Trump Organization found guilty on all counts of criminal tax fraud

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If the IRS determines that your tax preparer made a mistake, this may help you in seeking to avoid fees, penalties, and interest (or having these costs paid by your tax preparer). Since they are your taxes, they are ultimately your responsibility .
With the right lawyers, nobody needs to accept responsibility.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
If Biden is even president when this even goes to a trial a hearing. This crap could take years. Nixon's pardon by Ford, well Ford noted this years later " After Ford left the White House in 1977, he privately justified his pardon of Nixon by carrying in his wallet a portion of the text of Burdick v. United States, a 1915 U.S. Supreme Court case where the dictum stated that a pardon carries an imputation of guilt and that its acceptance carries a confession of guilt. ""
There are a number of federal criminal investigations of Trump and the stolen documents case is the simplest one and said to be actually straightforward. Perhaps we see an indictment and trial earlier with that one?

As for a presidential pardon: It won't cover state crimes. There is a grand jury investigation of Trump in Georgia that might pan out to him spending some time in jail.

Any pardon of Trump will go down very badly with a very large part of the electorate, and Ford likely lost his re-election because of his pardon of Nixon. Will a Republican president pardon Trump or even a commute of sentence if he was found guilty?

highfigh

highfigh

There are a number of federal criminal investigations of Trump and the stolen documents case is the simplest one and said to be actually straightforward. Perhaps we see an indictment and trial earlier with that one?

As for a presidential pardon: It won't cover state crimes. There is a grand jury investigation of Trump in Georgia that might pan out to him spending some time in jail.

Any pardon of Trump will go down very badly with a very large part of the electorate, and Ford likely lost his re-election because of his pardon of Nixon. Will a Republican president pardon Trump or even a commute of sentence if he was found guilty?
I have been seeing that T bag tore up or shredded documents- maybe someone will produce a list.

I'm not sure Ford would have been elected even if he hadn't pardoned Nixon.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
With the right lawyers, nobody needs to accept responsibility.
Possibly, but you may have noticed that the title of this thread is "Trump Organization found guilty on all counts of criminal tax fraud."

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Possibly, but you may have noticed that the title of this thread is "Trump Organization found guilty on all counts of criminal tax fraud."
yep and I wonder what the odds are of the the leader of that organization ever doing 'jail time' ?? :mad:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
yep and I wonder what the odds are of the the leader of that organization ever doing 'jail time' ?? :mad:
You should vote for a party that actually cares about law & order & justice, say, the Democrats. ;)

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
That remains to be seen. Trump was not personally indicted for anything in the tax fraud trial of the Trump Organization, but the CFO of the organization will spend 5 months in jail for violations in his personal tax returns (assuming the judge decides he complied with his plea deal).

>>>Weisselberg, who is on paid leave from the company, spent three days on the witness stand. He pleaded guilty to 15 felonies for failing to pay taxes on $1.76 million in income. As part of his plea deal, he will be sentenced to five months in jail if the judge finds that he testified truthfully.<<<

Now that Trump's personal tax returns are public, prosecutors can review them for potential criminal violations.

Having said that, very few people ever do jail time for tax fraud (by itself).

>>>It is a crime to cheat on your taxes. In a recent year, however, fewer than 2,000 people were convicted of tax crimes —0.0022% of all taxpayers. . . . You will probably never face criminal fraud penalties. At least 98% of the time, the IRS punishes fraud with civil penalties—fines of 75% added to the tax due.<<<

I have yet to see a comprehensive review of Trump's personal tax returns suggesting that he either did or did not commit crimes in connection with his personal tax returns.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
And, we also learned that no IRS audit of Trump's taxes took place at all during the last 2 years of Trump's single term in the White House.
The first thing I thought of when I saw the news about no IRS audit of Trump were the audits of Comey and McCabe. What are the odds?

Somewhat surprisingly (sardonic humor alert), the audits of Comey and McCabe may have been the only two things that occurred under Trump that didn't involve some sort of ethical lapse, abuse of power, jack*ssery, or dereliction of duty (I'm using "dereliction of duty" in the colloquial sense, not the legal sense).

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

Somewhat surprisingly (sardonic humor alert), the audits of Comey and McCabe may have been the only two things that occurred under Trump that didn't involve some sort of ethical lapse, abuse of power, jack*ssery, or dereliction of duty (I'm using "dereliction of duty" in the colloquial sense, not the legal sense).
I'm not aware of the differences between the colloquial and legal meanings of 'dereliction of duty'. I'm a bit curious to know more about that. But, at the same time, I get that the legal meaning would probably be a bit sleep inducing.

What about jack*ssery? Are there both colloquial and legal meanings for that?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I'm not aware of the differences between the colloquial and legal meanings of 'dereliction of duty'. I'm a bit curious to know more about that. But, at the same time, I get that the legal meaning would probably be a bit sleep inducing.

Well, he did post at 8:39PM. ;) :D

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

According to the UCMJ, failure to follow orders, etc. constitutes dereliction of duty

Although the President is the Commander in Chief, he's a civilian so he's not subject to the UCMJ.

I see various uses of "dereliction of duty" that seem to be more general or colloqial. The title of the book "Dereliction of Duty: Johnson, McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam" by H.R. McMaster strikes me as being an example of this. I haven't read the book, so I'm not 100% sure, however.

To my mind Trump's activities on January 6 and leading up to January 6 violated the oath of office he took when he was sworn into office:

>>>Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."<<<

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/constitution-transcript

To my mind, the oath of office corresponds to a duty of the President, and violating the oath constitutes dereliction of duty (in a sense), even though this is not legally dereliction of duty. That's just my opinion. People are of course free to view it differently.

Basically, I didn't want someone to conclude that I was asserting that Trump violated the UCMJ.

I'm certainly not aware of any legal definition of jack*ssery. Merriam-Webster's definition ("a piece of stupidity or folly") is probably close enough for the topic at hand.

Having said that, the courts may well coin a legal definition for "jack*ssery" before they're done with Trump (that's intended to be humorous, but I suspect it fell short).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

According to the UCMJ, failure to follow orders, etc. constitutes dereliction of duty

Although the President is the Commander in Chief, he's a civilian so he's not subject to the UCMJ.

I see various uses of "dereliction of duty" that seem to be more general or colloqial. The title of the book "Dereliction of Duty: Johnson, McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam" by H.R. McMaster strikes me as being an example of this. I haven't read the book, so I'm not 100% sure, however.

To my mind Trump's activities on January 6 and leading up to January 6 violated the oath of office he took when he was sworn into office:

>>>Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."<<<

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/constitution-transcript

To my mind, the oath of office corresponds to a duty of the President, and violating the oath constitutes dereliction of duty (in a sense), even though this is not legally dereliction of duty. That's just my opinion. People are of course free to view it differently.

Basically, I didn't want someone to conclude that I was asserting that Trump violated the UCMJ.

I'm certainly not aware of any legal definition of jack*ssery. Merriam-Webster's definition ("a piece of stupidity or folly") is probably close enough for the topic at hand.

Having said that, the courts may well coin a legal definition for "jack*ssery" before they're done with Trump (that's intended to be humorous, but I suspect it fell short).
Oh no. Not close to bedtime yet. :D :D :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Although the President is the Commander in Chief, he's a civilian so he's not subject to the UCMJ …
Not for one moment did I ever mistake Trump for someone who spent time in the military. He served himself, not his country.

Trump's activities from his first day in office in January 2017 went far beyond "dereliction of duty" or violating his Oath of Office. He actively broke federal laws and the Constitution so often that we forget most of what he did, except the recent examples. His last effort while in office included trying to overthrow the results of an election he lost, attempted overthrow of the federal government, and fomenting an armed insurrection – not to mention witness tampering and extortion of judges. Mere tax evasion, even if it went on for decades, seems mild in comparison.

As far as the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) goes, anyone who ever did spend time in the military knows the widely repeated joke that the UCMJ is neither Uniform, nor Military, nor Just. But in Trump's case I'd like to see him prosecuted to the full extent of the law, including the UCMJ. Maybe that would allow them to find a way to shoot him at sunrise, or worse, lock him away at Parris Island.

OK, rant finished. Happy Holidays to everyone at AH!

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

I think a good colloquial example of 'dereliction of duty' is Beetle Bailey, most characters on MASK and Hogan's Heroes.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I've started reading the January 6 report. Section 7 is "187 MINUTES OF DERELICTION" and it includes the following:

>>>The 187 minutes between the end of President Trump’s speech and
when he finally told the mob to leave the U.S. Capitol was a dereliction of
duty. In the U.S. military, a service member is deemed to be “derelict in the
performance of duties when that person willfully or negligently fails to per-
form that person’s duties or when that person performs them in a culpably
inefficient manner.” 2 As Commander-in-Chief, President Trump had the
power—more than any other American—to muster the U.S. Government’s
resources and end the attack on the U.S. Capitol. He willfully remained idle
even as others, including his own Vice President, acted."

Just an FYI, draw your own conclusions.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Weisselberg is off to Rikers. Based on the judge's comments, he's lucky he only got five months.

>>>Allen Weisselberg, former President Donald Trump’s long-time chief financial officer, was sentenced by a New York judge to five months in jail for his role in a decade-long tax fraud scheme after testifying as the state’s witness against the Trump Organization. Following the court hearing, Weisselberg, 75, is expected to report to Rikers Island, the notorious New York City jail, to begin serving his sentence immediately. He will be placed in an infirmary unit and not be part of the general population, a person familiar with the matter told CNN. . . .

Judge Juan Merchan on Tuesday said had he not already promised a five-month sentence to Weisselberg, he would have issued a stiffer sentence “much greater” than five months after listening to evidence at trial. Merchan found Weisselberg’s fabrication of a fraudulent $6,000 payroll check cut to his wife so she could become eligible for Social Security benefits to be the most “offensive” of the crimes the judge said were driven by the Trump Org. executive’s greed. Merchan said he felt he had to share this view in response to Weisselberg’s lawyer who requested an even lesser sentence to his client given his age and other factors.<<<

He also paid some taxes:

>>>Weisselberg also paid off the remaining balance of just over $1 million in back taxes and penalties last week he owed to tax authorities, Hoffinger confirmed. He paid more than $2 million in total.<<<

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis