UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
20 Minutes to Your Favorite Show

Let's make a deal. I'll bet he had a good bkfst and maybe an early lunch.

D

dane

Audioholic Intern
All of those were built by SAC...
correct.

Also, if they will be seven years old this Christmas...
yup-- easy to remember, they were the last "big upgrade" (speakers) before our first child was born. The next upgrade (electronics) didn't come until this year. Hopefully they'll last another 7+ years before needing to be replaced. I love this (A/V) hobby, but it's just so expensive..

..dane

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
The physical objects in your home - MDF, veneer, drivers, wires, capacitors, resistors, and so forth - will not be changed by a court judgment anymore than they were changed by the earlier indictment or the even earlier misdeeds that led to the indictment...
I understand your post gonk, but that is definitely not true for me. Enjoyment from music is mostly an emotional thing. Knowing the karma of my speakers, for lack of a better way to put it, really was a killer for me. Everything had to go. Earlier this week I came across the receipt from my initial av123 purchase and that even managed to aggravate me a little, as it provides a reminder of my gullibility.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
I can relate to that - I feel similarly about my Ninja X-LS's and part of me looks forward to changing them out eventually. The hardware still hasn't changed, though. It still operates the same way, and for some people that's enough.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Not that I've heard. We may not known until Monday.
Hopefully, he doesn't get any community service - and suggests that he go into high schools and teach students how to build speakers. That would be the equivalent of John Gotti getting community service and teaching students how to make and manage money. :D :rolleyes:

R

rotorooter

Audioholic Intern
Believe it or not, my 750-NMs, RSC200-NM, RSS-300's, and twin UFW-10's have been working flawlessly since day one. All will be about seven years old this Christmas... But I do know they had more quality problems starting a few years after that... It's a real shame all that's transpired...

Regardless of what happens today, I do still enjoy my home theater...

..dane
Dane, I mean you no harm, but don't try so hard. We all know how you feel about the big guy but I think what's transpired is a bit more than a real shame. And I would warn anyone, as if I need to, who's considering a new or used purchase of the big guy's products in the future to look at that as something akin to buying a pig in a poke.

D

dane

Audioholic Intern
Dane, I mean you no harm, but don't try so hard. We all know how you feel about the big guy but I think what's transpired is a bit more than a real shame.
Chill man.. I'm not "trying" for anything.. I don't use extremely "vivid" language like some others do. Yes, what's gone down really does stink. No need to try and read more from my posts than I'm inserting..

The stuff from Sound Art China has held up well. I don't know if MLS had ownership or partnership or was just a customer of theirs-- or if they're even still around (I think SAC was Mr Pu's?), but the SAC stuff has seemed to be good quality in the long run.

..dane

T

tonygeno

Junior Audioholic
The stuff from Sound Art China has held up well. I don't know if MLS had ownership or partnership or was just a customer of theirs-- or if they're even still around (I think SAC was Mr Pu's?), but the SAC stuff has seemed to be good quality in the long run.

..dane
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/swans/swans.html

Apparently they are still in business. Look at second paragraph from the bottom of the link. Looks like AV123 had a good partner that made good stuff.

Last edited:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know if MLS had ownership or partnership or was just a customer of theirs-- or if they're even still around (I think SAC was Mr Pu's?)
C'mon, you know the answer to this. :D

Hope you have a great day.

D

dane

Audioholic Intern
C'mon, you know the answer to this. :D

Hope you have a great day.
Actually, whether or not I ever DID know it is not the question.. I honestly didn't remember if MLS/AV123 had ownership/partnership in SAC or if they were just a customer. And since I don't spend near as much time on this stuff as I did 7 years ago when I was getting into it, I didn't take the time to see if SAC was Mr. Pu's (looks like I did remember something right), and/or if they were still producing goods...

Too much going on in real life to spend all my time online these days.. :) Years ago I'd be on the forums hours a day.. Now it's maybe 15 minutes. Job is really busy (speaking of which, we're looking for a good DSP/ARM software engineer, and maybe another FPGA electrical engineer, if anybody reading knows of any-- PM me offline), family is growing and becoming more busy... you know how it goes!

The key word is had.

And YES, SAC is still in business and they are building our own LCR cabinets.
Glad to see they're still around and doing well. I didn't read the entire 6moons article linked above but the little bit I did read seemed very favorable.

cheers,
..dane

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Chill man.. I'm not "trying" for anything.. I don't use extremely "vivid" language like some others do. Yes, what's gone down really does stink. No need to try and read more from my posts than I'm inserting..

..dane
Hi Dane,

Can you fill me in on what lines were made by SAC? I have a set of the Strants Mini's and was just wondering how long I could expect them to last. They are 3 years old now.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The saddest thing about this Dane, is it is real life and there are a lot of individuals and families even that have been affected this. :( It is also a black mark on the audio industry.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Actually, whether or not I ever DID know it is not the question.. I honestly didn't remember if MLS/AV123 had ownership/partnership in SAC or if they were just a customer. And since I don't spend near as much time on this stuff as I did 7 years ago when I was getting into it, I didn't take the time to see if SAC was Mr. Pu's (looks like I did remember something right), and/or if they were still producing goods...
The way Mark talked at the time, he had an ownership share in SAC - he was never clear how big a share, but we were clearly meant to believe it to be something significant. This was an integral part of his sales pitch. He said a lot about the way he valued his stake in the factory and the well-being of his employees there. As it turns out, that was all a lie - one more of many lies that he intentionally used to build up both his company and himself. Neither Mark nor AV123 had any ownership in the company, at least not based on facts that have come to light in the last few years. Mark was simply a client of SAC, one who abused the business relationship by making false claims about his role in the company. Maybe he did sincerely care about the well-being of Mr. Pu's staff, but I doubt it - if he had, he would have paid his invoices. It's one more reason why I can see no way for Mark to regain any credibility as a businessman again, at least for me. He's been a crook and a liar and a cheat too consistently, and a "silver-tongued devil" is still, in the end, a devil.

The factory itself never closed - they simply refused to continue doing business with Mark and AV123 because AV123 never bothered to pay their invoices. It would be curious to know how much of the factory invoice for your speakers actually got paid to SAC, since it would have taken a while to build up that seven-figure debt prior to being cut off (which happened some time in 2007, I think).

When thinking about all the hard work you put in with your job, the hours you invest in work and family rather than in personal interests, and all the things you've chosen to do without in order to support your family, compare that to all the ways that Mark found to leech money from his company and his community of supporters so he could enjoy life. It's a sobering comparison to make.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Hi Dane,

Can you fill me in on what lines were made by SAC? I have a set of the Strants Mini's and was just wondering how long I could expect them to last. They are 3 years old now.
Hugh could probably say more accurately than me, but I believe the Minis were built by SAC. That would have been right around the end of the business relationship - the Minis were reportedly discontinued because of a parts availability issue (tweeter, I think), but the timing coincides well with when Rockets ceased being built by SAC.

R

rotorooter

Audioholic Intern

..dane
Thanks Dane. My comments had the desired effect.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Hugh could probably say more accurately than me, but I believe the Minis were built by SAC. That would have been right around the end of the business relationship - the Minis were reportedly discontinued because of a parts availability issue (tweeter, I think), but the timing coincides well with when Rockets ceased being built by SAC.
Thanks,

Yeah, my tweeters blew during calibration testing. I think a few people ran into the same problem. Back then, they replaced them at no charge, even though I insisted that it was my fault.

H

Hugh-Melody

Audioholic
Right on the money. :)
The way Mark talked at the time, he had an ownership share in SAC - he was never clear how big a share, but we were clearly meant to believe it to be something significant. This was an integral part of his sales pitch. He said a lot about the way he valued his stake in the factory and the well-being of his employees there. As it turns out, that was all a lie - one more of many lies that he intentionally used to build up both his company and himself. Neither Mark nor AV123 had any ownership in the company, at least not based on facts that have come to light in the last few years. Mark was simply a client of SAC, one who abused the business relationship by making false claims about his role in the company. Maybe he did sincerely care about the well-being of Mr. Pu's staff, but I doubt it - if he had, he would have paid his invoices. It's one more reason why I can see no way for Mark to regain any credibility as a businessman again, at least for me. He's been a crook and a liar and a cheat too consistently, and a "silver-tongued devil" is still, in the end, a devil.

The factory itself never closed - they simply refused to continue doing business with Mark and AV123 because AV123 never bothered to pay their invoices. It would be curious to know how much of the factory invoice for your speakers actually got paid to SAC, since it would have taken a while to build up that seven-figure debt prior to being cut off (which happened some time in 2007, I think).

When thinking about all the hard work you put in with your job, the hours you invest in work and family rather than in personal interests, and all the things you've chosen to do without in order to support your family, compare that to all the ways that Mark found to leech money from his company and his community of supporters so he could enjoy life. It's a sobering comparison to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis