TSR-7810 and Outlaw 7075 amp

M

Mango Jerry

Enthusiast
So, I've got an Outlaw 7075 amp, that is basically a 40 pound paperweight since my Processor is unrepairable. It was outdated anyway, so with a budget around $ 500 or less, I am looking at getting a modern A/V receiver, such as the Yamaha TSR-7810 from Audioaccessories4less. The receiver does have pre-amp outputs, so I am wondering if I would gain anything by using my Outlaw amp with the receiver, or should I just try to sell the amp on it's own and run a receiver only?

Thanks!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
So, I've got an Outlaw 7075 amp, that is basically a 40 pound paperweight since my Processor is unrepairable. It was outdated anyway, so with a budget around $ 500 or less, I am looking at getting a modern A/V receiver, such as the Yamaha TSR-7810 from Audioaccessories4less. The receiver does have pre-amp outputs, so I am wondering if I would gain anything by using my Outlaw amp with the receiver, or should I just try to sell the amp on it's own and run a receiver only?

Thanks!
Gain with AVR+7075?

Run AVR alone?

There are a few questions I'd like to ask you.

Room size? Speakers, are they easy to drive?

Listening habits? Fairly loud (80dB & >), for music and movies or moderate levels.

Gain...the amps in the Yammy are rated at 95wpc with 2 channels running...they don't say with all 3+ running, in all but the most demanding situations, I think this AVR will do fine powering most systems in a moderate size room.

If the room is larger and the L/R speakers are difficult to drive the aux 7075 can come in handy.

My opinion...unless you need the funds from selling the 7075...I'd keep it and use the AVR as the pre/pro until you need the amps for another zone, etc. Your AVR will run cooler with the 7075 handling the power load...maybe you add some shelf life to the AVR.

M

Mango Jerry

Enthusiast
Gain with AVR+7075?

Run AVR alone?

There are a few questions I'd like to ask you.

Room size? Speakers, are they easy to drive?

Listening habits? Fairly loud (80dB & >), for music and movies or moderate levels.

Gain...the amps in the Yammy are rated at 95wpc with 2 channels running...they don't say with all 3+ running, in all but the most demanding situations, I think this AVR will do fine powering most systems in a moderate size room.

If the room is larger and the L/R speakers are difficult to drive the aux 7075 can come in handy.

My opinion...unless you need the funds from selling the 7075...I'd keep it and use the AVR as the pre/pro until you need the amps for another zone, etc. Your AVR will run cooler with the 7075 handling the power load...maybe you add some shelf life to the AVR.

I don't listen to music at extremely high levels anymore, too old,lol! And will now use it to watch mostly movies. The room size is moderate and the speaker system is an 8 ohm Axiom M60, QS4, VP100 set-up with a small Outlaw subwoofer. I certainly don't need to sell the Amp and would prefer to use it in some way if possible, so I will plan on definitely getting a A/V receiver with pre-amp capabilities.

Thanks for the input!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't listen to music at extremely high levels anymore, too old,lol! And will now use it to watch mostly movies. The room size is moderate and the speaker system is an 8 ohm Axiom M60, QS4, VP100 set-up with a small Outlaw subwoofer. I certainly don't need to sell the Amp and would prefer to use it in some way if possible, so I will plan on definitely getting a A/V receiver with pre-amp capabilities.

Thanks for the input!
You could go either way then...if you're not pushing the AVR very hard often I wouldn't be as concerned about the heat build up.

I prefer to have the power in a a separate box from the processing chips/circuits so I'm biased. If you didn't have the 7075, I wouldn't buy an aux amp even with my bias in your situation, you're not going to be blasting it loud really, moderate size room.

But, since you already have the power amp...I would run the 7 channels on the 7075 and take the power load off the AVR..

M

Mango Jerry

Enthusiast
You could go either way then...if you're not pushing the AVR very hard often I wouldn't be as concerned about the heat build up.

I prefer to have the power in a a separate box from the processing chips/circuits so I'm biased. If you didn't have the 7075, I wouldn't buy an aux amp even with my bias in your situation, you're not going to be blasting it loud really, moderate size room.

But, since you already have the power amp...I would run the 7 channels on the 7075 and take the power load off the AVR..
I agree, if I didn't already own it, I would not have a need for using separates any more. Thanks again for your advice!

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
Assuming you have a decent subwoofer amp, there is probably little to be gained by using an external amp with an AVR imho...

Ww

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The discount is because they are refurbs (also have reduced warranty). The older units usually get more discount on top of that due outdated features...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So another question:
When I see some of these receivers selling at 60% off, is it because they are already several models/years old? I know they are factory refurbs, but still, seems like there is another explanation I am missing.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamtsr7790bl/yamaha-tsr-7790-7.2-x-95-watts-a/v-receiver-same-as-rx-v779/1.html
Generally, you won't see 60% off unless it is an older model.
AVR manufacturers go to great lengths to make it seem like you need the latest set of bells and whistles. For some, that really is important. However, If I look back at my Marantz SR-6001 which started production in 2007 (maybe 2008), the only thing it lacks is it is Audyssey XT instead of my current AVR which has XT 32.
If you go back much before that you would get into AVR's without HDMI connections.
Right now, I cannot think of a feature I'd consider important between a 2012 AVR and a 2017 AVR. You can get all wrapped up in 4K, but generally the resolution of 1080p is as good as the resolution of the human eye unless you sit unreasonably close to the screen.

M

Mango Jerry

Enthusiast
Generally, you won't see 60% off unless it is an older model.
AVR manufacturers go to great lengths to make it seem like you need the latest set of bells and whistles. For some, that really is important. However, If I look back at my Marantz SR-6001 which started production in 2007 (maybe 2008), the only thing it lacks is it is Audyssey XT instead of my current AVR which has XT 32.
If you go back much before that you would get into AVR's without HDMI connections.
Right now, I cannot think of a feature I'd consider important between a 2012 AVR and a 2017 AVR. You can get all wrapped up in 4K, but generally the resolution of 1080p is as good as the resolution of the human eye unless you sit unreasonably close to the screen.
Thank you for the response, it is much appreciated.

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
I picked up a TSR-7810 recently from Costco and ended up returning it due to some of what KEW stated AND the low output voltage of the preouts. There are some good deals on old model Denons rights now (3300, 4300) if you want buy something that can drive your amp properly.

I too am looking for a new front end and you can get a lot of value for under $1000 notably on last year model AVRs. While I did say you probably do not need an external amp, you are unlikely to get much for it. Since you seemingly have enough channels, I would keep it. Heat does kill electronics, so seperating your pre-amp/processor and power amp does make sense overall.

If you go with an older AVR, make sure you buy from an authorized reseller. Otherwise, you may find your warranty coverage is invalid.

Hope this helps.

Ww

M

Mango Jerry

Enthusiast
I picked up a TSR-7810 recently from Costco and ended up returning it due to some of what KEW stated AND the low output voltage of the preouts. There are some good deals on old model Denons rights now (3300, 4300) if you want buy something that can drive your amp properly.

I too am looking for a new front end and you can get a lot of value for under $1000 notably on last year model AVRs. While I did say you probably do not need an external amp, you are unlikely to get much for it. Since you seemingly have enough channels, I would keep it. Heat does kill electronics, so seperating your pre-amp/processor and power amp does make sense overall.

If you go with an older AVR, make sure you buy from an authorized reseller. Otherwise, you may find your warranty coverage is invalid.

Hope this helps.

Ww
I appreciate the reply and opinion. I ended up with the Yamaha being delivered last night, so I have not had an opportunity to set it up yet.

One question and please forgive my lack of Home Theater technical knowledge, but l was under the impression, that the receiver pre-outs by-pass it's own internal amplifier? I did not know that the pre-outs actually "drive" the amp and can have low output voltage.

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I appreciate the reply and opinion. I ended up with the Yamaha being delivered last night, so I have not had an opportunity to set it up yet.

One question and please forgive my lack of Home Theater technical knowledge, but l was under the impression, that the receiver pre-outs by-pass it's own internal amplifier? I did not know that the pre-outs actually "drive" the amp and can have low output voltage.

Thanks!
Yes, the pre-outs (pre-amplifier outputs) bypass the avr's amp section, but they still need sufficient voltage on the pre-outs to work with the input sensitivity on the external amp (the Outlaw 7075 spec indicates it needs 1.0V for full output). There have been some reports of Yamaha units not having sufficient voltage for some amps....

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic

Thanks!
When you use most AVRs, the pre-out voltage drives internal amps and (if connected) external amps. No need to worry about the internal amp as the manufacturer has hopefully properly designed.

To keep this simple, let’s consider when the pre-out voltage drives the external amplifier. Ideally, you want the pre-out to supply enough voltage to drive amplifier to it’s max output. If it does not, you will get less than maximum output. This may still be acceptable. Since you have the equipment, is easiest just to try. Unless you were using the Outlaw to drive your subwoofer, also hook up your subwoofer to ensure it also gets loud enough too.

Ww

M

Mango Jerry

Enthusiast
Lovin and Winkles, thank you both for the reply and explanation of how it works. As suggested, the only way to find out if it is going to work is to try it. The sub is powered, so I did not have that hooked to the amp originally. I will update the thread once I get it all set up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis