D

Dr. Parthipan

Junior Audioholic
Is there any subwoofer on the market which can go loud at 10-20hz? I am not sure it's possible from small box size subs out there. If not, how can this be achieved in a home?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Is there any subwoofer on the market which can go loud at 10-20hz? I am not sure it's possible from small box size subs out there. If not, how can this be achieved in a home?
Nearly anything is possible if price is no object. A driver that does both loud and low will cost plenty and will be large. How much money and floorspace do you want to spend?

Read about Hoffman's Iron Law.

Another question I have for you is why do you want below 20 Hz? There are good subwoofers available at reasonable prices than can produce sound as low as 25 Hz. To go down to 20 Hz costs quite a lot more. Below 20 Hz is more likely internet braggadocio than real performance. In my opinion, money would be better spent on the various efforts needed to smooth out bass response variations caused by room reflections than by seeking performance below 20 Hz.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Danley DTS-10, Seaton Terraform XL, JTR Orbit Shifter, etc?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
define room size....

I have a Seaton Submersive in a 1700 cu ft room and I'm hitting 10hz with tons of headroom avail...

The bigger the room the harder it is.....

D

Dr. Parthipan

Junior Audioholic
define room size....

I have a Seaton Submersive in a 1700 cu ft room and I'm hitting 10hz with tons of headroom avail...

The bigger the room the harder it is.....
What happens when you play 10hz? You wont hear anything so what effect can it produce?

I have no budget because this is just a hypothetical question out of interest. Loud at 10hz means it should be able to cause vibrations which can be felt from a large distance.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The only way to really get infrasonics in an average or large room with traditional cone drivers is lots of displacement. That means multiple 18" or 21" drivers with lots of linear excursion.

A thigpen rotary is not a traditional cone driver however, and will do 5hz to ~35hz without breaking a sweat but can't do much higher than that. It requires an infinite baffle install.

Tom Danley also made an infrasonic tapped horn known as the Matterhorn for the military. @_@ his horns are just ridiculous.

Anyways these can have interesting effects. According to wikipedia the resonant frequency of the eye is 18hz... and that can cause you to trip out.

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Is there any subwoofer on the market which can go loud at 10-20hz?
Yes.

I am not sure it's possible from small box size subs out there. If not, how can this be achieved in a home?
With big box size, multiple subs, and/or non "moving piston" speakers (such as the rotary subs)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What happens when you play 10hz? You wont hear anything so what effect can it produce?

I have no budget because this is just a hypothetical question out of interest. Loud at 10hz means it should be able to cause vibrations which can be felt from a large distance.
20Hz causes a vibration that can be felt a long distance away. I can hear my system with a 22Hz tone, but at 20Hz, it is already starting to be something that is more felt than heard. Below that, you can feel the pressure and things in the room vibrate, but that's about it.

C

clouso

Banned
20Hz causes a vibration that can be felt a long distance away. I can hear my system with a 22Hz tone, but at 20Hz, it is already starting to be something that is more felt than heard. Below that, you can feel the pressure and things in the room vibrate, but that's about it.
So im feeling the pressure!... that sub12 must be good?...:D...cant wait to have dual...:eek:

C

clouso

Banned
btw..does that epik empire really weights at 140 pounds?...damn...:p

C

clouso

Banned
just to name this one and that i owned it...the seismic12 was rated at 17hz but in fact was going lower then that...but since i have the sub12 the biggest difference is tightness and fastness....and yes it goes even lower then the seismic..to my ears..cause i dont have any measurement stuff...but i am loving what im hearing from the sub12.....very musical....and for movies it can go deep more then enough...must lower the volume level...my old neighbour is starting to hate me ..imagine when i get a second one with an Emotiva XPA-5...:eek:

D

Dr. Parthipan

Junior Audioholic
just to name this one and that i owned it...the seismic12 was rated at 17hz but in fact was going lower then that...but since i have the sub12 the biggest difference is tightness and fastness....and yes it goes even lower then the seismic..to my ears..cause i dont have any measurement stuff...but i am loving what im hearing from the sub12.....very musical....and for movies it can go deep more then enough...must lower the volume level...my old neighbour is starting to hate me ..imagine when i get a second one with an Emotiva XPA-5...:eek:
Take your sub outdoors then see if it goes down to 17hz. You wont hear or feel a thing. :)

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Take a Terraform XL outside and you'll find out it actually has a pile of output at 17Hz. :cool:

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja

I'm just going off measurements taken in my room, my statement was an example, I don't really care about output down to 10hz, as you say, all it does is shake things a good deal.

Is there any subwoofer on the market which can go loud at 10-20hz?
I answered your question - but it really all depends on the quality of a subwoofer and that Subs interaction with the room. If you have a small to medium sized room adn the right placements you may experience a good amount of room gain netting you good performance in the subsonic region....

Even with my stupid subs I built - being placed in a stadium that doesn't give me much room gain at all, I don't see alot performance below 20hz.... the measurements are showing them rolling off @ 17-18hz. In a smaller - medium sized room, it is a very good bet that I would be hitting the single digits with ease. Do I care - heck no - the sonic region output is wicked. It is because of the room interaction, long tall walls, wood floors over long joists, large windows - all of those things are basically absorbing the deep bass waves (subsonic freqs) - flexing and in turn counteracting - which produces cancellation in those freq regions....

Again my point was - one needs to define the room size & layout to get a better understanding of how those subsonics will react, every room is different. Square, rectangle, obtuse, oval , open to other areas, concrete floor - joist floor, windows, totally closed.... way to many variables not accounted for in the question to say whether x sub is going to do subsonics....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis