdated receiver, Yamaha rx-v860, was wondering would an upgrade be needed for the receiver or should I add an amp like an Emotiva basex A3. Why I’m saying 3 channel because if I decided on adding more speakers in near future, I could run them from the receiver. Thinking of upgrading because since the switch to svs from def techs studio monitor 55, the svs seem to be more power hungry and volume has to be turned up more. I tried the Marantz cinema 50 over the weekend and we all agreed that it felt like a lateral move so I returned. Usage will be 80% movies/tv. Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't find much from DefTec specs (not surprising) but found someone saying they're 90dB sensitive. The SVS Ultra bookshelfs are rated by SVS at 87dB. That would indicate it would take a doubling of amp power to create equal spl on the face of it (i.e. to make the SVS equal loudness to the DefTecs), but would need to see detailed measurements to see if that really bears out outside of the spec.

I don't particularly care for the Basx series of amps, they're little more capable than typical avr amps. I do seem to remember the 860 had some limiter issues,, tho. If the 860 has a set of pre-outs then you do have the flexibility for more powerful amps, tho.

S

S_singh

Enthusiast
The limiter issues was brought to my attention on this model by my neighbor as well. Good thing this receiver has pre-puts but I’m contemplating going amp or just upgrading receiver for the updated specs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bigger fan of Denon than Marantz for the pricing of pretty much identical units. I wouldn't mind Yamaha, but don't speak its language particularly as have been more in the Pionkyo/D&M camp for my avrs.

S

S_singh

Enthusiast
Bigger fan of Denon than Marantz for the pricing of pretty much identical units. I wouldn't mind Yamaha, but don't speak its language particularly as have been more in the Pionkyo/D&M camp for my avrs.
Appreciate your input I guess I’ll keep researching on avr’s

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Appreciate your input I guess I’ll keep researching on avr’s
A nice tool for comparing feature sets on avrs is zkelectronics.com. Take your time, don't consider just current but also future requirements (if any).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is accesories4less a reputable site?
I've used them several times. If buying refurb items you must understand the terms of sale, tho....not quite like buying new stuff from typical vendors. I found them to be fine in my transactions. Whether a refurb item is something you want to take risk with is another consideration (but many do so well and easily....I had issues with the quality of the factory refurb itself, not A4L).

S

S_singh

Enthusiast
I've used them several times. If buying refurb items you must understand the terms of sale, tho....not quite like buying new stuff from typical vendors. I found them to be fine in my transactions. Whether a refurb item is something you want to take risk with is another consideration (but many do so well and easily....I had issues with the quality of the factory refurb itself, not A4L).
Gotcha, thanks again

S

S_singh

Enthusiast
I just came across a open box/excellent condition Denon x6700h from a local big box retailer, would I be missing much if I didn’t go with the newer x6800?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just came across a open box/excellent condition Denon x6700h from a local big box retailer, would I be missing much if I didn’t go with the newer x6800?
Biggest differences would the 6700 wouldn't have the four independent sub adjustments nor Dirac option.

S

S_singh

Enthusiast
Biggest differences would the 6700 wouldn't have the four independent sub adjustments nor Dirac option.
Don’t see myself running more than 2 subs in near future, not sure about the Dirac option though

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don’t see myself running more than 2 subs in near future, not sure about the Dirac option though
Personally I stick more to older tech longer than adopting new tech sooner...still just 1080p/plasma/7.1 lossless for now in a few systems and a few others not far beyond that. No need for 4k (but have an Oppo capable) or Atmos (don't want to get in my ceiling install issues)

S

S_singh

Enthusiast
Personally I stick more to older tech longer than adopting new tech sooner...still just 1080p/plasma/7.1 lossless for now in a few systems and a few others not far beyond that. No need for 4k (but have an Oppo capable) or Atmos (don't want to get in my ceiling install issues)
Unfortunately for me my 2 teens have these gaming stations that require these stupid upgrades.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi members newbie here. Just recently purchased svs ultra bookshelf’s, ultra center and svs sub. I have a pretty outdated receiver, Yamaha rx-v860, was wondering would an upgrade be needed for the receiver or should I add an amp like an Emotiva basex A3. Why I’m saying 3 channel because if I decided on adding more speakers in near future, I could run them from the receiver. Thinking of upgrading because since the switch to svs from def techs studio monitor 55, the svs seem to be more power hungry and volume has to be turned up more. I tried the Marantz cinema 50 over the weekend and we all agreed that it felt like a lateral move so I returned. Usage will be 80% movies/tv. Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
Adding an external amp, especially a lower quality amp, usually isn't the answer.

If the Marantz isn't the answer, try another Yamaha AVR (like RX-A4A).

S

S_singh

Enthusiast
Adding an external amp, especially a lower quality amp, usually isn't the answer.

If the Marantz isn't the answer, try another Yamaha AVR (like RX-A4A).
Was considering the A6A or A8A, would I miss much if I chose the A4A over the other 2?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis