TV stand, entertainment center, audio rack furniture, or whatever you want to call it, suggestion thread

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Growing up, my best friends mother was a hardcore trekkie and had a massive collection of books all piled up on cinder block and wood board shelves. They were stacked huge. To this day I can't believe their first floor didn't buckle under the weight of all those James T Kirk fan fiction novels and cement blocks.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
@Pogre I can't tell you how many years, decades maybe, that I ran all my stuff on homemade cinder block stands, I was broke and still had a need so what are you supposed to do? Your examples all look pretty darned good and they work. They are sturdy, sonically neutral, and are cat and dog proof. There's always shortcomings and things that could be better, but, the old cinderblock shelves have served 1,000s of broke college folks for a long time.

I understand the need, or want, for a cool looking manufactured set of shelves for the gear. When I did my current room I had a similar set of size restraints as the OP did. Different size problem, but a size problem nonetheless. Serendipity stepped in and at the time I had the need someone was cleaning out a house and somehow a very antique looking set of shelves became available. Very distinct looking. Spartan lines, very dark color, some gold highlights here and there, and heavy and sturdy as can be. I haven't seen anything like it so I gave it a try. It's still there. It carries the load, looks the part, and it was completely free.

Lots of ways to skin the AV shelf/rack problem. Go cheap. Go custom from a custom supplier. Hopefully though the OP can end up with something unique or that scratches the itch.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Title sums it up. I'm looking for some new furniture. Currently have an ikea piece of furniture housing all of my audio equipment/gaming systems. Looking for something around 65" wide, 24" tall. Salamander designs are very nice but so expensive, and the height options are 21 and 31". The 21" is a bit small and the 31" is too large. The bottom of my TV is 37" from the floor, and center is SVS ultra at 8.25", and in the future focal sopra center at 10"+. 24" height is really all I can do, unless a larger height unit has a built in center area. Some of the salamander designs have these center channel shelves, but the largest one I think was 7.5".

I'm open to any suggestions as long as they are not enclosed. Mesh doors are fine, or no doors are fine as well.

Thanks in advance!
If you live in IL, I have a nice solid wood and Glass BDI stand I am want to get rid up and taking space in my workout room. LOL. Check facebook Marketplace as well.

I like VTI stands, decent quality for the $ and great for holding components. I just picked up a rack. Not sure if they make a 65" one though.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
@Pogre I can't tell you how many years, decades maybe, that I ran all my stuff on homemade cinder block stands, I was broke and still had a need so what are you supposed to do? Your examples all look pretty darned good and they work. They are sturdy, sonically neutral, and are cat and dog proof. There's always shortcomings and things that could be better, but, the old cinderblock shelves have served 1,000s of broke college folks for a long time.

I understand the need, or want, for a cool looking manufactured set of shelves for the gear. When I did my current room I had a similar set of size restraints as the OP did. Different size problem, but a size problem nonetheless. Serendipity stepped in and at the time I had the need someone was cleaning out a house and somehow a very antique looking set of shelves became available. Very distinct looking. Spartan lines, very dark color, some gold highlights here and there, and heavy and sturdy as can be. I haven't seen anything like it so I gave it a try. It's still there. It carries the load, looks the part, and it was completely free.

Lots of ways to skin the AV shelf/rack problem. Go cheap. Go custom from a custom supplier. Hopefully though the OP can end up with something unique or that scratches the itch.
I'm 40 with kids, so the idea of a make shift stand isn't going to cut it. I'm for sure getting either this or this. Now it is just a matter of determining how close I want the speakers to be next to the stand.

If you live in IL, I have a nice solid wood and Glass BDI stand I am want to get rid up and taking space in my workout room. LOL. Check facebook Marketplace as well.

I like VTI stands, decent quality for the $ and great for holding components. I just picked up a rack. Not sure if they make a 65" one though.
I'm in CT. The more I've looked, the less I like open racks. VTI does make nice stuff, I have a pair of their speaker stands for my surrounds. (side note, how do you like the AVM70? It's next on my list after the cabinet)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I'm 40 with kids, so the idea of a make shift stand isn't going to cut it. I'm for sure getting either this or this. Now it is just a matter of determining how close I want the speakers to be next to the stand.

I'm in CT. The more I've looked, the less I like open racks. VTI does make nice stuff, I have a pair of their speaker stands for my surrounds. (side note, how do you like the AVM70? It's next on my list after the cabinet)
Do what fits your view of how it should look. Aesthetics are important and how your setup looks has value beyond carrying the load on a shelf. At my current stage in life, no kids at home and a private music room, I can put whatever I want in there. With kids come limitations, and the WAF factor may apply too. Enjoy the journey finding the "'just right" solution. Its all part of the hobby. Might as well enjoy it

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

Like the AVM70 a lot, most of the bugs are gone and ARC Genesis is working like a champ, though I am still tweeking.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

These days with CNC cabinet shops, custom furniture is very competitive and actually a good way to go.

I know of no off the shelf AV furniture that is not very ugly. I would never buy any of it.

I suggest you draw up what you want and seek out bids from some CNC shops.

Another thing these far too common systems, with all the electronics right under the screen, in my view look not only awful, but are distracting and reduce listening and viewing pleasure. The only item close to the screen should be the center speaker.

I feel getting all equipment out of line of the screen is an essential part of any AV design.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
These days with CNC cabinet shops, custom furniture is very competitive and actually a good way to go.

I know of no off the shelf AV furniture that is not very ugly. I would never buy any of it.

I suggest you draw up what you want and seek out bids from some CNC shops.

Another thing these far too common systems, with all the electronics right under the screen, in my view look not only awful, but are distracting and reduce listening and viewing pleasure. The only item close to the screen should be the center speaker.

I feel getting all equipment out of line of the screen is an essential part of any AV design.
Unfortunately, I don’t have anywhere else to put everything. We built our HT area from scratch in our basement, was bare foundation when we moved in. I decided to wire the speakers in wall and put all the terminals under the TV. I wish I had done it differently, but it’s too late now to make any changes.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Ok so I’ve mostly made up my mind but want one more recommendation.

I’m just keeping it simple and will do a 21” high synergy cabinet from salamander. I just don’t know if I should get the 65” or 87”. It’s going under a 77 C1, and the 65” isn’t as wide, which aesthetically isn’t as appealing to me. The 87” will barely fit between my LR speakers, and I don’t really have enough electronics to fill it. With the speaker distance, I don’t have room to move them out further without moving a sub but they’re also close to the wall as is. I opted to have subs on outside because I have PB 16s and they’re huge and would make walking around a bit tricky with a table between the cabinet (Side question, MLP is 8 ft from the TV, distance between the LR is 8 ft) should these be out wider, closer together?)

[UView attachment 56113
It does not seem that you have wall mounted your TV, if you do you'll have more flexibility with choice of AV rack and placement of center speaker. In my case I could now use a book shelf speaker as center speaker.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
It does not seem that you have wall mounted your TV, if you do you'll have more flexibility with choice of AV rack and placement of center speaker. In my case I could now use a book shelf speaker as center speaker.
It is wall mounted, see page 1. I have new speakers too which make it harder because the center is 9.25” tall. Front svs ultras we’re replaced with focal sopra No1s and sopra center

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Update:

So I ended up finding out about this cheap Ikea option, which I really don't like personally, but it is functional. Didn't realize how small it was in the shelf area though, my 7012 has to sit on top of the cabinet, which isn't a big deal, just not really what I wanted. It was also $180, vs the $2500 one I want from Salamander (in time probably). But now I have two issues.

The problem now is that the center is pretty low. I have an extra 6.5 inches or so (insert joke from wife) below the TV to the center channel. I want to raise it up a bit but all the stands I see are like 12"+. Does anyone know of a good option, other than books, to raise the speaker up a bit? A quick google search didn't bring up any reasonable options for a 42lb center. I did see a riser from monoprice that is a couple inches, so that could work.

The next issue is that the center is always low, even when I previously had it covering the bottom part of the TV by a few inches. Would something like an angled riser wedge that would direct the tweeter more toward ear level be a better option?
new1.jpg

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Update:

So I ended up finding out about this cheap Ikea option, which I really don't like personally, but it is functional. Didn't realize how small it was in the shelf area though, my 7012 has to sit on top of the cabinet, which isn't a big deal, just not really what I wanted. It was also $180, vs the $2500 one I want from Salamander (in time probably). But now I have two issues.

The problem now is that the center is pretty low. I have an extra 6.5 inches or so (insert joke from wife) below the TV to the center channel. I want to raise it up a bit but all the stands I see are like 12"+. Does anyone know of a good option, other than books, to raise the speaker up a bit? A quick google search didn't bring up any reasonable options for a 42lb center. I did see a riser from monoprice that is a couple inches, so that could work.

The next issue is that the center is always low, even when I previously had it covering the bottom part of the TV by a few inches. Would something like an angled riser wedge that would direct the tweeter more toward ear level be a better option?View attachment 57179
Yoga blocks. Foam monitor pads or Rubber wedges.

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
Update:

The next issue is that the center is always low, even when I previously had it covering the bottom part of the TV by a few inches. Would something like an angled riser wedge that would direct the tweeter more toward ear level be a better option?View attachment 57179
Stacked door stops

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Yoga blocks. Foam monitor pads or Rubber wedges.
I like the foam monitor pads, but they all seem a bit small. Ideally, I think something that is 3-4"on one side, and 4-5" on the other would suit me best. Everything I see appears much smaller. Was hoping there was some sort of company that made these to spec or something. I'll keep digging.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I see you already purchased... but this is what I used:
They worked great, 1 pair under the center to tip it upwards when I used a horizontal Center.

End of the day, you got the right idea. ;)

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
I see you already purchased... but this is what I used:
They worked great, 1 pair under the center to tip it upwards when I used a horizontal Center.

End of the day, you got the right idea. ;)
Yeah I looked at those but at 1.6" it looked a little short for what I was hoping for.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I looked at those but at 1.6" it looked a little short for what I was hoping for.
Hard to judge the spacing from your photo...
That's why I mentioned the Yoga blocks.
Angle is important, but also maintaing some distance from Center Channel Baffle to Screen. Most will say you want to have about 1' distance from the baffle of the Speaker to the screen, and I can tell you with certainty that it sucks if you end up blocking off your IR receiver on the screen. :p
Seems like you found a reasonable solution though. :)

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Personally, if I could afford it, I'd look at BDI furniture. There are some really nice entertainment centers as well as audio racks that they offer.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Have a picture of what you'd like to have made and discuss with a local wood worker, carpenter, etc. House building contractors have finish carpenters that might give you some suggestions or have contacts that might be interested. There are wood workers that might be interested, if have a good reputation. Lumber yards work with cabinet makers and finishers too. I had some end tables done a while back, but had to do the staining. There are finishers too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis