N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
OLED and burn-in is a serious concern. Both Plasma and OLED are prone to burn-in and IR. However with Plasma, the longer you have the panel the less likely it will get burn-in, with OLED the longer you have it the more susceptible it is to burn in. That is what some OLED owners who have experienced burn-in are reporting. Panel lifespan is also a serious concern for OLED. Some people don't like ABL on OLED, however without it those OLED would experience burn-in more than they are now. I just purchased a Sony LED, I'm not that much of a fan of LED, so this will be new for me, I owned Plasmas. My Panasonic Plasma I had to baby, very prone to image retention, sometimes taking a week or more to fade. My Pioneer Kuro, no burn-in or IR, I can throw anything at that bad boy. Pioneer figured out a way to eliminate burn-in from their plasmas.

I really prefer the picture of OLED, to me, the Sony OLED's have the best pictures today. Might be a tad dimmer than most display however they really standout.

Yes with LED the picture quality does degrade if you sit at an angle so that's a downfall of the technology. However, even with an emissive display like an OLED or a plasma why you want to sit an angle anyway? Ideally you would want to sit in the front of the display.
Which LED did you get?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Which LED did you get?
Sony Z9D. I hope its not to inferior to my Kuro, it probably is in certain aspects. This will be a big change for me after owning plasma TV's. My heart wanted me to get a C8 OLED, but my brain told me to get an LED. Anyway, I still have about 22 days to change my mind.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I know, it is a serious concern and I would be very upset if it happened to my OLED. That the the thing that nearly made me not want to get OLED to begin with. But you mentioned having to baby a Panasonic plasma? No way! I still own a 50" Panasonic VT60 that is going strong after 10 years, 4 years of it's life it was used as a computer monitor in my bedroom with static images on it constantly. I bought an i1Display Pro 3 and calibrated it, still has a gorgeous picture and no burn in despite being used by my mom and dad almost constantly to this day. You have to enable pixel shift and that is literally all I have done to prevent burn in and it has worked in that regard without issue. I am sure the earlier plasma TV sets had more issues on this, but Panasonic must have perfected it too because I used the heck out of my VT60 with it being a PC monitor for hours on end and no retention, ever.

I know of a few people who have open floor plan front rooms, not to mention kids like to lay on the floor and watch TV at times. So off angle seats and if people set their TV higher, can be affected by the limited viewing angles of LED. Yes, Ideally you would want to sit in front of the display, but not everyone can. My Samsung JU7100 in my bedroom can get affected in dark scenes if me and my wife lay down and watch a movie. IPS are superior to VA panels for off angle viewing, but they give up a lot with image quality and grey blacks.

I was simply pointing out facts, but I think the OLED burn in thing is overblown personally, or you would have a lot of people reviewing them and rating them down thanks to their new expensive TV having burn in. I will find out soon when I receive my LG C8.
Lets hope you don't get any burn-in. It seems you had a lot good experiences with your plasma. The Panasonic VT60 is really nice, black levels are great. When it comes to shadow detail, nothing touches the Panasonic and Pioneer Kuro plasmas, not even the outstanding OLED displays, at least what I've have seen. However my own experience, as stated before, with my VT60, I experienced aggressive and persistent image retention, even to this day. Other VT and ZT owners complained about the same thing. If I play my Amazon Music app for one or two 5 minute songs, that emblem would stay on my screen for hours or more. I think with Plasma's, LED's and OLED's there is truly a panel lottery.

As for LED's, there is no doubt the picture quality suffers when you watch off axis, not to mention purple, gray and blue blacks, black crush, I hate all of that that's why I never purchased a LED TV. I was very negative towards LED, I always thought they were better for stadiums, billboards and neon signs instead in someone's living room.
I'm more of a Cinema-Phile, me and OLED should be a marriage made in heaven. However sometimes, like beautiful woman, she's gorgeous on the outside, but then she smiles and she has green teeth. I don't know if you've every experienced anything like that, but to me that's clear indication she's not wife material. And no I wouldn't marry her and tell her to start brushing her teeth. Burn-in, panel lifespan issues and black crush are like the green teeth on a beautiful woman.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
The Z9D in my opinion is the best overall LED money can buy. For most things you won't miss the Kuro except 1080p stuff from cable providers which I think looked better on the Kuro. Blu ray disc's it's close, the Z9D doesn't disappoint but certain things when they move a certain way the LED does show motion issues. With a proper setup the Motion you can get to a minimum which I don't notice many issues anymore after I set it up properly.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
The Z9D in my opinion is the best overall LED money can buy. For most things you won't miss the Kuro except 1080p stuff from cable providers which I think looked better on the Kuro. Blu ray disc's it's close, the Z9D doesn't disappoint but certain things when they move a certain way the LED does show motion issues. With a proper setup the Motion you can get to a minimum which I don't notice many issues anymore after I set it up properly.
What did you do to minimize the motion issues?

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I'm hanging on to my Kuro until it dies or gets a lot dimmer. The dim images I was getting on our 60" seem to have magically been fixed. Keeping fingers crossed.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I'm hanging on to my Kuro until it dies or gets a lot dimmer. The dim images I was getting on our 60" seem to have magically been fixed. Keeping fingers crossed.
Still have mine. It's just dim compared to new LED and OLED TV's.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Lets hope you don't get any burn-in. It seems you had a lot good experiences with your plasma. The Panasonic VT60 is really nice, black levels are great. When it comes to shadow detail, nothing touches the Panasonic and Pioneer Kuro plasmas, not even the outstanding OLED displays, at least what I've have seen. However my own experience, as stated before, with my VT60, I experienced aggressive and persistent image retention, even to this day. Other VT and ZT owners complained about the same thing. If I play my Amazon Music app for one or two 5 minute songs, that emblem would stay on my screen for hours or more. I think with Plasma's, LED's and OLED's there is truly a panel lottery.

As for LED's, there is no doubt the picture quality suffers when you watch off axis, not to mention purple, gray and blue blacks, black crush, I hate all of that that's why I never purchased a LED TV. I was very negative towards LED, I always thought they were better for stadiums, billboards and neon signs instead in someone's living room.
I'm more of a Cinema-Phile, me and OLED should be a marriage made in heaven. However sometimes, like beautiful woman, she's gorgeous on the outside, but then she smiles and she has green teeth. I don't know if you've every experienced anything like that, but to me that's clear indication she's not wife material. And no I wouldn't marry her and tell her to start brushing her teeth. Burn-in, panel lifespan issues and black crush are like the green teeth on a beautiful woman.
Interesting. I've never had any burn in issues with any of my Panasonic plasmas. My VT60 is stil used daily as my "den" TV in my office. Slight image retention, but it goes away very quickly and is almost imperceptible.

I went cheap and got a 70" Vizio for under $1k for the living room. I don't typically watch TV in there, but my kids do a lot. It's bright enough that it gets the job done. My Sony 700D is better at HDR and is a brighter TV, but so few manufacturers make a 70" TV that my choices were super limited. I'm happy with it though.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I set the

Motion setting to MANUAL then adjusted them to the girl on the swing youtube video was clear and consistent.
I'll have to try that. The biggest shock going from plasma to LED are the viewing angles, man LED's are narrow.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Interesting. I've never had any burn in issues with any of my Panasonic plasmas. My VT60 is stil used daily as my "den" TV in my office. Slight image retention, but it goes away very quickly and is almost imperceptible.

I went cheap and got a 70" Vizio for under $1k for the living room. I don't typically watch TV in there, but my kids do a lot. It's bright enough that it gets the job done. My Sony 700D is better at HDR and is a brighter TV, but so few manufacturers make a 70" TV that my choices were super limited. I'm happy with it though.
Again I say, it must have been a panel lottery back then, because my Panasonic plasma had bad IR/Burn-in. I went back and read some of the comments during the era of PDP vs LED and I see it has reared its ugly head again with LED v. OLED display technology wars.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Yep, I found that to be true. The Z9D converted me to the LED experience. Unfortunately I had to return my Z9D due to a panel defect and I could not get another one because they were all out of stock at Best Buy. Even though my set was a November 2018 build, I understand they won't be making anymore and the one I had was pretty much the last production of those wonderful sets. Now I have an LG C8 (on trial though), it looks murky compared to my previous Z9D.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yep, I found that to be true. The Z9D converted me to the LED experience. Unfortunately I had to return my Z9D due to a panel defect and I could not get another one because they were all out of stock at Best Buy. Even though my set was a November 2018 build, I understand they won't be making anymore and the one I had was pretty much the last production of those wonderful sets. Now I have an LG C8 (on trial though), it looks murky compared to my previous Z9D.
Does it look murky with all content? Are you using it in bright or dark room? As I have B8 and I haven't found it murky at all in dark room. I'm using the Expert Darkroom preset as starting point and then I did the calibration with Spears & Munsil calibration disk.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
What does Murky mean? LOL I'm assuming your not happy with the OLED? I for one keep looking at the Sony OLED's and think or better put know I'm moving in that direction probably this year. The Z9D is a killer LED but I'm just not a LED kinda guy. I never liked them and the Z9D is as close to a Plasma or OLED experience you can get with one.
I think you need to get that OLED calibrated or at least look up the calibration settings the professionl reviewers are using. I'm sure there's a best setting somewhere on the net. I honestly feel OLED is the best looking picture today. If someone offered to trade me a Sony 65 inch A9F or even a A8F for my Z9D I'd do it.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
What does Murky mean? LOL I'm assuming your not happy with the OLED? I for one keep looking at the Sony OLED's and think or better put know I'm moving in that direction probably this year. The Z9D is a killer LED but I'm just not a LED kinda guy. I never liked them and the Z9D is as close to a Plasma or OLED experience you can get with one.
I think you need to get that OLED calibrated or at least look up the calibration settings the professionl reviewers are using. I'm sure there's a best setting somewhere on the net. I honestly feel OLED is the best looking picture today. If someone offered to trade me a Sony 65 inch A9F or even a A8F for my Z9D I'd do it.
There is variation with the panels so using settings from internet is not really a good solution. Using disc like spears & munsil or app like THX tune-up will get you good results, I have been using the spears & munsil and I'm happy with the results, haven't tried the THX app but I have heard it should work well. Ofcourse it won't be the same as professional calibration but it is a lot cheaper option.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis