"Unbreaking America" - proposed concept on fixing our political system!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, yes I have seen that... actually forgot about it so thanks for the refresh!
I was a bit sad that the series was cancelled, and sadly this is not the first time a series that I enjoy that has been prematurely cancelled :(

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was hesitant to comment in this thread, as I was previously accused of - more or less - meddling in American affairs in a previous thread, although the accusation wasn't quite accurate.

Democracy is messy, corrupt, inefficient and divisive - but it's better than the alternatives, so we all should be wary of authoritarianism creeping into western societies.
Well, as OP of this thread (to the extent that counts for anything),your comments are totally welcome (as are anyone else's who is not a US citizen).
I appreciate seeing our system as viewed from "outside" as well as learning how other countries manage their own operations.

The notion that there is nothing of importance to be had from "outside" commentary/opinion is probably more of a reflection of you not adhering to tribal values believed by whoever criticized you than anything else. That is one of the most amazing (and disappointing) things about modern US society - how much political tribalism defines who we are and how hard most of us find it to appraise something without applying tribal values and deeming it discreetly good or evil accordingly! The obvious reality of humanity involves many shades of gray, but this system distills many aspects into black or white, and alarmingly, that often translates into admiration/love and contempt/hate!

I personally, know too many people who have an arsenal including assault weapons and or always have a concealed gun tucked in their belt. When I ask why, they respond it is to be ready if someone attacks them or the government comes after their weapons or otherwise denies their constitutional rights.
In a perfect world, I don't have a problem with that; however I do have a problem with people being so armed because I know a certain percentage of the population will be a little too quick to validate their decision to have these weapons available.
I had a friend in HS - brilliant and talented guy - straight A student. He was a starter on the HS basketball team and 1st trumpet in our HS band as well as the All-State band. He also had a black belt in karate and practiced at many other defense techniques such as throwing knives!
The problem was after a couple of beers, we routinely had to talk him out of getting into a fight with someone who may have slighted him in the way high school kids often do (deliberate or not). One time a mutual friend was on the phone leaning on the doorway and he threw a knife that stuck hard in the trim 2 inches from the guy's shoulder. He was confident enough in his throwing skills that he did not understand why we considered that such a big deal!
But my point is that I believe there is something in us that after we have spent time, money, and/or energy learning or preparing a skill or system we are inclined to want to use it. Reason or sanity will prevent a high percentage of people from doing so, but drugs (beer in the case of my friend),emotional rage (the currency of modern 24/7 news),or other stressors throw in a wild card!
After you add in the love/hate tribal judgement system, stability can get pretty tenuous!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I appreciate seeing our system as viewed from "outside"
Canada isn't 'that' outside. Canadians just think they're separate because somebody told them lack of national identity was the problem and hockey was the answer. The Donald is their president too.

:D :p

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
The content of the video is not important. Sorry to come off as being cynical just for having a bad day. It isn't so, honestly. The content of this video is the proverbial sand in your eyes. It is a perfect ZAP generation product. It is not meant to have any repercussions whatsoever. The entire purpose of this video ends exactly with the last second of the video. It is meant for today's kids that seek instant gratification inside the very marketing message itself. You're just supposed to have a micro-second though; oh, it's possible, so we can just go on then. And that's the end. You can expect the same amount of change or unbreaking as it ever came from an inspirational Facebook quote.

The end product is the distrust towards the government and this tread shows you swallowed it hook, sinker and all the other parts together with the fisherman.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Political systems are one thing and a dumbed-downed population is another. So long as you have the latter, you can never fix the former.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say by linking to an user manual for a Samsung TV :)
Well, if you don't know........:)

That was supposed to be applicable to this thread and now, I can't find what I was trying to copy.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Term limits! Some of those have been in Congress for decades, some are 80 years old. It's Congress that controls this country! They have the check book and they control it.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Not to mention the religious nuts that control certain sections of this country! With their beliefs they try to impose on everybody else!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Funny, in a sad way, to read things like this about a country that many fled to from Europe to avoid religious oppression.
Yeah, they wanted the freedom to dictate their own beliefs.

Not that the other end of the spectrum is any better. Look at the Freedom From Religion Foundation:

https://ffrf.org/legal/challenges

In theory an atheist like me should be aligned with these people, but I'm not. They fight stupid little battles that are irrelevant and just serve to annoy people participating in harmless activities. Is it really harming anyone if some people want to say a voluntary prayer before a football game on public property? They don't fight the big fights, like getting religion out of our courts and legislatures, because they know those fights are not win-able. So they just act as useless gadflies, and make everyone think those who don't believe in a deity want to squash freedom of religion. Personally, I think turning freedom from religion into a strategy to smother religion is no better than the Arizona lawmaker who wanted to mandate church attendance. The best path is making sure freedom of choice is enforced. I don't think forcing beliefs on people is sustainable, no matter what those beliefs are. In the US we can't even force people to vaccinate themselves.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, they wanted the freedom to dictate their own beliefs.

Not that the other end of the spectrum is any better. Look at the Freedom From Religion Foundation:

https://ffrf.org/legal/challenges

In theory an atheist like me should be aligned with these people, but I'm not. They fight stupid little battles that are irrelevant and just serve to annoy people participating in harmless activities. Is it really harming anyone if some people want to say a voluntary prayer before a football game on public property? They don't fight the big fights, like getting religion out of our courts and legislatures, because they know those fights are not win-able. So they just act as useless gadflies, and make everyone think those who don't believe in a deity want to squash freedom of religion. Personally, I think turning freedom from religion into a strategy to smother religion is no better than the Arizona lawmaker who wanted to mandate church attendance. The best path is making sure freedom of choice is enforced. I don't think forcing beliefs on people is sustainable, no matter what those beliefs are. In the US we can't even force people to vaccinate themselves.
People should never force beliefs on one another. That's the whole point of separation of church and state. NO decision made by the government should have ANYTHING to do with ANY religion. I'm not an atheist, but I'm not religious either, but I'm considering putting my kids in private school (which around here are apparently all religious) just because of how stupid schools have gotten. Why does everything have to be so difficult?

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
I’ve read the majority opinion in the Citizens United case and I only have a major issue with one aspect of their decision.

Corporations are not people. They are made up of people absolutely but those people may or may not be citizens. Corporations should not be allowed to donate money to political campaigns or make overt political adds.

i think ideally we would lift limits and make things very transparent. People that scream about corruption really should follow up on their interest. I highly recommend Secret Empires by Peter Shweizer which explains how modern corruption works. It would be nearly impossible to stop ... our best bet is investigative journalism which seems mostly dead.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I’ve read the majority opinion in the Citizens United case and I only have a major issue with one aspect of their decision.

Corporations are not people. They are made up of people absolutely but those people may or may not be citizens. Corporations should not be allowed to donate money to political campaigns or make overt political adds.

i think ideally we would lift limits and make things very transparent. People that scream about corruption really should follow up on their interest. I highly recommend Secret Empires by Peter Shweizer which explains how modern corruption works. It would be nearly impossible to stop ... our best bet is investigative journalism which seems mostly dead.
Corporate America has taken over America they pay absolutely no taxes. As far as corruption yeah organized crime they're just in legitimate business now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis