Turn wired speakers into smart wireless

collinsundberg

collinsundberg

Audiophyte
Hi, I have a very satisfied wired speaker system and want to turn it into a wireless speaker through a signal transceiver (eg bluetooth) but don't know which device to use.

Does anyone have recommendations for that device? I've done some research, but I'm really confused. Special thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, I have a very satisfied wired speaker system and want to turn it into a wireless speaker through a signal transceiver (eg bluetooth) but don't know which device to use.

Does anyone have recommendations for that device? I've done some research, but I'm really confused. Special thanks!
That is a very bad idea. Wireless speakers are in their infancy. Blue tooth is a bad solution. There are some successes using the WISA protocol, but it is not easy to implement. Issues of delay are a big factor.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Could you describe a bit more about how exactly you see using these "wireless" speakers?
Are you talking about playing music on it from a mobile device? In this case, while Bluetooth sounds like the right solution, as TLS pointed out - it isn't. Most modern Bluetooth devices can't do Hi-Fi in great quality due to technology/physics limitations. However, you can stream music wirelessly to your speaker AND keep great quality with systems like Airplay, which is wireless AND lossless. All you need is either Apple TV (any older models would be perfectly fine), a new Reciever that supports airplay, or an adapter like this one:
You could also use many old Mac devices to be airplay receivers:

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Does this mean that you just want to be able to stream music, so it can play through those speakers? If your amplifier isn't out of range, you could try using the Miccus Bluetooth receiver- I installed a couple of them- they sound good and the range is great.

BTW- you don't need a transceiver unless you want visual info form the receive end but if you do, you could use a Yamaha MusicCast, Sonos or other streaming device.

Can you provide more info about your equipment and listening location?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You want the amp and bt receiver to be inside/attached to the speakers?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord

Why not just start with telling us what you are really trying to do and what equipment you actually own. Wired speakers narrows it down to about 100,000 possible things. Very unhelpful.

Are you asking if you can actually make the speakers 'wireless'? Or are you asking how to add a wireless receiver to your existing system so you can play back audio from your phone wirelessly?

If it's the first, you've already heard that this is a bad idea.

If the second, then you are just asking which Bluetooth device people would recommend to send audio from your phone or other Bluetooth device to your existing system. There are a lot of choices out there, and people likely have a ton of different ideas and recommendations, but it is important to realize that Bluetooth has VERY limited range. About 20 feet or so indoors, reliably. Walls and such can make this more difficult. Bluetooth was designed as a inexpensive, low power, solution for battery powered devices. So, while reliable in close proximity (like headphones to your phone in your pocket), it's not about great quality, and isn't about long range use. It also isn't zero latency, so there is a time gap between when audio goes from a device to when it is played back over Bluetooth.

All of this keeps getting better year after year.

But, really, before you can get good information, you need to be WAY more specific about what you are trying to achieve.

If you want to actually make your speakers wireless, which makes no sense, you would have to tell us actual make/model, and more information about what you are trying to do.

If the later, you do have a lot of Bluetooth receivers available which you can hook up to your receiver directly, or should be able to. But, none of us have a clue what your equipment is.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis