Two subs different wattage and quality

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys I have a question. I have finally talked the wifey into letting me replace my HTIB, but with a few limitations. Due to these limitations my sub is only going to be 100 watts. Not much in the way of home theater, ya know? My receiver is a 7.2 however so I was thinking I would keep the sub from my HTIB and then I'll have over 350 watts total. I know it can be tricky to get two subs sounding good together but my receiver has audessy to help with that. Opinions guys? And please no wait and save for better. I have limitations on the system and have met them already and am looking for opinions or other ideas. Not just the standard save for better as I'm not allowed more money for this.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Wattage does not matter, actual output does. You will always be limited by the output of the lesser sub if there is a significant difference between them. Does your receiver's Audessey have the actual capability to calibrate both subs separately? I'm pretty sure not all versions do, but if it does, you will likely be OK as long as the lesser sub can achieve sufficient output compared to the other.

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
Wattage does not matter, actual output does. You will always be limited by the output of the lesser sub if there is a significant difference between them. Does your receiver's Audessey have the actual capability to calibrate both subs separately? I'm pretty sure not all versions do, but if it does, you will likely be OK as long as the lesser sub can achieve sufficient output compared to the other.
Yeah. The amplifier output right? It's 100 w. doesn't the w stand for watts?

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
For clarification...Why are you limited to 100W? Is that the wattage of the sub you can afford, or is there something else?

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
For clarification...Why are you limited to 100W? Is that the wattage of the sub you can afford, or is there something else?
It is the wattage of the sub I can afford that is also aesthetically appeasing to my wife so that she doesn't glare at me every time she sets foot in the living room. In return though I DO get to turn the basement into a personal theater in 8 years when I retire and we stop moving so much.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah. The amplifier output right? It's 100 w. doesn't the w stand for watts?
Yes, that W is watts. What I meant by that is just that 100W is how much power the unit has, but does not necessarily tell you how much output the sub will give you. 100W can potentially give you very different levels of output depending on the design of the sub. The same amp in a sealed vs a vented sub design alone would make a difference in output.

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
Yes, that W is watts. What I meant by that is just that 100W is how much power the unit has, but does not necessarily tell you how much output the sub will give you. 100W can potentially give you very different levels of output depending on the design of the sub. The same amp in a sealed vs a vented sub design alone would make a difference in output.

What's a better design? Sealed or vented?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you really want help, provide your budget and size limitations.

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
If you really want help, provide your budget and size limitations.
Price : 600 bbucks
size : as small as possible and unobtrusive as well as aestically pleasing to the wife's eye.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
There are very nice small sealed subs on the market. My sub is not large at all and uses a professional power amp. If size is the limitation you want a sealed sub. But I'm betting a nice SVS sealed sub is gonna be more well received than pure junk.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
This pretty much nails ot.

SB-1000 - SVS

The above SVS is about the size or a ruler in every dimension and still a great sub.
Subs are basically big, ugly boxes. If the wife has that much control over te process, then the smaller the box, the better.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Subs are basically big, ugly boxes. If the wife has that much control over te process, then the smaller the box, the better.
If she won't accept that sub I'd not even get one. You really can't build a good sub smaller than that. I guess we lucked out with women that let us enjoy our hobby.

Maybe you could give her something you don't want in the kitchen that she wants and get a nicer sub in return?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
And the nicer looking the better too :) Usually the little lady doesn't care about the performance of it, as long as it looks good.

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
There are very nice small sealed subs on the market. My sub is not large at all and uses a professional power amp. If size is the limitation you want a sealed sub. But I'm betting a nice SVS sealed sub is gonna be more well received than pure junk.
What? Not a fan of monitor audio?

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
If she won't accept that sub I'd not even get one. You really can't build a good sub smaller than that. I guess we lucked out with women that let us enjoy our hobby.

Maybe you could give her something you don't want in the kitchen that she wants and get a nicer sub in return?

. I have many Hobbes and I get to enjoy them all fully. There is nothing wrong with her wanting it to be aesthetically pleasing, especially with all the time she takes to make the house look nice. the 3000 budget on it is mine. Have to have one cheap hobby after all. the size of the box is fine but the black color isn't. Besides, I would rather play small now and get my full basement home theater later. Forget a kitchen appliance, THAT was our agreement. If I can live with her limitations for 8 years then when I get out of the army and we settle into our house I get a 50,000 dollar basement home theater budget with two catches. It has to be family friendly and she gets her exercise room. I think I'll still keep my wife over any other woman. Lol

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
. I have many Hobbes and I get to enjoy them all fully. There is nothing wrong with her wanting it to be aesthetically pleasing, especially with all the time she takes to make the house look nice. the 3000 budget on it is mine. Have to have one cheap hobby after all. the size of the box is fine but the black color isn't. Besides, I would rather play small now and get my full basement home theater later. Forget a kitchen appliance, THAT was our agreement. If I can live with her limitations for 8 years then when I get out of the army and we settle into our house I get a 50,000 dollar basement home theater budget with two catches. It has to be family friendly and she gets her exercise room. I think I'll still keep my wife over any other woman. Lol
I wouldn't pick a woman based on the size of subwoofer she'd let me have either.;) There is a lot more to life than audio. Of course in a living area I understand the need for compromise. Given you are in the Army you definitely want a small portable sub if you could be moved. Black is the standard finish for subs at your price range what color are you looking for specifically? You might email SVS and ask if they have any in Cherry if that's your preference. SVS does excellent work on finishes. SVS, HSU, Rythmik and other Internet Direct brands offer great subwoofers that I am confident will deliver performance even in a small form factor. My sub for example is not large at all yet delivers fantastic a performance.

Does one of your hobbies happen to be woodworking?

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't pick a woman based on the size of subwoofer she'd let me have either.;) There is a lot more to life than audio. Of course in a living area I understand the need for compromise. Given you are in the Army you definitely want a small portable sub if you could be moved. Black is the standard finish for subs at your price range what color are you looking for specifically? You might email SVS and ask if they have any in Cherry if that's your preference. SVS does excellent work on finishes. SVS, HSU, Rythmik and other Internet Direct brands offer great subwoofers that I am confident will deliver performance even in a small form factor. My sub for example is not large at all yet delivers fantastic a performance.

Does one of your hobbies happen to be woodworking?

Lol. Unfortunately no it is not woodworking. I am actually getting the setup in a momitor audio package. The radius hd in the cherry finish actually. Lol. The 270 for the fronts the 90 for the rear and the 360 hd for the sub

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Lol. Unfortunately no it is not woodworking. I am actually getting the setup in a momitor audio package. The radius hd in the cherry finish actually. Lol. The 270 for the fronts the 90 for the rear and the 360 hd for the sub
That sub doesn't look very good at all. I'm sure the speakers are fine, but you'd be much better off with a higher quality sub. The RXW12 would be a much better choice IMO.

FWIW SVS has the best finishes I've seen. If you got a cherry set from them it will look fantastic and you'll be getting a good deal. Seriously give them a ring and I bet they can help you out.

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
That sub doesn't look very good at all. I'm sure the speakers are fine, but you'd be much better off with a higher quality sub. The RXW12 would be a much better choice IMO.

FWIW SVS has the best finishes I've seen. If you got a cherry set from them it will look fantastic and you'll be getting a good deal. Seriously give them a ring and I bet they can help you out.
the wife wants it all to match. What can I do to keep the sub hidden and out of sight but not ruin the sound? They only have it in black and it will b much easier to talk my wife into it if I can keep it out of sight. Lol.
My other concern is I wonder if the base in that sub is going to overwhelm the system too much
im also confused about the pic in your sub. I thought the sub uses an RCA input but I'm seeing a left and right speaker wire terminals but no place for an RCA cable. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis