Under $600 Receiver Advice: Denon vs Onkyo

HTME123

Enthusiast
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hard to say without knowing your needs, speaker load, etc.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Denon AVR-X3400=good......Onkyo TX-NR676 not so good. Any questions......LOL???? ;););) No really, I much prefer Audyssey XT32 w/Sub EQ HT to Accu EQ any day of the week. Just saying................

Cheers,

Phil

HTME123

Enthusiast
Hard to say without knowing your needs, speaker load, etc.
I've got a 5.1 setup currently, comprised primarily of B&W 601 bookshelf speakers so nothing too crazy but in the next few years I'll probaly upgrade to some towers or add more speakers to my setup.

would the advice change if I were looking at the THX certified Onkyo TX-NR777? That is almost the exact price of the Denon.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I've got a 5.1 setup currently, comprised primarily of B&W 601 bookshelf speakers so nothing too crazy but in the next few years I'll probaly upgrade to some towers or add more speakers to my setup.

would the advice change if I were looking at the THX certified Onkyo TX-NR777? That is almost the exact price of the Denon.
Back in the day Onkyo used to employ Audyssey in their avr's. A good while back Onkyo decided to ditch Audyssey and came out with AccuEQ. Have ready many times that people were not very happy with AccuEQ. Not to mention, Onkyo went through a series of bad HDMI boards.

Do you have or plan to have more than one sub? If so, the 3400 has Audyssey XT32 w/Sub EQ HT. Hence, you can EQ (2) subs whereas AccuEQ does not have that capability. Personally, I prefer Marantz, but Denon usually offers more features for less money. Yamaha is always in high contention with me. The reason being, Yamaha is known for their reliability/longevity. I still recommend the Denon over any of the Onkyo's. Just saying.........

Cheers.

Phil

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The $1,000 Denon X3400 on sale for $550 - $600 is unequivocally the better choice.

Last edited:

HTME123

Enthusiast
Back in the day Onkyo used to employ Audyssey in their avr's. A good while back Onkyo decided to ditch Audyssey and came out with AccuEQ. Have ready many times that people were not very happy with AccuEQ. Not to mention, Onkyo went through a series of bad HDMI boards.

Do you have or plan to have more than one sub? If so, the 3400 has Audyssey XT32 w/Sub EQ HT. Hence, you can EQ (2) subs whereas AccuEQ does not have that capability. Personally, I prefer Marantz, but Denon usually offers more features for less money. Yamaha is always in high contention with me. The reason being, Yamaha is known for their reliability/longevity. I still recommend the Denon over any of the Onkyo's. Just saying.........

Cheers.

Phil

I have no immediate plans for another sub. That said, it seems like there's a healthy dose of skepticism around the quality and longevity of Onkyo. Whatever I buy I want to last for a while. So quality is important.

I'm trying to stay under 600. Preferably, 500-550 any other units I should check out? Most of these units are 7-800 that are discounted at this point.

What do people recommend?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have no immediate plans for another sub. That said, it seems like there's a healthy dose of skepticism around the quality and longevity of Onkyo. Whatever I buy I want to last for a while. So quality is important.

I'm trying to stay under 600. Preferably, 500-550 any other units I should check out? Most of these units are 7-800 that are discounted at this point.

The idea is to focus more on the features that you need. However, based on my own experience w/Audyssey, YPAO, and MCACC I much prefer Audyssey. Right now you have no plans to go dual, but I venture to say that could easily change, no?

As I eluded to earlier, I prefer Marantz which also employs Audyssey. However, typically Denon offers more features for less money. As such, I usually end up w/Denon and never been disappointed. Yamaha also makes excellent avr's. YPAO also does a decent job, but once again it is no match for Audyssey inmho.

Acc4less has plenty of avr's to choose from all at very good prices. Have bought so many avr's from there that I have lost count. Thus, they sell factory refurbished avr's at great discounts. Not to mention, Acc4less are great folks to deal with. Here is a link:

https://www.accessories4less.com/

More specifically, Acc4less has the Denon AVR-X3300W for $499 and it is ~ $9 more for shipping. That is the avr I would opt for.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3300w/denon-avr-x3300w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Not exactly sure if the 3400 offers anything significant that the 3300 does not. Usually, new models offer very little real difference(s). Therefore, unless the 3400 offers something specific that the 3300 does NOT, then I would opt for the 3300 and save some money. Both offer Audyssey XT32 w/Sub EQ HT.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I would put off getting a receiver until you know what speakers you will get for sure or have it in hand.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would put off getting a receiver until you know what speakers you will get for sure or have it in hand.
I agree with mtrycraft.
If your current receiver still works and does what you need, keep using it until it doesn't.

Two reasons:
1) You run the risk of falling in love with a speaker that has greater load characteristics than your new AVR can manage.
2) New AVR features are added every year. Typically, they don't amount to much, but sometimes they do. For example, I have an older AVR that pre-dates Auddyssey Dynamic EQ. It still works fine, but not having Dynamic EQ made me replace it years before I otherwise would have!

TechHDS

Audioholic General

Than you should check out Accessories4less, Go check it out nice deals on Onkyos Marantz Pioneer Denon Integra..All with a minimum of a one year warranty. Since you seem to like Onkyos, there is the RZ810 for 549. 00 I believe, Denon 3300, 599 and Yamaha A850, 599.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would get receiver that fits your budget and has all features you need from either Denon / Marantz / Yamaha. Not really worth to look for other brands imo.

HTME123

Enthusiast
Thanks this is all very helpful.

A couple additional notes: my old HK AVR died a week ago, so there is definitely more of an urgent need for this. It lasted 10 years so can't complain. I've purchased Denon and Onkyo receivers in the past and have had good experiences with both BUT based on the feedback in this thread I'm going to lean towards Denon, Yamaha and Marantz (budget permitting).

Yamaha is more of a surprise for me as I never put them in the same class as Denon but it sounds like that was in error on my part...

I also have seen a lot of positive reviews about the Sony STR-DN 1080.. again another brand that I never put much stock in when it came to receivers.

I've seen the Sony DN1080 go down to 399 from 599, the Denon 3400 go down to 499/550 so I'll be watching for those deals. I'll have to re-educate myself on Yamaha as I'm unfamiliar with the comparable units.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks this is all very helpful.

A couple additional notes: my old HK AVR died a week ago, so there is definitely more of an urgent need for this. It lasted 10 years so can't complain. I've purchased Denon and Onkyo receivers in the past and have had good experiences with both BUT based on the feedback in this thread I'm going to lean towards Denon, Yamaha and Marantz (budget permitting).

Yamaha is more of a surprise for me as I never put them in the same class as Denon but it sounds like that was in error on my part...

I also have seen a lot of positive reviews about the Sony STR-DN 1080.. again another brand that I never put much stock in when it came to receivers.

I've seen the Sony DN1080 go down to 399 from 599, the Denon 3400 go down to 499/550 so I'll be watching for those deals. I'll have to re-educate myself on Yamaha as I'm unfamiliar with the comparable units.
Denon should be no brainer out of those options.

D

Digeneral

Audiophyte
I have the denon avr-x1300w. All of a sudden, while listening to the device the volume keeps turning down to 0 regularly. Someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I have the denon avr-x1300w. All of a sudden, while listening to the device the volume keeps turning down to 0 regularly. Someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Umm.. like your sitting got some music on or movie, and the volume goes to 0?.. depending on your display, I know on my unit -0 would make my ears bleed, so I am assuming yours is from 0 to 99 which 99 being full blast and 0 being no volume at all? Check your batteries in your remote, when batteries get weak they can cause your remote to do strange things besides not working. Or if you live in a apartment or close by to your neighbor, they could be messing with you, don't laugh I have seen this happen not to me but a friend of mine had that very thing happen to him. You can do a hard reset on your unit see if that clears it up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis