Ultra High-End Loudspeakers of AXPONA 2019

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The AXPONA show for 2019 was bigger and better than ever, and Audioholics was there to see and hear much of the best that was on display. In this segment of our coverage, we take a look at the more over-the-top speakers on exhibit, the 'dream speakers' that comes to mind when we purchase a lotto ticket. They may not be affordable, they might not be at all practical, but these are some of the most unrestrained, dramatic, and mind-blowing speakers that AXPONA had to offer. The manufacturers here brought out their showpieces to impress. Some of these speakers go well beyond mere audio transducers and veer into art statements in industrial design. They may sound very good, but sound reproduction is almost beside the point in some of these fantastical designs. Now let’s take see a few of the major showpieces from AXPONA 2019...

READ: Ultra High-End Loudspeakers of AXPONA 2019

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I like BAYZ’s life sized carabiner speaker!

Looks like it would be a very safe design and approved for rock climbing and such.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Link seems broken. :(

Edit: very cool, Shady. Thanks!

Last edited:
Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Those Vaders are now at the top of my "win the Powerball" list of speakers. :D

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I like BAYZ’s life sized carabiner speaker!

Looks like it would be a very safe design and approved for rock climbing and such.
Heh first word that went through my mind was "Keychain" !

R

Remc86007

Audiophyte
I don't have the money for this level of speakers, but if I did, I wouldn't want to buy something that looks so bizzare.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The top of those BAYZ speakers kinda looks like the head of an Alien.
At the AXPONA show no one can hear you scream. :)
Nice write up BTW

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If I had that kind of money, I'd have Jim redo his SoundScape 12. :p Everyone would hear me scream!!! :cool:
(It would take 3-6 months before I had them, to drown the scream out! )

Last edited:
L

lewdogg

Enthusiast
CRAZY!!! I can't imagine dropping that kind of coin on speakers! Thanks, shady!

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
@shadyJ were you able to hear the Salk Sound 9.5s while you were here? If so would love to hear your thoughts.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ were you able to hear the Salk Sound 9.5s while you were here? If so would love to hear your thoughts.
I did hear them actually. I enjoyed them. Nice, neutral, detailed sound, as always from Salk. They didn't quite fit the classes of speakers I was covering, so I didn't do a write-up on them, but here is a pic I took:
SalkSound SS 9.5 speakers.jpg

Look at that dead sexy finish. I could so easily live with a set of these. This is a speaker that Dennis Murphy worked on, btw.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That shaped Baffle with the Chamfering is so cool!!! I'm hoping he decides to come to CA in a couple months and bring those. After my interactions with Jim, I am very eager to meet the man! And hear his new flagship speaker!

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Look at that dead sexy finish. I could so easily live with a set of these. This is a speaker that Dennis Murphy worked on, btw.
Indeed. Wow! those do look great! Ya, I heard on AH Dennis did crossover work for him. If I do a dedicated 2 channel system in a couple of years I will absolutely consider these. A pair of 9.5s would be considered an "ultra high end" speaker for me lol. Hopefully one of these days I'll make it out to an audio show and listen to some of this stuff.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis