Transformers HD DVD review up

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i guess I'm just looking at the "whole" picture :)

you know, the face, the beep, the beep, the beep and personality :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
i guess I'm just looking at the "whole" picture :)

you know, the face, the beep, the beep, the beep and personality :)
Oh, don't get me wrong. When I'm talking to someone, personality is extremely important. However, with pictures, it is by its very nature all about looks.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, don't get me wrong. When I'm talking to someone, personality is extremely important. However, with pictures, it is by its very nature all about looks.
i don't plan on doing anything with the pictures :rolleyes:

are you? :p

just kidding!!

seriously though, I can't complete the fantasy with no personality ... get what I mean?

what is she? the girl in the red dress in the matrix? "she doesn't talk much ..."

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
When mike sees a picture he sees the thousand words that goes with it. I think she said "poppycock" in her picture, so mike didn't approve.

Let me put this bluntly...

deleted

SheepStar

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
When mike sees a picture he sees the thousand words that goes with it. I think she said "poppycock" in her picture, so mike didn't approve.

Let me put this bluntly...

deleted

SheepStar
Words escape me.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i'm not saying she's not good enough ... come on, she's singlehandedly made me consider buying an HD-DVD player!!

I guess my previous comment on getting transformers on SD DVD was a bit premature :) pun intended?

back on topic ... so they're saying the transformation of the robots look better on the HD than on the SD which they say "looks blurry"?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
i'm not saying she's not good enough ... come on, she's singlehandedly made me consider buying an HD-DVD player!!

I guess my previous comment on getting transformers on SD DVD was a bit premature :) pun intended?

back on topic ... so they're saying the transformation of the robots look better on the HD than on the SD which they say "looks blurry"?
Macroblocking I believe is the correct term. DVDs, like all video formats, are compressed. They are limited to a certain bit-rate and yada, yada, yada. When the bitrate hits max (not sure what it is for DVD, I think 10 megabits) that is it, no more data can be crammed, so some noticeable macroblocking is seen. This is not to dissimilar from the compression you see when watching videos on Youtube.

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
Is it completely ridiculous to consider buying an HDDVD player for this movie? Because I am...

I probably won't though, since I'd be supporting a format that I don't... well... support.

But that doesn't mean I won't argue with myself about it for another several hours.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Is it completely ridiculous to consider buying an HDDVD player for this movie? Because I am...

I probably won't though, since I'd be supporting a format that I don't... well... support.

But that doesn't mean I won't argue with myself about it for another several hours.
Make a big enough fuss and maybe they're release it on Blu Ray.. I hear boycotts are in season.

SheepStar

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
For CHP, it is a matter of personal preference as well if the finances are up for it.

Me, having both, honestly I could do without Blu-Ray, if Disney was not involved.
When they get off there tuchus, and start shipping out classics, then BD IMO would be worth it.
The only movie I am waiting currently for is Cars.
The Incredibles, would be a nice release.
As well as National Treasure, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., Toy Story, Angels in the Outfield, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc.
And super classics like Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc...

However, it really seems as though Disney is not making a effort on the classics, ATP.

I am not saying HD DVD is any better, but I don't think they are holding classics back for marketing reasons.

Honestly, if they (Disney) released just these "Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty" then they would have so many woman wanting BD, for just those movies in HD.

Anyhow, it is not that I regret buying into BD, but they do seem like the worse of the 2 evils. As they release movies when it is convienant to uplift BD sales. Or have MAJOR sales, to show dishonest numbers in sales.

What they need to do, is bring the cost of the players to reasonable, everyday joe, amounts.
Buying the BD-P1200 was a hard purchase to swallow (especially at 600.). Out of the 3 players I have, it is not my favorite.
That would be my HD-XA1

Anyhways, ranting aside.
Yes, I would buy a player just for a particular movie. As, then I would not be missing out on any HD material.

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
Bleh, guess I better get an HD-DVD player then...

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
The XA2 is a stellar component when it works. The 1080p/24fps truehd experience will all be worth it tomorrow. Wait, everything was already worth it this is just icing on the cake. :D

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Absolutely stunning visual quality, I would agree that it gets a 5/5.
Audio is as well excellent.
See my post on it here - http://www.3dgameman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48022

"Transformers, transfer is 99.9% perfect IMO.
Picture quality is stunning (crytal clear, very sharp), audio is as well excellent.

Ever so slight grain in a few dark scenes, and skin tones are a tad pumped up.
However, I do recall the SAME exact colors when I saw this in the theater, so it looks to be an exact match of the master.

From my understanding the SD version, people are saying it has some macroblocking.
I will say on the HD DVD version, there is absolutely NO macroblocking.

Was well worth the wait, and IMHO could certainly be a reason for BD (only) fans to go format neutral."

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I am really rooting for HD DVD, I mean, they have The Matrix. How could they loose when they have The Matrix Trilogy?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Matrix is Warner and Warner is not exclusive. If they wanted to put any of their titles out on Blu-ray, they can. Matrix doesn't win it for me, sorry.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
I am really rooting for HD DVD, I mean, they have The Matrix. How could they loose when they have The Matrix Trilogy?
Don't be surprised if you see the Matrix Trilogy on BD before
the end of the year. As previously mentioned, Matrix is Warner.
When they announced they were coming out with the Matrix
on HD, the did say that there would be a BD release close to the
end of the year. I do remember this from one of the many press
releases I read.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Right, but for now it is just on HD DVD.:D

j_garcia, why don't you dig the Matrix?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I really liked the first movie, but the other two just didn't do anything for me and I was pretty disappointed with them both. Animatrix was better than both of them combined IMO :) Yes I own all of them...but it isn't a deal breaker for me. If and when they come out on BD, I will pick them up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis