Trump Organization found guilty on all counts of criminal tax fraud

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Weisselberg is off to Rikers. Based on the judge's comments, he's lucky he only got five months.
That same judge penalized the Trump Organization the maximum amount allowed under the law, $1.6 million. Good for the judge. Too bad it couldn't be $1.6 billion.

In the past, the Trump Organization has over claimed their worth, or under claimed it – depending whether they were seeking a loan, or filling taxes. Therefore $1.6 is either chump change, or enough to drive the Trump Organization permanently out of business.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
That same judge penalized the Trump Organization the maximum amount allowed under the law, $1.6 million. Good for the judge. Too bad it couldn't be $1.6 billion.

In the past, the Trump Organization has over claimed their worth, or under claimed it – depending whether they were seeking a loan, or filling taxes. Therefore $1.6 is either chump change, or enough to drive the Trump Organization permanently out of business.
Darn shame its not Trump going to Rikers Island

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Today's episode of "Trump's lawyers get their *sses handed to them in court" is (again) brought to you courtesy of judge Middlebrooks:

>>>Jan 19 (Reuters) - A federal judge on Thursday ordered former U.S. President Donald Trump and his attorneys to pay more than $937,000 in sanctions for suing former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton over claims the 2016 presidential election was rigged.

U.S. District Judge John Middlebrooks, who threw out Trump's lawsuit in September, said the sanctions were warranted because the former president had exhibited a pattern of misusing the courts to further his political agenda.<<<

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Today's episode of "Trump's lawyers get their *sses handed to them in court" is (again) brought to you courtesy of judge Middlebrooks:

>>>Jan 19 (Reuters) - A federal judge on Thursday ordered former U.S. President Donald Trump and his attorneys to pay more than $937,000 in sanctions for suing former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton over claims the 2016 presidential election was rigged.

U.S. District Judge John Middlebrooks, who threw out Trump's lawsuit in September, said the sanctions were warranted because the former president had exhibited a pattern of misusing the courts to further his political agenda.<<<

$937,000 is chump change compared to the $1.6 billion that Alex Jones owes.

(Yes, I do understand that Jones owes money because of lawsuit outcomes, while Trump & his legal team have been sanctioned because they filed frivolous lawsuits that were thrown out of court.)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

(Yes, I do understand that Jones owes money because of lawsuit outcomes, while Trump & his legal team have been sanctioned because they filed frivolous lawsuits that were thrown out of court.)
Now he seems to be withdrawing some lawsuits.
He may have to sell stuff to get all that cash to pay out.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Today's episode of "Trump's lawyers get their *sses handed to them in court" is brought to you courtesy of judge Middlebrooks:

>>>A federal judge has turned down an effort by former President Donald Trump to block aspects of New York Attorney General Tish James' drive to place the Trump business empire under court supervision due to what she claims is persistent fraud.

U.S. District Court Donald Middlebrooks coupled his ruling Wednesday with a stern warning to Trump and his lawyers that their legal tactics could result in sanctions from the court.

"This litigation has all the telltale signs of being both vexatious and frivolous," Middlebrooks wrote in a footnote to his eight-page order turning down Trump's attempt to get emergency relief to stop James from gaining access to details about a trust that controls some Trump businesses.<<<

Somewhat surprisingly, Trump's lawyers withdrew the lawsuit against the NY AG after getting torched by Middlebrooks in the case against Clinton, Comey, and numerous others. Alina Habba is an extremely slow learner, but even she was able to see what was coming in the other case.

>>>This morning, Trump’s lawyers voluntarily dismissed the suit against AG James, apparently unwilling to risk continuing before a jurist who’d already urged them in no uncertain terms to “reconsider their opposition to Defendant’s Motion to Dismiss” because “this litigation has all the telltale signs of being both vexatious and frivolous.”<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

As far as I can tell, the main driver of all the garbage Trump lawsuits is the fundraising it generates. It's mind-boggling to me, but there are apparently a significant number of people who are anxious to piss their money away on never-ending garbage lawsuits.

From a prior opinion by judge Middlebrook ordering sanctions in the same case in which he ordered $1 million this week:

>>>So who is responsible for this case and others like it? The rule of law is undermined by the toxic combination of political fundraising with legal fees paid by political action committees, reckless and factually untrue statements by lawyers at rallies and in the media, and efforts to advance a political narrative through lawsuits without factual basis or any cognizable legal theory. Lawyers are enabling this behavior and I am pessimistic that Rule 11 alone can effectively stem this abuse. Aspects may be beyond the purview of the judiciary, requiring attention of the Bar and disciplinary authorities. Additional sanctions may be appropriate. (DE 280). But legal filings like those at issue here should be sanctioned under Rule 11, both to penalize this conduct and deter similar conduct by these lawyers and others.<<< (emphasis added)

https://abovethelaw.com/2022/11/judge-slaps-sanctions-on-lawyers-in-trumps-rico-lolsuit-against-hillary-clinton-and-pal-james-comey/

I suspect Habba is getting close to being disbarred.

Unfortunately, it's like whack a mole. Another idiot will pop up in her place.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mr Clark, any comments on the DeSantis case regarding his suspending the district attorney? Free publicity comes with the lies....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Also, while smaller potatoes, the judge also ordered $171k+ to be paid for legal fees to Clinton and the group who was sued by the Trumpster.
Trumpster filed over 4,000 lawsuits in the last 3 years. Unreal.
Judges should follow suit from this case and start fining them at max$$$. Then it would be a gamechanger for a change.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Mr Clark, any comments on the DeSantis case regarding his suspending the district attorney? Free publicity comes with the lies....
I haven't followed that situation. I'm not really sure of the merits either way.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Federal court dismissed the case. While there are 1st amendment rights violated, it is a state matter.
AG said this is not over.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If I heard him yesterday, I think, courts dismissed, ruled against the governor, it as illegal dismissal.
Yes they said it was illegal and deSantis definitely screwed up but believe that particular court said they didn't particularly have jurisdiction either altho they still heard it (which was confusing). Lots of free publicity via news coverage and maga-type rage engendered, tho

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Also, while smaller potatoes, the judge also ordered $171k+ to be paid for legal fees to Clinton and the group who was sued by the Trumpster.
Trumpster filed over 4,000 lawsuits in the last 3 years. Unreal.
Judges should follow suit from this case and start fining them at max$$$. Then it would be a gamechanger for a change.
I wonder if the people funding these garbage lawsuits realize that (due to the sanctions) their money actually goes into the pockets of the lawyers representing the defendants.

Here's an article that was cited by the judge in the sanctions order:

>>>Former President Donald Trump wasted no time seeking a fundraising boost off the heels of his lawsuits against Facebook, Google, and Twitter, with the Republican National Committee sending out emails and texts soliciting donations within minutes of the announcement.<<<

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-announces-lawsuits-against-facebook-165441829.html

This is just one example. The sanctions order lists many more instances of the exact same pattern of filing lawsuits and immediately soliciting donations.

Notice that Trump and Habba are jointly and severally liable for the $1 million:

1674339842600.png

What this means is that Trump and Habba will likely have to fight each other over who pays.

>>>When two or more parties are jointly and severally liable for a tortious act, each party is independently liable for the full extent of the injuries stemming from the tortious act. Thus, if a plaintiff wins a money judgment against the parties collectively, the plaintiff may collect the full value of the judgment from any one of them. That party may then seek contribution from the other wrong-doers. This concept of choosing the defendant(s) from whom to collect damages is called the law of indivisible injury. . . . For example suppose that A, B, and C negligently injure V. V successfully sues A, B, and C, for $1,000,000. If the court used a joint and several liability system, V could demand that A pay V the full $1,000,000. A could them demand contribution from B and C. However, if B or C could not pay, A would be stuck paying the full $1,000,000.<<<

It's a snake eat snake world.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I wonder if the people funding these garbage lawsuits realize that (due to the sanctions) their money actually goes into the pockets of the lawyers representing the defendants.

Here's an article that was cited by the judge in the sanctions order:

>>>Former President Donald Trump wasted no time seeking a fundraising boost off the heels of his lawsuits against Facebook, Google, and Twitter, with the Republican National Committee sending out emails and texts soliciting donations within minutes of the announcement.<<<

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-announces-lawsuits-against-facebook-165441829.html

This is just one example. The sanctions order lists many more instances of the exact same pattern of filing lawsuits and immediately soliciting donations.

Notice that Trump and Habba are jointly and severally liable for the $1 million:

View attachment 59732

What this means is that Trump and Habba will likely have to fight each other over who pays.

>>>When two or more parties are jointly and severally liable for a tortious act, each party is independently liable for the full extent of the injuries stemming from the tortious act. Thus, if a plaintiff wins a money judgment against the parties collectively, the plaintiff may collect the full value of the judgment from any one of them. That party may then seek contribution from the other wrong-doers. This concept of choosing the defendant(s) from whom to collect damages is called the law of indivisible injury. . . . For example suppose that A, B, and C negligently injure V. V successfully sues A, B, and C, for $1,000,000. If the court used a joint and several liability system, V could demand that A pay V the full $1,000,000. A could them demand contribution from B and C. However, if B or C could not pay, A would be stuck paying the full $1,000,000.<<<

It's a snake eat snake world.
I wonder how that law partnership like this? ;) Maybe she is fired?:D
Wonder how long they have to pay that bill as well as that $171k to Clinton and group.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Yes they said it was illegal and deSantis definitely screwed up but believe that particular court said they didn't particularly have jurisdiction either altho they still heard it (which was confusing). Lots of free publicity via news coverage and maga-type rage engendered, tho

I have not read the opinion but it does seem like a somewhat odd case.

There's an old maxim that every court has jurisdiction to determine it's own jurisdiction. Normally a court decides jurisdictional issues before going to trial, however. There's little point in having a trial if the court already knows it can't order the relief sought by the plaintiff.

Here's a blurb from the NY Times:

>>>Judge Hinkle found that the . . . suspension . . . violated the prosecutor’s free speech rights. . . . The governor also cited other justifications for the suspension that do not violate the First Amendment, but do violate the Florida Constitution, . . .
The judge found, however, that he could not order Mr. Warren’s reinstatement, because it was a matter of state law and not federal law.

The Eleventh Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, he wrote, “prohibits a federal court from awarding declaratory or injunctive relief of the kind at issue against a state official based only on a violation of state law.”<<<

Based on this I think the judge said that DeSantis gave several justifications for the suspension, at least one of which violated the prosecutor's 1st Amendment rights. This justification was apparently discarded (in a sense) by the judge on Constitutional grounds, leaving only justifications that are issues of state law.

What strikes me as odd is that the purpose of a trial is to determine facts. It appears to me that the judge basically said that the plaintiff won on the merits across the board (i.e. the plaintiff proved the facts alleged in the complaint), but he (the judge) couldn't order relief due the the 11th amendment.

I'm sure there's more to it, but it seems as if the judge could have determined before the trial that the outcome of the trial would be legally moot no matter what the facts were.

I'd have to read the entire opinion to see what's actually going on. I'll admit, I'm not especially anxious to do so.

There's an old joke that trying to become a partner in a law firm is like a pie eating contest where the prize is more pie. I've been eating heaps of pie every day for years now and there times when more pie just doesn't sound very good.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I suspect Habba is getting close to being disbarred.
Trump dropped another lawsuit today. This is speculative, but I can't help but wonder if the heat on Habba is starting to have an effect (realistically, even if it's a factor it can't be sole the reason).

>>>Former President Trump on Tuesday dropped a second lawsuit against New York Attorney General Letitia James (D) that sought to block her investigations into him and his businesses. . . . When reached for comment, Trump attorney Alina Habba said, “This appeal was voluntarily withdrawn for strategic purposes.”<<<

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Trump dropped another lawsuit today. This is speculative, but I can't help but wonder if the heat on Habba is starting to have an effect (realistically, even if it's a factor it can't be sole the reason).

>>>Former President Trump on Tuesday dropped a second lawsuit against New York Attorney General Letitia James (D) that sought to block her investigations into him and his businesses. . . . When reached for comment, Trump attorney Alina Habba said, “This appeal was voluntarily withdrawn for strategic purposes.”<<<

I bet they didn't want another million dollar fine+ lawyers' fees. There may be more withdrawals to follow.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
>>>Judge Juan Merchan on Tuesday said had he not already promised a five-month sentence to Weisselberg, he would have issued a stiffer sentence “much greater” than five months after listening to evidence at trial. Merchan found Weisselberg’s fabrication of a fraudulent $6,000 payroll check cut to his wife so she could become eligible for Social Security benefits to be the most “offensive” of the crimes the judge said were driven by the Trump Org. executive’s greed. Merchan said he felt he had to share this view in response to Weisselberg’s lawyer who requested an even lesser sentence to his client given his age and other factors.<<<

Given judge Merchan's frustration that he couldn't go beyond the 5 month sentence under the plea deal, It looks like the Manhattan DA might be considering additional charges against Weasel Burger to make up for the lenient 5 month deal. The DA apparently wants to play another round of "Pop goes the Weasel Burger."

We may also see another round of "Tump throws Weasel Burger under the bus" and the resulting weasel road pies in Manhattan.

>>>Manhattan prosecutors this week warned that they might file new fraud charges against Allen H. Weisselberg, a longtime top executive at Donald J. Trump’s real estate business — increasing pressure on Mr. Weisselberg to cooperate in a broader investigation into the former president, according to people with knowledge of the matter.<<<

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I have not read the opinion but it does seem like a somewhat odd case.

There's an old maxim that every court has jurisdiction to determine it's own jurisdiction. Normally a court decides jurisdictional issues before going to trial, however. There's little point in having a trial if the court already knows it can't order the relief sought by the plaintiff.

Here's a blurb from the NY Times:

>>>Judge Hinkle found that the . . . suspension . . . violated the prosecutor’s free speech rights. . . . The governor also cited other justifications for the suspension that do not violate the First Amendment, but do violate the Florida Constitution, . . .
The judge found, however, that he could not order Mr. Warren’s reinstatement, because it was a matter of state law and not federal law.

The Eleventh Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, he wrote, “prohibits a federal court from awarding declaratory or injunctive relief of the kind at issue against a state official based only on a violation of state law.”<<<

Based on this I think the judge said that DeSantis gave several justifications for the suspension, at least one of which violated the prosecutor's 1st Amendment rights. This justification was apparently discarded (in a sense) by the judge on Constitutional grounds, leaving only justifications that are issues of state law.

What strikes me as odd is that the purpose of a trial is to determine facts. It appears to me that the judge basically said that the plaintiff won on the merits across the board (i.e. the plaintiff proved the facts alleged in the complaint), but he (the judge) couldn't order relief due the the 11th amendment.

I'm sure there's more to it, but it seems as if the judge could have determined before the trial that the outcome of the trial would be legally moot no matter what the facts were.

I'd have to read the entire opinion to see what's actually going on. I'll admit, I'm not especially anxious to do so.

There's an old joke that trying to become a partner in a law firm is like a pie eating contest where the prize is more pie. I've been eating heaps of pie every day for years now and there times when more pie just doesn't sound very good.
That ATTY that Desantis suspended, " DeSantis said Warren had “put himself publicly above the law” by signing letters saying he would not enforce laws prohibiting gender-affirming care for minors or laws limiting abortion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis