UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I joined and posted also but my post was rather terse and incendiary. Perhaps a PM to a moderator may remove both him and his post. To think someone would transfer funds to him via PayPal is just a bit much.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I remember a few years ago, he was selling personal items on his company forum in the classifieds sections and there were plenty of upset people complaining on the forum of late and non-delivered goods. There were threads that got really, really heated. It was the time period just before the forum was shut down for the 1st time for that long stretch. Some might recall this?

Last edited:
scout

scout

Audiophyte
I remember a few years ago, he was selling personal items on his company forum in the classifieds sections and there were plenty of upset people complaining on the forum of late and non-delivered goods. There were threads that got really, really heated. It was the time period just before the forum was shut down for the 1st time for that long stretch. Some might recall this?
I got burned on one of those and filled out an Internet Crime Complaint form against him at the time. Thought it was all long forgotten but a few weeks ago I was asked to forward my paper trail to Longmont law enforcement for their case against him. I can only hope it helps in the judgment against him.

Matt34

Matt34

I joined and posted also but my post was rather terse and incendiary. Perhaps a PM to a moderator may remove both him and his post. To think someone would transfer funds to him via PayPal is just a bit much.
Yeah, probably not the best way to go about it but still, your going to allow a known felon to continue to do "business" on your forum?

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Maybe somebody ought to PM a mod and point out some of Mark's past PayPal-related misdeeds? Rationally speaking, his track record makes him pretty damned suspect and forum owners could reasonably be uncomfortable allowing him to conduct transactions like that. At the very least, forum members ought to know what they're dealing with before they send even $20 to a guy who has a history of stealing tens of thousands of dollars from people via PayPal.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I got burned on one of those and filled out an Internet Crime Complaint form against him at the time. Thought it was all long forgotten but a few weeks ago I was asked to forward my paper trail to Longmont law enforcement for their case against him. I can only hope it helps in the judgment against him.
Can you/are you allowed to share your story?

D

drab

Enthusiast
I think we should buy as much as we can from him cause if he rips us off now it will go a long way toward a less lenient sentencing.:D

M

mziegler

Audioholic
Did you save posts? Did Shifty ever respond?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Regretfully, I did not save it and when I hit refresh it was gone like a fart in the Colorado breeze.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
A few weeks ago, huh? Seems like there just might be something else brewing. I wonder if this goes the distance and he's found guilty once again will the sentence be set to run concurrently or consecutively? Harman, where are you?!

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
The mod at DIYaudio has now setup the thread so that any new posts must be approved before it is posted.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The mod at DIYaudio has now setup the thread so that any new posts must be approved before it is posted.
Atleast they allowed a caveat emptor.

rubiconman said:
No personal attach here, but I think it is clear that in this case, as with any purchase of this type, due diligence is highly advised.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Of course, the catch is that "Rubicon" is not a label that casual forum members would associate with Mark Schifter or AV123. Due diligence would be easier if people could tell who he actually was...

A

AK907

Audiophyte
I recall that and actually inquired into the BM Ref 1's (he didn't list a price just said a GREAT deal), based on what others were selling them for both on the site classifieds and A'gon he was trying to be a highway robber. Maybe he thought they'd be worth more because he'd touched them.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I think the CO AG should be made aware of these sales if they are not listed as part of his assets, seems that that there would be legal issues involved.

R

rotorooter

Audioholic Intern
I was hoping someone could clear up a question that I've had for sometime now. Schifter always claimed he was an OEM for other speaker companies. That's how I remember it at least. Being as he wasn't a partner in Sound Art and the Cali operation came very late in the game I'm assuming then that this was just more lies. Did he make speakers for other companies and who were the companies? I always thought this might be one reason for delays in delivering his own speakers because he was utilizing his "factories" for others.

Matt34

Matt34

I was hoping someone could clear up a question that I've had for sometime now. Schifter always claimed he was an OEM for other speaker companies. That's how I remember it at least. Being as he wasn't a partner in Sound Art and the Cali operation came very late in the game I'm assuming then that this was just more lies. Did he make speakers for other companies and who were the companies? I always thought this might be one reason for delays in delivering his own speakers because he was utilizing his "factories" for others.
I'm pretty sure that was just another lie. He was a [deadbeat] customer to those OEM factories just like any other.

scout

scout

Audiophyte
Can you/are you allowed to share your story?
Honestly, I don't know. The investigator said to feel free to contact her with questions but said nothing about not discussing the case. I've been hesitant to say anything though. I'll email them and find out what is what before saying anything else just in case. It's not that big a deal money-wise but still...it's only time I got ripped off in 15 years of buying and selling on the internet.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
That can be a good thing. Hopefully, people who are interested in making a purchase might think twice when they realize the circumstances regarding the mod approval before the post appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis