Universal URC MX-450 Remote Control First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Universal Remote Control, Inc. released the new MX-450 a stand-alone IR/RF programmable remote control with 2-inch color LCD screen. Custom installers can program and set up the remote in minutes without a PC or Internet connection and URC's MacroEdit firmware allows for full macro editing on the MX-450’s LCD screen. The point of the MX-450 seems to be getting a PC-free remote into the hands of custom installers who may not be apt to bring along a laptop to the jobsite. The MX-450 also provides an advanced, GUI-driven macro programming and EDITING interface, something that is new to the remote control world.

Discuss "Universal URC MX-450 First Look" here. Read the article.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I'm wondering how different the update software really is. I have been in the market for a good remote and this looks similar to the MX 810...but the software associated with that remote was pretty bad according to the reviews (thanks banphan for pointing that out before I made a mistake). Hopefully this is easier to work with.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The onboard interface is a new directon for the ci products. The 810 wizard was a flop, imo. The other ci remotes still use the editors which imo allow for very good macro editing. The 450 looks like a baby 980, and should provide a good alternative for smaller setups. Good review clint....btw whens the msc400 review comming.

I need to get that out soon - waaaaaay overdue. The MX-3000/MSC-400 combo is a dream system. I cannot believe how well my system runs now. And it wasn't all that hard to set up (thanks to the Alpha templates for the MX-3000.)

This new remote is intriguiing due to it being part of their Complete Control Suite, but yet having the on-board capability to be programmed apart from the PC interface. We'll know more at CEDIA and I'd like to actually handle it a bit and possibly line up a review (though I've got my sights set on the two-way MX-6000 as well).

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I wish I could get my hands on the MX-3000/MSC-400 combo. Starting a theater from scratch has been expensive and I have to cut corners somewhere. Maybe I can get something like that in a year or two...after the wallet sting has gone away and the wife isn't so upset about it anymore! :) In the meantime Bandphan has been hooking me up with the info I need to get the best product possible in my budget range. It has piqued my interest in controllers and I am really interested in this remote...but I would really love to hear what you have to say about the MSC400 as well. I heard setting it up could be difficult.

itschris

itschris

Now this is what I was waiting for... a good looking, capable, RF remote that doesn't cost ten million dollars!

This might be the remote for me. I can't imagine my system would require anything more complex than this.

O

ObliviusConsumr

Audiophyte
This remote looks great and all but no PS3 bluetooth support? C'mon! When is a company going to finally make a universal remote that works for the millions of PS3 owners?:confused: I'm juggling 5 remotes now because I refuse to pay for a universal remote that isn't actually "universal."

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
This remote looks great and all but no PS3 bluetooth support? C'mon! When is a company going to finally make a universal remote that works for the millions of PS3 owners?:confused: I'm juggling 5 remotes now because I refuse to pay for a universal remote that isn't actually "universal."
Keep waiting for bluetooth support:rolleyes: You need an ir to bluetooth converter. Its Sony that has the issue;)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Nice first post. :eek:

Sony decides to go bluetooth for one single AV product, and now its everyone else's fault, including URC.... :rolleyes:

itschris

itschris

I'm close to pulling the trigger on this, but I have two quick questions... from what I'm reading, there's no PC programming available... so is this something I'll be able to do myself given the fact I've never done it before and have minimal experience programming remotes?

Also, I'm assuming I have to have some sort of base station that converts the RF to IR so I can have those doo-hicky things hanging in front of my equipment.... correct? My Elite and I think my DVD has an ir plug so i don't need to dangle it in front of the "eye" on the component... yes? If I'm right in needing a base station, which one should I get? I need some guidance.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I'm close to pulling the trigger on this, but I have two quick questions... from what I'm reading, there's no PC programming available... so is this something I'll be able to do myself given the fact I've never done it before and have minimal experience programming remotes?

Also, I'm assuming I have to have some sort of base station that converts the RF to IR so I can have those doo-hicky things hanging in front of my equipment.... correct? My Elite and I think my DVD has an ir plug so i don't need to dangle it in front of the "eye" on the component... yes? If I'm right in needing a base station, which one should I get? I need some guidance.
at the least the mrf350. The base stations allow for addressing of components(allows for multiple base stations and identical gear without conflict), choice of control(ir/rf or both) and have ir gain adjustments. Ive had issues with the 250 being 100% dead on. As for programming, i havent done one yet, but you should be fine.

S

s52e368

Full Audioholic
been looking at this unit or going with the harmony one any thoughts from owners ?

itschris

itschris

been looking at this unit or going with the harmony one any thoughts from owners ?
The Harmony has both it's detractors and it's fans. My neighbor just got it not to long ago and seems to love it just fine. He doesn't have a very complicated setup at all however. He just uses it to switch inputs on his TV and control his DVD player, though I don't see how that would make that much difference.

I think the biggest gripe is it has no RF capabilities. For my setup where I have all my equipment in a cabinet, this is a bigger issue. The IR just doesn't work well and some of the delay times I would need would make it a pain in the butt to just sit there holding the remote pointed at the system while the macros run.

At least in my situation, RF is where it's at and I've gotten that from the folks here who' likely forgotten more about this stuff then I'll ever know. ;)

S

s52e368

Full Audioholic
The Harmony has both it's detractors and it's fans. My neighbor just got it not to long ago and seems to love it just fine. He doesn't have a very complicated setup at all however. He just uses it to switch inputs on his TV and control his DVD player, though I don't see how that would make that much difference.

I think the biggest gripe is it has no RF capabilities. For my setup where I have all my equipment in a cabinet, this is a bigger issue. The IR just doesn't work well and some of the delay times I would need would make it a pain in the butt to just sit there holding the remote pointed at the system while the macros run.

At least in my situation, RF is where it's at and I've gotten that from the folks here who' likely forgotten more about this stuff then I'll ever know. ;)
so you ahve a 450 ?

i think that for the price of the ONE it should have rf. but thats really my only issue is that a big enough issue to go with the URC

Last edited:
itschris

itschris

so you ahve a 450 ?

i think that for the price of the ONE it should have rf. but thats really my only issue is that a big enough issue to go with the URC
Not as of yet. I'm waiting to make a final decision until around xmas time. I keep hearing roomers of an RF version of the Harmony One. We'll see what happens. I'm not looking to spend a few hundred dollars, yet I want a good looking, great working remote. That doesn't leave much. Right now, the 450 looks like the only game in town for me. We'll see what Logitech does with the Harmony.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
at the least the mrf350. The base stations allow for addressing of components(allows for multiple base stations and identical gear without conflict), choice of control(ir/rf or both) and have ir gain adjustments. Ive had issues with the 250 being 100% dead on. As for programming, i havent done one yet, but you should be fine.
I have thought about doing this, especoaily since All my equipment, except for the DsiHNetwork receiver and TV are behind cabinet doors. But if I understand a MRF350 cost about $250 and the MX-450 about $250 , so you are talking about $500 correct?

Also, how good is it at emulating all of the satellite controller functions ?

Thanks and very interesting thread , at least to me?

MidCow2

I have bought some cheaper univerals, but they never did fully work to my satisfaction. I can program most of the stuff into the marantz controoler except for some of the DVD and a lot of the Satellite receiver. Maybe, I just haven't spent enough time.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I have thought about doing this, especoaily since All my equipment, except for the DsiHNetwork receiver and TV are behind cabinet doors. But if I understand a MRF350 cost about $250 and the MX-450 about $250 , so you are talking about $500 correct?

MidCow2

I have bought some cheaper univerals, but they never did fully work to my satisfaction. I can program most of the stuff into the marantz controoler except for some of the DVD and a lot of the Satellite receiver. Maybe, I just haven't spent enough time.
I don't know how important it is for you to have the pretty color pictures but I picked up an MX-900 and a MRF-260 on ebay for $112. It's an option...

bandphan

bandphan

Banned

MidCow2

I have found very few peices of equipment that there are no work arounds for. The URC remotes will replace your oem remotes, all functions to be programmed. The base stations with assignable ir outputs allow for control of identicle gear without conflict and with URC partnering with Lutron, new remotes get native rf control over their products.

Z

zamboni99

Audiophyte
rfs 100 question

will the mx 450 work with the rfs 100 base station?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
They both run in the 418mhz RF frequency so they should work together. I would email URC just to make sure.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis