TV to Non HDMI Receiver

Audioholic
Howdy. I am having difficulty correctly hooking up a Samsung smart TV to my Bud's non-HDMI receiver. The receiver in question is a Yamaha RX-V459. I tried running an RCA cable from the TV's audio out to the DTV/CBL inputs on the receiver and I get no sound. I then went through the menu on the Samsung smart TV and set the speaker settings to "External." The TV speaker works if I choose that option, but the "Receiver" option is grayed out. What have I done wrong? Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

The plan is for him to be able to listen to XM, Netflix, Spotify, etc. on through his stereo system rather than through the TV speaker. Thanks again.

Receiver connection:
Yammy 2.jpg

Samsung TV connection:
51307.jpeg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Best to post the specific make/model of all gear, like the tv. Did you check input assignments on the Yamaha avr (as to whether analog like you've connected)? Does the tv have an optical or digital coax outs? Generally more audio options that way.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I believe those are the analog inputs. You want to use the optical output into the receiver.

Audioholic
Thanks.

Shouldn't there be a way to run audio from the TV into the receiver without the optical cord?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Check for a 3.5mm AUDIO OUT port. You can use a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect to the receiver. An optical cable will give you much better audio and output Dolby Digital.

IMG_4013.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks.

Shouldn't there be a way to run audio from the TV into the receiver without the optical cord?
That's why it's nice to get the make/model of your tv so we can see what the options are particularly.

Audioholic
Thanks. I have an old Pioneer VSX-502, which I connected to my TV by running an RCA cable from the TV's audio out to the receivers TV input. Why can I not do something similar on my Bud's Yamaha RX-V459?

Audioholic
Also, if I use an optical cord from the TV to the receiver, what input do I select to hear it through his stereo system?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That TV has the 3.5mm or optical output options. The optical option is the better of the two.

The optical cable can be connected to one of two optical input ports on the Yamaha.
IMG_4016.jpeg

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Samsung Model: UN75F6300AF
Optical out is the best way....it will plug into either the DVD or CABLE optical inputs on the Yamaha.
You will probably have to configure either of those inputs to use optical in the Yamahas setup menu.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks.

No! No current TVs have analog audio outs, only digital and a lot only have HDMI now.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
ok. Thank you. I will order an optical cord. @isolar8001: how do I configure the input?
Through the set up menu, but that will be tricky because you can't connect that old receiver to the new TV, because you can't see the OSD menu. So you will have try and do the set up from the Yamaha LED screen. That is not easy. The fact is that we are passed the analog sunset and non HDMI receivers are pretty much worthless and useless now.

Essentially new TVs are designed to send audio to receivers via HDMI eARC.

It is on page 85 of the manual how to assign the optical inputs.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
ok. Thank you. I will order an optical cord. @isolar8001: how do I configure the input?
The optical inputs on the Yamaha will default to the DVD and DTV/CBL source inputs respectively. Connect to either and press the corresponding input source button. I believe the DVD coaxial input port takes precedence over optical if a coaxial cable is connected to it so I’d connect the optical cable to the DTV/CBL optical port just to be safe.

Once connected, go into the TV Sound Output settings and select Audio Out/Optical. Receiver is only selectable when using HDMI ARC to an ARC supporting receiver.

In the TV’s Settings, go to Sound and scroll down to Expert Settings and select digital audio output. PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS Neo 2.5 should all be selectable. For proper output of 2.0 and 5.1 signals, select Dolby Digital. To output everything in 5.1, select DTS NEO 2.5. Dolby Digital+ is only selectable when a Dolby Digital+ signal is present.

Once those settings are made, select a sound mode in the Yamaha that suits the incoming signal or choose a preferred mode.

Audioholic
Progress... Technology... all a PITA. if the optical cord we ordered doesn't somehow magically work when I plug it in, he'll just have to get a new HDMI receiver.

I found his old model Yamaha receiver on fleabay for a buy it now price of $48.00. Worthless, as you said. He plans on putting it out on the curb if he needs to get a new one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis