TV Shows That Were Better Than the Films They Were Based On

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Mission: Impossible (TV series original)
The Avengers (Patrick MacNee, Diana Rigg)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Ok but not better than the original series IMHO. Well except for Spocks Brain anyway.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Well an entire series is hard to compare against a single movie. I don't like every TOS episode, but I like a lot more of them than STTNG (I'd say about 1/4 were good). But then other than First Contact, the STTNG movies weren't very good.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Disagree about Stargate. I most definitely preferred the TV Series. Although RDA's portrayal was much lighter, he made the character a lot more likable. I loved James Spader as Daniel Jackson, but Michael Shanks developed the character and did a great job as well. The DHD was an important addition, as it allowed the series to go to an infinite number of planets/gates.

For me it wasn't about believe-ability since it's Sci-Fi to begin with, it's more about entertainment and character development with likable actors.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sometimes they're just different creatures. M*A*S*H was a great movie, but unsuitable for tv of the day (now if HBO/Showtime/Amazon/Netflix produced it....). I like both but if I had to choose I'd go with the movie. I think I read the book back then....funny how it used to be what was better the book or the movie? :)

Saw the Stargate movies but wasn't a huge fan, never saw the tv show except maybe a few minutes here and there. Odd Couple is tough, both a very good movie and tv show....tv show may win just on quantity but sure hard to beat a Matthau/Lemon movie.

Blue Thunder comes to mind, liked the movie, the tv show was a joke in comparison (altho I did watch it).

Fargo loved the movie as well as the tv show....really hard to pick but the tv show filling in the universe wins since there was only the one movie....

Limitless I liked the movie a bit more; tried the tv series but got really old quick. Same for Taken, the movies took care of the genre just fine, altho I did try several episodes of the tv series.

I see Star Trek mentioned but does it belong since it started with a tv show? On that one I loved the original tv show, but not the sequels (which I sampled each of). I didn't care for the original cast movies, prefer the newer versions. Same for Mission Impossible having started a tv show rather than movie....and that's another where they're pretty much completely different creatures but more due simply the different time periods they're from I think....but having revisted the tv show not too long ago after not seeing it since I was a kid, it didn't live up to my memories so TC's movies probably get the nod.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Definitely not Planet of the Apes. That was a bad TV show....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Even though it is in now way shape or form "related" to the movies or book, Haunting of Hill House on Netflix was fantastic.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Even though it is in now way shape or form "related" to the movies or book, Haunting of Hill House on Netflix was fantastic.
I thought the book was pretty good...
I'd watch it if I had Netflix:)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Mission: Impossible (TV series original)
The Avengers (Patrick MacNee, Diana Rigg)
I just realized I misinterpreted the subject "TV shows that were better than the films they were based on"....Mission: Impossible and The Avengers (TV) both came BEFORE the movies, the movies were based to the TV show.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
This looks awesome and I am really looking forward to it. I read all of the books, saw the (1984) movie when it came out (one of the few that loved it, apparently [I also understand it was Lynch's warped vision]) but have not seen either of the TV series.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
This looks awesome and I am really looking forward to it. I read all of the books, saw the (1984) movie when it came out (one of the few that loved it, apparently [I also understand it was Lynch's warped vision]) but have not seen either of the TV series.
I tried to watch the sting version, but got bored. Haha I was in my early teens though. I think I rented it on VHS. I’d like to see all three versions now.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I tried to watch the sting version, but got bored. Haha I was in my early teens though. I think I rented it on VHS. I’d like to see all three versions now.
IT really demands a large screen - i've seen it on regular (pre-large-format) and meh. It also helps that whe I saw it in the theater, I was definitely in an "altered" state of consciousness... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis