Turntable Enthusiasts

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Slumlord
David, third party mats are not expensive, $25 bucks or less and they can have an effect on bass response. As for the Rega's all coming with felt mats, their top two offerings do not.
How do they have an effect on bass response? Only by ear or measurable?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic General
How do they have an effect on bass response? Only by ear or measurable?
while I've never 'measured' a change while experimenting at friends house what we 'heard' was a tightening of bass notes after going from a felt mat to a cork/rubber combo. Now, was it the possible altering of the VTA that did this ? perhaps ...........

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Slumlord
while I've never 'measured' a change while experimenting at friends house what we 'heard' was a tightening of bass notes after going from a felt mat to a cork/rubber combo. Now, was it the possible altering of the VTA that did this ? perhaps ...........
Probably in your heads at a guess. Why does bass always tighten when some one tweaks gear? :) Hopefully you have the ability to properly set VTA in any case.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic General
Probably in your heads at a guess. Why does bass always tighten when some one tweaks gear?
it doesn't always, sometimes it gets a bit 'wooly' !!

Hopefully you have the ability to properly set VTA in any case.
not all tables have the adjustability of the tonearm to do that, so shimming or change of mat can be effective. Rega's being one example.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Slumlord
it doesn't always, sometimes it gets a bit 'wooly' !!

not all tables have the adjustability of the tonearm to do that, so shimming or change of mat can be effective. Rega's being one example.
LOL it seems 99% of what I read as a result of a tweak it's an improvement in bass or some other part of the frequency spectrum but usually with poor comparison/validation....wishful thinking perhaps? My tt's tonearm is adjustable....no shimming or changing of mat needed.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks guys I might spring for the mat upgrade sometime in the future but it is way down on my list as the felt mat sounds fine to me on the Planar 3. I have read some horror stories about the cork/ rubber mat combos shedding small pieces of cork which would negate any advantage. And I usually listen to cds these days so TT upgrades are not a priority. And yes the Planar 3 does not have the ability to adjust VTA without shims and is a royal pain to change the cartridge. So I have purchased a couple of different stylus upgrades for my cart.
BTW I did have a cork mat back in the 80s on my Thorens Dynavector combo and didn't really notice much difference from the standard rubber mat. Sorry for rambling. :)

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis