Trying to help a old lady.....

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
At $900/pair, that's a fair price for LS50s. I've heard them and like them. Crutchfield's price puts them at a similar price to the Revel Concerto2 M16 speakers that shadyJ recommended. However, that price for the Revels was from 2016. What do they cost now?

Other small but highly recommended 2-way speakers in that general price range are the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 (on sale at $678/pair!), and the Salk SongSurround I at $895 (black or white) or $995 in your choice of 5 different veneers. Both these excellent makers sell only by Internet Direct. You can't find them in stores. Salk in particular does excellent work on its wooden veneer finishes, if that interests your mom. Both are highly regarded.

All the above speakers are easy to drive, and will do well combined with a sub woofer. I don't think you could do wrong with any of them.

FWIW, I have a pair of those Salks and when I heard the KEF LS50s, I was able to directly compare them. They aren't identical, but I liked both, and am happy to recommend either of them. I use mine as a 2-channel music only system in a large bedroom.
Those KEF LS50s will work well, as in rock out, with a sub.
They naturally roll-off below about 80 Hz. I don't think they require a high pass filter.
Awesome! I was wondering if natural roll offs played a part, heard a play list by one of my all time favorite Youtubers for audio reviews. He played a rap song and noticed how clear the vocals were and the bass thumps were barely audible. She is old school, like spins her own yarn before knitting, if she wants a shelf, she builds it, and hates saw blades that are painted with murals for decorations. Yes, wood finish would be awesome, but those kefs..... I can't stop thinking about em hahaha. My opinion some of the Martin logan and wharf Dale's are the best looking, but 4 ohms, and dont wanna stress things, and monitor audio.....so gorgeous! The m16s are 900 as well......
Just checked out those ascend speakers......beautiful, maybe wont need a sub right away? Wish I could hear them, but like the idea of American made!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Thought I would give a update, with much input with the fiance, we decided on the yamaha a-s 801 integrated amp, cd-s 300 cd player, the t-s 500 tuner. Went to my usual shop, had everything but the tuner, re auditioned the klipsch and paradigm mini towers (5 inch drivers) the premier b100, prestige b15, and klipsch rp600. He set them up on the same amp and cd player I chose on the board, and at about 60db, the klipsch out played the paradigms, they sounded more open, and a little more detailed than the paradigms on the highs. I asked if he had any rock to play louder (80db about 8ft away) and he qued up some Eric Clapton. Decided on bookshelves as with the v10 sub, would out perform the lower (lighter for mom) towers. Played through the B100s first, followed by the prestige b15, the highs were a little strung together on the b100s compared to the b15s, much more defined, little less bass output on the prestige as well, really surprised at $400 per speaker how well the b100 played, especiallythe lows, nice and tight. Switched to the rp600's, and could only handle 10 seconds, and almost immediately covered my ears they were that bad. The low bass guitar sounded bloated, like a Jenson sub in the trunk of a car, the highs were shrilly, and the complete midrange just disappeared, it was as though the speakers got confused, and just muddled everything together like a sunday buffet meatloaf. As again, this was for my mother, I knew the double price for the b15 would be lost on her, so I am now currently breaking in on a cd loop the b100s, and a v10 sub. Though I have the premier 800 towers, and they're obviously better speakers, hooked up to my marantz 7007, dont sound as lively as my moms new system! Again I'm no pro, just my best description of my opinion. I'm sure she will be happy, and find a rekindled love for music. Thanks to all for your suggestions and support!

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Oh, also nothing against the 803, but my mother doesn't know how to set wifi on her phone, so we were afraid a lot of the tech on the 803 would be lost, and scare her into not being comfortable enough to use the system. The 801 is just knobs, nice and easy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, in my opinion if you're not going to optimize good speakers it's kind of criminal to get expensive speakers then neuter them with poor placement. Proper setup and placement is how you get to that "experience of listening, being overwhelmed by sonic's, to get lost in the music and let go.". Otherwise I suggest getting a pair of TFE60s and call it a day. They're very, very good speakers for the price and will keep your costs down.

For the record, the TFE series has been recently drastically reduced. Those are very good speakers and absolutely fantastic for the current price.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Conrats - that is a nice system! I am sure she will enjoy it for many years to come.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
I'm sure she will, these yamaha components are really quite impressive!

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Okay, in my opinion if you're not going to optimize good speakers it's kind of criminal to get expensive speakers then neuter them with poor placement. Proper setup and placement is how you get to that "experience of listening, being overwhelmed by sonic's, to get lost in the music and let go.". Otherwise I suggest getting a pair of TFE60s and call it a day. They're very, very good speakers for the price and will keep your costs down.

For the record, the TFE series has been recently drastically reduced. Those are very good speakers and absolutely fantastic for the current price.
I'm going to be working on that when I try to set them up. Just theres so much "stuff", but I guess when your 70, you have accumulated a lot! Maybe her new place she moves into, I will be able to set something better up where her chair is directly in front of the tv with the bookshelves flanking on either side on my good stands. Time will tell!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm going to be working on that when I try to set them up. Just theres so much "stuff", but I guess when your 70, you have accumulated a lot! Maybe her new place she moves into, I will be able to set something better up where her chair is directly in front of the tv with the bookshelves flanking on either side on my good stands. Time will tell!

Yeah, you don't have to have absolute perfect placement. Most of us rarely do, we work with what we have. Even a little effort can go a long way tho. I just hate to see nice speakers set up all cattywampus, one higher than the other, in cubby holes, tweeters pointing in opposite directions, center channel on the floor...

Screenshot_2020-02-05-13-24-38-1.png

:p

Also for the record, the TFE series speakers I recommended aren't just bottom of the barrel speakers. The price is deceiving with those. They really do punch way above their price point. I didn't want you to think I was recommending garbage based on my comments about placement. :)

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, you don't have to have absolute perfect placement. Most of us rarely do, we work with what we have. Even a little effort can go a long way tho. I just hate to see nice speakers set up all cattywampus, one higher than the other, in cubby holes, tweeters pointing in opposite directions, center channel on the floor...

View attachment 34180

Also for the record, the TFE series speakers I recommended aren't just bottom of the barrel speakers. The price is deceiving with those. They really do punch way above their price point. I didn't want you to think I was recommending garbage based on my comments about placement. :)
Like I said hopefully when she moves I'll be able to sit her directly in front with the tv centered, and speakers on stands. And that picture is making my OCD kick into overdrive! Hahahah

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis