• Tannoy Mercury 7.4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tekton Lore Reference

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I skipped the 15% Father's Day sale on the Q Acoustics because I was irked to see the British company was charging me IL state sales tax. I guess they have shipping centers in the US. So I went back to look at the Mission, and learned all the LX series are gone! I do like the looks of that QX-5, so I put it in the cart and with a 5% discount code (they send when you first sign up at their site), and international shipping, it's $1,239 USD. QX-4 is $1,017. Probably a good deal with that nice 12" side-firing sub, but more than I was planning to spend. OTOH I've had an additional 2+ months to save for this. Hrm.

But when at that price point, they also have Tannoy Revolution XT 6F, Dali Opticon 5 and a couple others. Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend Mk. II is also available again.
QA speakers ship out of Atlanta last time I checked. Did not know that they charge sales tax. Seems to becoming more of the norm nowadays. :)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I registered and didn't get a coupon code. :( I'm this close to buying those QX-5's too. The QX-2 review has me drooling at the possibility of that kind of sound complemented with hard-hitting bass.

I'll probably sell everything but the Canton's and move them to the living room and just do 2.1 or 3.1 for movies. Never listen to music in there anyway.
You might want to give them a call and see if they can correct that. If you register, then they offer a 10% off your first order. They are very nice people to deal with. I am certain it can be taken care of. Be sure to keep us posted once you get your new speakers. Great choice! :)

Cheers,

Phil

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well ain't this a Debbie Downer!
Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for your enquiry.

Unfortunately, we are not permitted to ship Mission products to the USA.

Let me know if I can interest you in anything else?

Kind regards,

Joe
Ugh! I finally find a pair of speakers that check off all the boxes and don't cost triple my mortgage, and I can't even get someone to take my money. :(

I'll email Mission directly before I give up all hope, but that really unmade my day.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
That is so strange, in April I communicated directly with them, and they said they could ship to me no problem. I'm worried that since I didn't pull the trigger then, I'll have a problem now.

Mission has an official U.S. distributor who's still setting up relationships with vendors. The price they quoted to me was about 50% more than the cost at Audio Affair, ugh.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

I went ahead and ordered it anyway, just for S&G. I'll see if I get lucky or they cancel it in the morning.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't heard any lately, but Mission has been making speakers for a long time. In the past, they were generally good speakers for the cost. I don't know what might have caused them to change their practices, but they used to be readily available in the USA!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Update, I just got an email from Audio Affair. I was expecting a canceled order, but it said the QX-5's are on 3 month backorder. So... now we wait!

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Dang. I was hoping to have something by next month. Psychologically, hard-to-get things makes one want them more I suppose ;)

I was chatting with the owner at Chicago Audio Exchange, who said they used to stock Mission speakers in the 90s. It's unclear why they let their U.S. distribution dry up. I know the 780 got the Product of the Year award at What Hi-Fi in 2000 and '01. I asked if he'd consider stocking them again and he rolled his eyes and said they're maxed out on space for any new lines of speakers. They have Monitor Audio, Klipsch, Goldenear, KEF, ELAC, McIntosh, Paradigm, PSB and Pioneer. Inventory just isn't moving that fast.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Based on having heard two different things from two different people at Audio Affair, plus them telling Bulbous they wouldn't ship Mission to the US, I went ahead and canceled my order. They charged my card at the time of order, and no point in paying interest on something that I either won't ever get or won't get until fall.

Leaning towards the Tyler Acoustics Halo 1 or Tektron Double Impact. Nowhere near the OP's budget I will keep an eye out for specials or B-stocks that get the cost closer to the $2k upper limit of my budget.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Yep, I had to admit defeat -- AA was willing to ship Mission in April but have since been told they're not allowed to. Yet the U.S. distributor has no plans to stock the QX series.

I pulled the trigger on Zu Audio's Omen Dirty Weekend Mk. II. While they have the basic Rustic Hickory $999 model with free shipping available now, I wanted the black finish, which will take up to a month to receive. The sale on this run ends July 4.

It's certainly a unique speaker with very specific appeal. I like it's high sensitivity and ability to be run well with small amps. Will report back when I've had a chance to listen for a bit!

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Leaning towards the Tyler Acoustics Halo 1 or Tektron Double Impact. Nowhere near the OP's budget I will keep an eye out for specials or B-stocks that get the cost closer to the $2k upper limit of my budget.
Tyler is another great internet direct place in Kentucky, You know that the Halo 2, at $1,800, exceeds the specs of the QX-5, getting down to 32Hz. However that Halo 1 is indeed enticing, with those double 12" woofers. Maybe because I haven't researched this range thoroughly, but there doesn't seem much that competes around its $2,600 pricepoint, other than the B&W 704 S2. Offerings tend to cluster at under $2k, then jump to $5k. Keep us posted what you get, or if you start a new thread :)

What I like about the Omen DW Mk. II is that it has the exact same specs as the Omen Mk. II, which goes for $2,250. They spec the value of DW at $1,699, so their $999 sale is a pretty sweet deal if the speaker checks your boxes. I heard the Druid Mk. VI and maybe the Soul Superfly last year and enjoyed what they did for rock, metal, reggae, stoner psych/doom.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The RBH and Tannoy models are available at newaudiovideo.com. It's new to me but seems similar to accessories4less. Is it not legit?

The Dali is available on Amazon US. Q Acoustics available direct at qacoustics.com with free shipping. Monitor seems widely popular in US, and is available at multiple dealers in my area, for example, Saturday Audio Exchange, where I auditioned them last weekend.

I have grown more skeptical of Tekton due to the hype regarding their bogus patent. But some people swear by them so I left it in.
I know it's an old-ish thread but as far as whether a seller is legit, check with the manufacturer- lots of things are advertised at abnormally low prices but not necessarily by dealers who aren't authorized by the manufacturer and that usually means the warranty is void.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
The poll is out of date, but I just completed the process and ordered my speakers. Others are free to chime in on their own experiences of course, but it was decided long ago that some people have been happy customers with Newaudiovideo, but they've also ripped others off, and are at best an ethically questionable place. For that reason I excluded them from my consideration.

mattlach

mattlach

Junior Audioholic
Some observations:
RBH R55Ti - no longer sold, replacement model is above your budget
Just because RBH has discontinued a speaker doesn't mean they no longer sell them. I emailed them and inquired about closeout speakers when I updated my HT system last April and wound up getting a phenomenal deal on two discontinued Signature Series SX6300 towers for only $800 each, as well as a discontinued 441-se center channel for only $300, and four discontinued 41-se bookshelves for $200 each. I have been VERY happy with these speakers.

The only difference between my sx6300's and their current sv6500's (which sell for $1750 per speaker) is the cabinet finish, and I actually like the older wood grain better than the newer shiny piano black finish.

Jayce Walker over at RBH was extremely helpful in his recommendations and help (I have an almost 100 email exchange with him, he was really great) and the experience was so good that I am now a sold fan of the RBH brand.

I guess I digressed a bit, but the point of this message is that if you have interest in something they have discontinued, send them an email and inquire. Maybe they have some leftover stock

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just because RBH has discontinued a speaker doesn't mean they no longer sell them. I emailed them and inquired about closeout speakers when I updated my HT system last April and wound up getting a phenomenal deal on two discontinued Signature Series SX6300 towers for only $800 each, as well as a discontinued 441-se center channel for only $300, and four discontinued 41-se bookshelves for $200 each. I have been VERY happy with these speakers.

The only difference between my sx6300's and their current sv6500's (which sell for $1750 per speaker) is the cabinet finish, and I actually like th eolder wood grain better than the newer shiny piano black finish.

Jayce Walker over at RBH was extremely helpful in his recommendations and help (I have a almost 100 email exchange with him, he was really great) and the experience was so good that I am now a sold fan of the RBH brand.

I guess I digressed a bit, but the point of this message is that if you have interest in something they have discontinued, send them an email and inquire. Maybe they have some leftover stock
Agreed, but mostly YMMV

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Wulp, I went and done did bought a pair of Revel F30's. Presuming they sound as good and have the bass impact that everybody says, I'm going to have to sell my Canton's. This isn't a hobby, it's a disease! :eek:

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Congrats. Are those the precursor to F35 or the Performa3 F208 (31Hz)? Did you get them used?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Congrats. Are those the precursor to F35 or the Performa3 F208 (31Hz)? Did you get them used?
The F30 and F208 are the same family tree, from what I've read. The F30's were first (10" woofer), then were replaced by the F32/F35 (dual or triple 6.5" woofers) and the current generation is the F208's with dual 8" bass.

They are early 2000's speakers, and I have nothing to go by but many great reviews, so I'm hoping for the best. I paid $1100, but almost 1/3rd of that was shipping! :confused: I'd have driven up to 6 hours 1-way to audition them and bring 'em home, but Idaho is a bit more than 6 hours from Virginia. Even at that price it's a good deal though. The only pair on ebay right now is $1800 shipped, and they have an unsightly finish (to my eyes anyway).

But I will have to promise my best half that I won't buy anymore speakers this year! When she sees two more giant boxes on the front porch, there's gonna be hell to pay. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The F30 and F208 are the same family tree, from what I've read. The F30's were first (10" woofer), then were replaced by the F32/F35 (dual or triple 6.5" woofers) and the current generation is the F208's with dual 8" bass.

They are early 2000's speakers, and I have nothing to go by but many great reviews, so I'm hoping for the best. I paid $1100, but almost 1/3rd of that was shipping! :confused: I'd have driven up to 6 hours 1-way to audition them and bring 'em home, but Idaho is a bit more than 6 hours from Virginia. Even at that price it's a good deal though. The only pair on ebay right now is $1800 shipped, and they have an unsightly finish (to my eyes anyway).

But I will have to promise my best half that I won't buy anymore speakers this year! When she sees two more giant boxes on the front porch, there's gonna be hell to pay. :D
Maybe buy her something nice so she won’t be as crazy. LOL. Congrats! :)

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Ah yes, back when I was shopping for my main speakers in 2006-07, I was looking at the Performa F32, which was about $3,000. Looks like F30 MSRP was $3,500. Nice 10" woofer, 33Hz, they should do the job for you! I would have considered them but I got a deal on Wharfedale Opus 3 (with two 10" woofers!) rated at 30Hz, originally $3,500 and I think I paid about $1,800.

Word on trouble with SO. Headphones are much easier to sneak in!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis