Transformer buzz coming from amp

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
mitch57 said:
Your are correct. However, I seriously doubt that the problem is concentrated in the transformer/windings of his amp. If this were the case, it would be easily diagnosed by taking the amp to another location, such as his dealer, and doing a test with the amp plugged into the dealers wall outlets without any filtering or surge protection.

I found that my problem did not exhist when I took my amp to the dealer. He plugged it in to his wall outlet and the buzz was non exhistant. Both amps were dead silent at the dealers showroom. Please keep in mind that the dealer did not have any filtering going on when I plugged in my amp. We just plugged it into a standard wall outlet.

I personally don't see the need/advantage of using silicone or other means of silencing the amp unitl you positively identify where the buzzing is coming from.

In my particular circumstance, I positively identified that the problem was not resident in the amp, but in the power coming into my house. I am only suggesting that "wanjeyin" first identify if it truly is coming from the amp or from his power source. Plugging the amp in to another power source in a different town or at least a different suburb should provide the answer.
Again, we are not arguing, we are agreeing. I just want him to know that in case he might consider spending money (at least the shipping costs I guess even for a free trial) on some filters that can deal with d.c. offset issues, he need to find out if in fact power source is the problem.

I have a few gear, they behave from being almost silent, a little hum, to a louder hum. All in the same house with the same power source. I have to assume that the one that hums louder is due to the way the transformer is built and a filter network would not help much in this case. Granted, it always helps to have a cleaner source but it won't quiet the hum that much if at all.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

W

wanjeyin

Enthusiast
PENG said:
Again, we are not arguing, we are agreeing. I just want him to know that in case he might consider spending money (at least the shipping costs I guess even for a free trial) on some filters that can deal with d.c. offset issues, he need to find out if in fact power source is the problem.

I have a few gear, they behave from being almost silent, a little hum, to a louder hum. All in the same house with the same power source. I have to assume that the one that hums louder is due to the way the transformer is built and a filter network would not help much in this case. Granted, it always helps to have a cleaner source but it won't quiet the hum that much if at all.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.
That's a good point. When I went to the Future Shop where I bought the unit, I inquired about the problem. They had a working display model which too, had the exact kindtransformer hum once I had pressed my ear onto the subwoofer casing.

I do suspect that both the power source and transformer design are at fault here. Sure, there's probably DC in the line, but the design of the laminate transformer, especially of the mass of wires within, could have been better such that the hum can be minimized.

Don't get me wrong, the hum itself is audible within 3 feet of the unit and cannot otherwise be heard when music is playing. I think I would rather just save cash and go the silicone route. After all, I don't think it's worth shelling out the cash for the PS Audio unit considering that the sub (JBL e150p) is an entry level sub, and that it was purchased at less than half ($250 CDN) the price of a PS Audio UPC200HB ($500US).

It's nice to know that I have options.

Thanks!

Regards,
AJW

W

wanjeyin

Enthusiast
Also, I think there is some truth in the matter that probably transformers of some sorts produce hum to a certain extent. Although I didn't notice it at first, my laptop computer transformer does hum. The hum is so quiet, even in a silent room, that the only way you can hear it is if you put your ear to the transformer box.

AJW

Khorn

Khorn

Audioholic Intern
I've just had my power amp massively upgraded over the last year. One of the problems was the stock transformer in that unit was prone to hum. I had it replaced with two custom made transformers and the silence is truly amazing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis