UN-Official Formula 1 Thread

annunaki

annunaki

Have to say, not expecting a Red Bull on the top step at SPA. Man I love that track...

Alonso still wringing all he can from that beast of a chassis. Sure would be nice of them to have a clean weekend for once.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Whoops, I'm late to the game on this...

That was one of the best races of the season! Congrats Ree-kee-are-dough, tho I do agree with their assessment that Vettel had years in which the car was set up for him; rear bias, which this year has been eliminated by those tiny wings. Ricciardo was brought up from the junior team and is saying, "Wow, this thing is way better than what I had!"

Personally, I am a believer in quantum mechanics, having owned a push rod BMW motorcycle.(the ability to adjust one valve, only to have one on the other side fall out of place despite not being physically connected) Which is why I maintain, that there is some minute performance advantage being found in Ricciardo's machine.

Mercedes-Benz must be embarrassed by their teams behavior and will be looking for trades or at least placing heavy sanctions to discourage this disaster. I mean if nothing else, as a business owner, they'd be thinking, "Guys, you're breaking our scheisse, this costs money! Knock it off!"

Bottas is Kimi Jr. No wonder they finished 3/4. Bottas and Williams are doing great, and have obviously figured out 95% of the tricks the Factory team is performing to achieve their speed. And Ferrari is desperate to maintain their image, but I'm most happy just to see Kimi getting grips with the car. There was a previous race where they had a camera set against a barrier at the exit of a turn, and Kimi was just railing it and came an inch off the wall. "Wow! Well, no one can say Kimi isn't trying!"

So Monza is next. Do you think Ferrari will at least get a podium at their home GP?

annunaki

annunaki

Monza is a low downforce power unit (engine) circuit. I expect Mercedes power to be at the front unless Ferrari have big upgrades planned for the home race. With Alonso in the car anything is possible though.

I am pulling for them as many of the Tifosi at the track will be too. Anything above 3rd is short of a miracle for them right now.

Whoops, I'm late to the game on this...

That was one of the best races of the season! Congrats Ree-kee-are-dough, tho I do agree with their assessment that Vettel had years in which the car was set up for him; rear bias, which this year has been eliminated by those tiny wings. Ricciardo was brought up from the junior team and is saying, "Wow, this thing is way better than what I had!"

Personally, I am a believer in quantum mechanics, having owned a push rod BMW motorcycle.(the ability to adjust one valve, only to have one on the other side fall out of place despite not being physically connected) Which is why I maintain, that there is some minute performance advantage being found in Ricciardo's machine.

Mercedes-Benz must be embarrassed by their teams behavior and will be looking for trades or at least placing heavy sanctions to discourage this disaster. I mean if nothing else, as a business owner, they'd be thinking, "Guys, you're breaking our scheisse, this costs money! Knock it off!"

Bottas is Kimi Jr. No wonder they finished 3/4. Bottas and Williams are doing great, and have obviously figured out 95% of the tricks the Factory team is performing to achieve their speed. And Ferrari is desperate to maintain their image, but I'm most happy just to see Kimi getting grips with the car. There was a previous race where they had a camera set against a barrier at the exit of a turn, and Kimi was just railing it and came an inch off the wall. "Wow! Well, no one can say Kimi isn't trying!"

So Monza is next. Do you think Ferrari will at least get a podium at their home GP?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
A fellow Wisonsinite is cheering for the prancing horse?! Or is it that good ole midwest 'love of the under-dog' thats tugging at your heart strings? Hehe.

I know over the break Montezemolo axed a bunch of people, which yeah it will help keep down the 'unsprung weight' of the team, but I hope they didn't mess with their technical people too much. Someone needs to figure out how to get power out of a 6 cylinder in that company. I mean, they figured out how to make more from less switching from 12 to 10 cylinders, I think it was the '04 model was the fastest F1 car, period! Surely they can get this figured out!

And they need to soon! Mclaren, for example, is now building their own production motors. They are switching to Honda motors next year as Honda re-enters the foray, but I wouldn't think it would be more than a few years until they produce an F1 engine. Given Ron Dennis' OCD nature, I would bet it will be a marvel. So I join you on the edge of the seat for next weeks race!

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Talking about Ferrari, I heard they've confirmed both Alonso & Kimi for the next season though... any official info??

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I see no info for it, but as I recall both of their contracts would still be valid for 2015. I can't see any reason for Ferrari to want to ditch two of the best drivers, whom also happen to get along very well!

That said, wasn't there a race yesterday? I was in Charleston SC for our 1 year anniversary. Don't want to look it up so I won't see the results! I'll try to go see it today!

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
No, the next race will be held up in Monza, one of the fastest tracks though! Ferrari must do something there, specially when running in their own backyard ;)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks yeah, I was all excited I guess and jumped a week ahead. Think I'm just thankful for the way this season has turned out. Yes Mercedes is on top, but at least the races are not quite so decided!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Monza is just such a beautiful track. What did you all think of the race?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
So how about Suzuka!? Since its still day of I won't mention it, til someone else does.... but I am searching every hour hoping to hear an update!

itschris

itschris

Easily one of the worst wrecks I've ever seen. Absolutely horrible. Hopefully Jules makes it through okay.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
We haven't lost a driver since Senna in '93. Considering what little life he has left, I consider this to be right up there. The questions I've still yet to answer:

1) Why were track personnel and a FRONT LOADER allowed out, without standing yellow conditions!?

2) That front loader was not actually on the track, so Jules lost control, what happened?

There is a video I saw that does a slo-mo and you can see how a few inches would have either; removed his head, or killed a track workers. What happened!?!

itschris

itschris

I think ultimately, the fault is really going to lie with Jules. I hate saying that, but the driver must maintain control of the car... especially during cautions. The double yellows were out which means you must be imediately prepared to stop in that section. Clearly he wasn't. I read a reliable source that claimed the telemetry showed about 120mph. Looking at that video... it's clear he wasn't going 50 like some have claimed. He wasn't on wet tires, the rain had increased the two previous laps... the desire to outpace Ericksen from Caterham who was newer rain tires may have pushed him to keep the gap. The driver's should police themselves, but given that just doesn't happen the FIA have to do something. I think mandatory speed limits during yellows are the answer. Not safety cars and stuff like that. It's pure uncontrollable speed which caused this accident.

You can ask, why was there a tractor out on the course... but I think the real question is why was he driving so unsafe given the circumstances that a wreck had already happened in that corner. The tractor ahs to remove the car... plain and simple. It's not the tractors positon or the workers who are at fault. At best... it's just one of those very freak things... but I think at worst... we need to admit that it's one that should have never have happened.

Look at this way... imagine he misses the tractor and takes out the guy holding the rope as they lifted Sutil's car. If he would have plowed into that guy at a 120mph and cut him him half and then went into the tires and walked away... like Sutil was able... I think the spotlight would have been focused very differently. There'd be a very different discussion taking place. I don't think anyone would be questioning why the marshal was there.

I don't mean to speak ill of Jules, especially while he's fighting for his life, but just analyzing the crash apart from the human tragedy is what I'm trying to do. There should be mandatory minimum speeds for yellows.. plain and simple. You disobey... you get the black flag and your race is over. Their testing a time delta rule in free practice 1 or 2 at COTA in a couple weeks. Hopefully that'll work.

Last edited:
avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Hi Guys,

let's get ready for the Austin race this w/e though. Both Catherham & Marussia will not be at the race at all, so there's gonna be 18 cars on the grid only.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ok kids, its 2015! Hope everyone is up to speed on the weekends turn of events.

In my book, 3rd place is now as good as 1st, so good on Vettel and I can't deny Ferrari earned it. Sauber is officially back in game, and Williams I can't take enough hats off to. To be in direct competition with Ferrari is just a testament to Frank's unwavering determination to win.

Honda's entry was a debacle, but given the lack of testing now available between seasons, they can only be faulted so much. I'd love to think (in the hopes of keeping the season interesting) that they just have some kinks to work out and can take the fight to Mercedes. They ran Australia at half power, which DQ'd Button for having been lapped twice. Would love to think they've created a monster that just needs some manners!

But even Honda, with a fresh design, still has gone opposite of the seemingly simple concept Mercedes employs of separating the Turbo from the e-motor to opposite ends of the block, to aid heat dissipation.

Hoping for huge improvements for all the other teams over the next two weeks. But you gotta give it to Mercedes. The season ended, the other teams improved, but Mercedes simply increased their lead.

Re: Schumacher. Not sure if anyone has looked for updates, but even his Wiki is just appalling. The most winning driver got taken down in a freak skiing accident, and is now confined to a wheel chair and is unable to speak. I fear thats a polite way of saying he is a vegetable. The man was one the fiercest competitors, and for all his debatable tactics, does not deserve that kind of hell. Just, wow....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice to see Vettel back in the saddle again. This should prove to be an interesting year. Goo don you Vettel

annunaki

annunaki

Have to say I am surprised that Ferrari won outright. Kudos to the Scuderia for getting things turned around.

Think how Alonso must be feeling now.

For some reason a German in the red car seems to work really well.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Have to say I am surprised that Ferrari won outright. Kudos to the Scuderia for getting things turned around.

Think how Alonso must be feeling now.

For some reason a German in the red car seems to work really well.
*LOL* It does as strange as that is.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Its sad, but when they reported on his condition last year, I would want out too... RIP

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis