Turntable Enthusiasts

H

HotTubLV

Enthusiast
Hello All,

I'm new to AudioHolics but not to the home audio realm. However, I've recently re-caught the "vinyl bug" and I'm looking for suggestions / recommendations on turntables. We have a plethora of vinyl that has amassed over the year and our current TT isn't functional (no power) and I'd rather not look at fixing due to age.

I've been looking at the following models and would love to hear your feedback / thoughts:

Uturn Orbit line
Fluance RT82/83
Denon DP-300F
Marantz TT42
Music Hall MMF-1.3

My current AVR does support phono input so a built-in amp is not necessary.

Thanks and looking forward to reading your suggestions.
-David

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Howdy! The turntables you listed are all good entry level units and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. To add to your list (and in what appears to be your budget) are the Pro-Ject Essential III https://www.musicdirect.com/turntables/Pro-Ject-Essential-III-Turntable and Monoprice Monolith Turntable https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27749

If you can afford to stretch your budget just a little bit, there is the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC, which has loads of great reviews: https://www.musicdirect.com/turntables/pro-ject-debut-carbon-dc-turntable

Have fun!

H

HotTubLV

Enthusiast
Thank you John for your input, most appreciated.

I'll take a closer look at the Pro-Ject Debut as it's within my budget (want to stay sub-$500). From 1st looks, I like the upgraded cart. as I've heard good things about the Ortofon 2M Red.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps also consider the AudioTechnica LP120 or 1240.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
What's the old turntable? Age means nothing, might be worth looking into.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief

Doesnt seem too bad. New stuff is always nice though. My opinion on any newer turntables on the cheap side, nothing really shines. Tables get expensive fast but they are worth every hiss and pop that comes along with them. Uturn is interesting, but a quick price out hits over $400. With some searching you could find a good deal on a rega for under $500 and that would be my choice.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
If you could get a used Rega P3 it would beat any of those tables including a Rega P1 IMHO. Regas are pretty finnicky with no VTA adjustment so keep that in mind...

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Of your list the Fluance looks to be a nice TT phono cart combo. But I have never personally listened to one.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm going to give you a strong push in the direction of the U-turn

I advise against fixing your current turntable. It is over complicated and could cost a fortune to fix, if it is even possible. In addition it is an automatic turntable and therefore designed most likely from someone who wandered in from the bicycle industry. The stylus just needs to move the lowest friction bearing possible in the base of the arm, not gratuitous junk. Lastly it is Far Eastern in origin, and personally I don't think they have ever designed, or produced a really good turntable, except possibly for some lunatic scratch DJs!

Although I have no experience with the U-Turns,their design looks excellent and has all the right attributes. The first of which is simplicity coupled with good engineering.

It is designed and built in America. That is the one I would pick.

Despite the last years huge advantages and progress, I still derive a lot of pleasure spinning my legacy disc collection on my legacy turntables. So since you have the old "software," I say go ahead and take the plunge.

Last edited:
H

HotTubLV

Enthusiast

Doesnt seem too bad. New stuff is always nice though. My opinion on any newer turntables on the cheap side, nothing really shines. Tables get expensive fast but they are worth every hiss and pop that comes along with them. Uturn is interesting, but a quick price out hits over $400. With some searching you could find a good deal on a rega for under $500 and that would be my choice.
Thank you for your feedback and recommendation. I hadn't considered venturing into a pre-owned unit. I'll do some research on that.

H

HotTubLV

Enthusiast
I'm going to give you a strong push in the direction of the U-turn

I advise against fixing your current turntable. It is over complicated and could cost a fortune to fix, if it is even possible. In addition it is an automatic turntable and therefore designed most likely from someone who wandered in from the bicycle industry. The stylus just needs to move the lowest friction bearing possible in the base of the arm, not gratuitous junk. Lastly it is Far Eastern in origin, and personally I don't think they have ever designed, or produced a really good turntable, except possible for some lunatic scratch DJs!

Although I have no experience with the U-Turns,their design looks excellent andhas all the right attributes. The first of which is simplicity coupled with good engineering.

It is designed and built in America. That is the one I would pick.

Despite the last years huge advantages and progress, I still derive a lot of pleasure spinning my legacy disc collection on my legacy turntables. So since you have the old "software," I say go ahead and take the plunge.
Thank you for your input, appreciate it. Uturn definitely looks like a good choice. So many cartridge options... Leaning towards the 2M red.. Thoughts?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I got the bug to re-visit my LPs about 3 years ago. The Vinyl Revival made me think that perhaps, since the time I abandoned LPs for CDs back in the late 80's, LP playback technology might have improved. After all, vinyl enthusiasts were and are proclaiming vinyl to sound better than digital means to music. At any rate, I purchased a new Technics SL-1210GR, which has features to assure cartridge alignment perfection from application of the Technics alignment scheme. To complement the Technics TT's ability to extract all there is to extract from a cartridge I placed a Shure V15V-MR/Jico SAS stylus assembly into the Technics headshell; thereafter, connecting the TT to my Sony TA-E9000ES phono preamplifier. Upon first play of familiar music, which I had on both LP and CD, I could easily discern my new TT outfit was indeed getting all there was in the groove to get. In other words, I could not distinguish LPs from CDs of same music, until an annoying pop was heard from whatever LP I had on the TT. And, that was the rub, the snap, crackles, and pops which caused me to abandon LPs for CDs in the first place. So, while my new TT no doubt gets the job done, it's use today is limited to digitizing my LP collection, filtering the pops, for placement in my iTunes Library; although, now that I have an Apple Music subscription, digitizing LPs is no longer necessary to enjoy the music I have on LPs. Bottom line here is get a TT which can easily accomodate/align any cartridge. The Technics TTs which have S-shaped tonearms can get great results. Consider the Direct Drive Technics 1500c. It comes with a mounted Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge, as well as a built-in phono preamp, which can be switched on or off. Note, before considering any of the budget straight tonearm TT models with non-removable headshells and no means to adjust VTA, recognize that these inexpensive solutions require much finesse to properly mount a cartridge. And, once mounted you are precluded to that cartridge unless you are not deterred by the time it will take to swap the installed cart for another. The Technics allows for cartridge swaps within a few seconds, not a few hours. One more thing, if you can not budget the Technics, the Fluance RT85 Turntable comes with an Ortofon cart from the 2M Series. This TT is designed for those 18mm tall carts thus the TT does not need a VTA adjustment feature to get correct SRA. It's one reason why this TT is so attractively priced. Here's info on mentioned TTs. https://www.technics.com/us/products/premium-class/direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1500c.html https://www.fluance.com/rt85w-reference-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-natural-walnut

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you for your input, appreciate it. Uturn definitely looks like a good choice. So many cartridge options... Leaning towards the 2M red.. Thoughts?
The 2M red is a very good choice.

H

HotTubLV

Enthusiast
Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it. We decided to go with the Fluance RT82. It has features that appealed to us and priced very reasonable, with a good upgrade path.

We also visited a local record shop and picked up a few used albums in their $5 bins. Can't wait to spin them up.
20200208_131107_copy_1008x490.jpg

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it. We decided to go with the Fluance RT82. It has features that appealed to us and priced very reasonable, with a good upgrade path.

We also visited a local record shop and picked up a few used albums in their $5 bins. Can't wait to spin them up.View attachment 33956
Let us know how it sounds! Make sure that you clean those albums with at least a good cleaning brush.

H

HotTubLV

Enthusiast
Wow, I’d forgotten the beauty of vinyl all these years. Music to my ears..
spun up some Queen, Journey, Bob Seger.. Going to be up all night at this rate....

JTFVegas

JTFVegas

Audioholic
Hello All,

I'm new to AudioHolics but not to the home audio realm. However, I've recently re-caught the "vinyl bug" and I'm looking for suggestions / recommendations on turntables. We have a plethora of vinyl that has amassed over the year and our current TT isn't functional (no power) and I'd rather not look at fixing due to age.

I've been looking at the following models and would love to hear your feedback / thoughts:

Uturn Orbit line
Fluance RT82/83
Denon DP-300F
Marantz TT42
Music Hall MMF-1.3

My current AVR does support phono input so a built-in amp is not necessary.

Thanks and looking forward to reading your suggestions.
-David
Had an MMF 5. Loved it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis