Turntable Enthusiasts

JTFVegas

JTFVegas

Audioholic
Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it. We decided to go with the Fluance RT82. It has features that appealed to us and priced very reasonable, with a good upgrade path.

We also visited a local record shop and picked up a few used albums in their $5 bins. Can't wait to spin them up.View attachment 33956
Love that Whitesnake. Great record man!

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Welcome to the world of vinyl! As you may have already noticed, you have entered a world that rivals golf in terms of the number of gadgets/upgrades/sound enhancers out there. While most of them I think are silly, I think there are three worth investing in. First, as noted earlier, is a really good anti-static lint brush that you should ideally use every time you play a record. The other two are really only relevant if you are going to buy used records (which it sounds like you are). First is some sort of record cleaning device. These range from $500+ automatic record vacuums to a cheap set of lint-free cloths. While I hear great things about the vacuums, I lack both the space and funds for that kind of thing, so I use the SpinClean record washer (https://www.amazon.com/Spin-Clean-Record-Washer-MKII-Complete/dp/B002UKSZUU). It's a bit messy, but it does the job for a reasonable investment. The third item I would get is some kind of record weight/clamp which fits over the spindle and holds the record tight to the platter. Again, these range in price from $10-$200+, but it's not something I would over-spend on.

The last thing you may want to consider is some kind of platter upgrade or platter mat upgrade. Looks like your TT comes with a rubber mat, which is a nice upgrade over the typical felt. Down the road, you may want to look for an acrylic platter to replace the aluminum, but I wouldn't worry too much about that right now, just enjoy the music!

H

HotTubLV

Enthusiast
@tmurnin Thank you for the sound advice, I appreciate it. Already ahead of you, purchased a anti-static record brush, stylus brush and a SpinClean contraption. Brushes are in hand and using already, SC should be here tomorrow and I'll run the used LPs through it.
:)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
@tmurnin Thank you for the sound advice, I appreciate it. Already ahead of you, purchased a anti-static record brush, stylus brush and a SpinClean contraption. Brushes are in hand and using already, SC should be here tomorrow and I'll run the used LPs through it.
:)
Congrats on your return to spinning 'black pizza'. Now be sure and clean your LP's with the spin clean and not take them into the Hot Tub with you !

H

HotTubLV

Enthusiast
Congrats on your return to spinning 'black pizza'. Now be sure and clean your LP's with the spin clean and not take them into the Hot Tub with you !
Thank you! As for the HotTub... Can't promise I won't drag them with me... ;)

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thank you! As for the HotTub... Can't promise I won't drag them with me... ;)
I think you made a really good selection decision. If up-grading is about a better cartridge here's a tip: if up-grade cartridge is taller than supplied cart, you may not be able to level it for correct SRA, since there is no means to adjust VTA for a cart taller than supplied one. To accomodate one of those carts you will also need to purchase a taller headshell in addition to the cart. Use of a shorter cart can be accommodated by shimming.

Last edited:
H

HotTubLV

Enthusiast
I think you made a really good selection decision. If up-grading is about a better cartridge here's a tip: if up-grade cartridge is taller than supplied cart, you may not be able to level it for correct SRA, since there is no means to adjust VTA for a cart taller than supplied one. To accomodate one of those carts you will also need to purchase a taller headshell in addition to the cart. Use of a shorter cart can be accommodated by shimming.
Thank you for the tip, I will keep that in mind when we start to look at upgrades.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I think that LP Gear offers stylus upgrades for the AT95e. It might be worth looking into as you wouldn't have to worry about a cartridge install and alignment.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the world of vinyl! As you may have already noticed, you have entered a world that rivals golf in terms of the number of gadgets/upgrades/sound enhancers out there. While most of them I think are silly, I think there are three worth investing in. First, as noted earlier, is a really good anti-static lint brush that you should ideally use every time you play a record. The other two are really only relevant if you are going to buy used records (which it sounds like you are). First is some sort of record cleaning device. These range from $500+ automatic record vacuums to a cheap set of lint-free cloths. While I hear great things about the vacuums, I lack both the space and funds for that kind of thing, so I use the SpinClean record washer (https://www.amazon.com/Spin-Clean-Record-Washer-MKII-Complete/dp/B002UKSZUU). It's a bit messy, but it does the job for a reasonable investment. The third item I would get is some kind of record weight/clamp which fits over the spindle and holds the record tight to the platter. Again, these range in price from $10-$200+, but it's not something I would over-spend on.

The last thing you may want to consider is some kind of platter upgrade or platter mat upgrade. Looks like your TT comes with a rubber mat, which is a nice upgrade over the typical felt. Down the road, you may want to look for an acrylic platter to replace the aluminum, but I wouldn't worry too much about that right now, just enjoy the music!
What would be an upgrade mat-wise? My table came with the same rubber mat I've used for the past 35 years and don't see what would be better. I don't remember tables coming with felt mats at all but I don't shop much for them either....

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Just wanted to chime in, got my first table in '18 for xmas, best bang for the $. I research anything that cost more than $100 exhaustively. Really think for a intro table, nice looks, spring loaded dust cover, and lift arm for the tone arm, and auto off, really hard to beat fluance. Wish I went 82, but then I dont think it was available. Also not 100% sure about clamp weights, or super heavy plater due to the size of the motor. (Think that's a huge part of high$ tables is motor to turn heavy platters and weights) just my .02

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
What would be an upgrade mat-wise? My table came with the same rubber mat I've used for the past 35 years and don't see what would be better. I don't remember tables coming with felt mats at all but I don't shop much for them either....
for those that use mats (I don't), cork, rubber or combination of the two are the preferred. As for felt, pure garbage IMO, nothing but a dust collector.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I've been looking at the following models and would love to hear your feedback / thoughts:

Uturn Orbit line
Fluance RT82/83
Denon DP-300F
Marantz TT42
Music Hall MMF-1.3
I havee a Uturn table and love it. I also bought their external phono stage and it was good as well.
no problems with the table and I can give it two thumbs up

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
for those that use mats (I don't), cork, rubber or combination of the two are the preferred. As for felt, pure garbage IMO, nothing but a dust collector.
What do you use?

ps Just a plain platter? No interface between platter and record?

Last edited:
H

HotTubLV

Enthusiast
I’ve read if you use an acrylic platter a “mat” isn’t needed and generally not preferred. I’m interested in your thoughts on not using a mat.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
What do you use?

ps Just a plain platter? No interface between platter and record?
with my current TT (VPI AriesIII), it has their Super Platter which is rubber / composite unit(weighs around 25lbs), have never used any mat with it nor does VPI recommend one. LP is clamped to platter for playback.

If one does change out their mat be sure to re-check VTA

David, my brother in law has a Rega 3 and ditched the felt mat for a cork /rubber one, found much less issues with 'dust', YMMV

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
with my current TT (VPI AriesIII), it has their Super Platter which is rubber / composite unit(weighs around 25lbs), have never used any mat with it nor does VPI recommend one. LP is clamped to platter for playback.

If one does change out their mat be sure to re-check VTA

David, my brother in law has a Rega 3 and ditched the felt mat for a cork /rubber one, found much less issues with 'dust', YMMV
Thanks for the tip Mike I might have to look into that. And ask him if it improved the static. :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the tip Mike I might have to look into that. And ask him if it improved the static. :)
David your welcome, I'll see him tomorrow for a cigar and ask him then.

As for the 'Mike', the name here is Dave as well. My forum ID 'Mikado463' is derived from a class of steam locomotive, a Mikado, with a wheel configuration of 2-8-2, originally developed for the Lehigh Valley Railroad but while the standard gauge ones have all faded into the scrap yard their narrow gauge cousins live on in Colorado and Alaska. #463, a K27 class, Baldwin built lives on, out in Chama, NM on the Cumbres & Toltec(former DRG&W).
I've ridden behind her many times .......

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
[/QUOT
I believe that all Regas come standard with a felt mat. In fact founder Roy Gandy does not recommend replacing the felt mat with any other type. I'm not sure that I agree but so far I haven't had any dust or static issues. And all of my previous tables (Technics, Dual, Thoerens) came new with rubber mats.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
David, third party mats are not expensive, $25 bucks or less and they can have an effect on bass response. As for the Rega's all coming with felt mats, their top two offerings do not(I don't think ??).

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis