TV Optical output turns off

D

Dinxsy

Audiophyte
Hi guys and Gals
First of, i'm from the UK so not sure if the model numbers match to the US, didn't realise was .com hehe.
Soo the issue is, my mother tries to watch her TV with the sound bar yet the optical output decides to stop working/turn off after 15 minutes. No sound output from the Bar, no red light from the optical output.
I've took the back off the TV checked the circuit board for dry solder joints, loose connections etc but nothing. My guessing it's either software or the port itself is faulty perhaps.
Checked settings for TV speakers option (off/on) as i know some makes requires them off
Checked sound bar on my TV no issues.
The shop where she bought it from doesn't care about the issue, they never offered a warranty, she didn't know it was even a thing (age i guess) so kinda at a loss.

Has anyone else heard of or had issues like this before?
The TV is: JVC LT-49C890
Sound bar: LG SJ3
Appreciate any help

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Did you try a different optical cable?

Do you have another device, AVR or pre-amp, to connect to the TV optical output, in order to replicate/eliminate the problem sans SB?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

D

Dinxsy

Audiophyte
Did you try a different optical cable?

Do you have another device, AVR or pre-amp, to connect to the TV optical output, in order to replicate/eliminate the problem sans SB?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yeah tried 3 different cables, all worked on my TV.
Hadn't thought about using another devise on it, the only thing i have is a mix amp that i use on my PCthat has an optical input, i'll give that a try

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Similarly, do you have something that takes an optical input so you can connect it to the LG to eliminate the Sound Bar as faulty?

D

Dinxsy

Audiophyte
Similarly, do you have something that takes an optical input so you can connect it to the LG to eliminate the Sound Bar as faulty?
I've tried my mix amp on the TV and it's done the same thing, optical from the TV goes off. Sound bar has no issues as i used it for multiple hours on my TV

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've tried my mix amp on the TV and it's done the same thing, optical from the TV goes off. Sound bar has no issues as i used it for multiple hours on my TV
So the problem is the TV. Can you do a hard reset for that TV. If that does not work you are out of luck.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The tv doesn't have some sort of sleep timer that's been set, does it? If it's always 15 minutes....

D

Dinxsy

Audiophyte
So the problem is the TV. Can you do a hard reset for that TV. If that does not work you are out of luck.
i shall give that a try, nothing to lose. Last resort is to buy a replacement i believe it's the daughter board not the motherboard, or try find a way of rolling back the update on the TV.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The tv doesn't have some sort of sleep timer that's been set, does it? If it's always 15 minutes....
That's a really good thought. You would think it would turn the video off as well, and not just the sound though.

D

Dinxsy

Audiophyte
I'd assume that the TV would go off but i'll certainly check, manufactures like to add quirks to their software

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I had a look at the user manual, and there is no mention of a sleep timer. This TV can record shows, and the only timer I can see is one to record shows. Timer instructions are on page 33.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hopefully a factory reset can get rid of the glitch then....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis