Total Recall (2012)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Would the disc just freeze and be choppy? I have gone through planet of apes and now x-men first class, and both get all choppy and scratchy? Not sure whats going on with these discs as they are mint. Thought it was my BD player at first but other discs play fine.
Is the firmware up to date on your player? That sounds like a decoding issue when it is newer movies and a somewhat older player. I didn't have any problems playing the rental, so it is not all players or maybe not all discs (or not the rentals).

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
hmm, i haven't done a update in a few years, ill have to look into that, thanks. The weird thing is, it will happen about every 30 min, and the only fix is to take disc out, turn off player, put disc back in, and search from scene through start menu as the resume playback will give the same choppy results.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Would the disc just freeze and be choppy? I have gone through planet of apes and now x-men first class, and both get all choppy and scratchy? Not sure whats going on with these discs as they are mint. Thought it was my BD player at first but other discs play fine.
The screen would just freeze. I had to push the fast forward button to get it to start playing again and the audio drop outs were noticeable. I've replaced it but have't watched the replaced copy. I updated the firmware on the Sony and am up to date so I know its not that.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I didn't have any freezing or anything, PQ was pretty good. AQ was pretty good, too, except for the drop outs.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It froze up and got real choppy for me, I could fix it by stopping and restarting it, but I kept having to do it so often that I just turned it off. I'll try watching it again in PCM to see if that makes a difference.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ripped Total Recall 2012 via DVDFab.

Played perfectly, no issues whatsoever.

Oh, and I liked this 2012 remake a lot better than the original Recall, which I already liked a lot. :D

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I just updated my PS3 (forgot I took it off the LAN) so this might solve my audio issue with this movie.
Don't think I'll rent it again just to find out though ...

Steve

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I exchanged this BluRay three times now and every one freezes at the beginning of chapter 9. Has anyone else run into this problem? Who can I contact to see what my options are? This is the first Bluray I've encountered with this kind of issue. Everything else I owned play flawlessly. It really sucks because this flick is so much better in every conceivable way than the Arnold's version. I checked my firmware levels on my Sony BDP S360 and I am up to date.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I checked my firmware levels on my Sony BDP S360 and I am up to date.
Can you email Sony support to see if they have an answer?

Might also want to take a look at the date on the last firmware update for that unit was. I know my PS3 had issues, first I've ever seen with a movie but haven't rented it again to see if its fixed now and the firmware wasn't too out of date at that time.

Steve

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It really sucks because this flick is so much better in every conceivable way than the Arnold's version. I checked my firmware levels on my Sony BDP S360 and I am up to date.
I think the problem lies here. The latest firmware may have had some quality control code that also inadvertently leaked into content allowance as well as technical tolerance levels. If the program finds that the content is below a certain level of quality, it will freeze the playback at the point where content dips below acceptable levels. In other words, your blu ray player has better taste than you and is doing you a favor. Trust your blu ray player 3db, it was made to superb engineering standards with an impeccable software set, and these advanced features were implemented to improve your devices usefulness in more ways than you might realize.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Too funny. :D However, in my defense in preference of this version over the Arnold version,... ;)

1.) This flick has both Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Beal as actress, both hotter than anything that appeared in Arnold's version.
2.) Arnold CAN"T act worth a dam.
3.) The level of detail that went into this flick is amazing and doesn't look like a 3rd rate movie set.

That being said, there is clearly a flaw in the release of this BluRay. What recourse does a person have if teh studios f'ed up the rendering like they did?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The recourse is either get a refund or get another blu ray player. It sounds like your blu ray player simply has an incompatibility with that disc. If you are desperate you might try an older firmware version, that sort of thing sometimes works with computer hardware. Anyway, I'll take a Rachel Ticotin and Sharon Stone in their prime over the wooden Beckinsale and bland Jessica Beal any day. And while the older TR may not have sophisticated modern effects, it has CAJONES, as in lots of salty language, bloody gorey deaths, and no cop outs on bare breasts. However, I won't argue about Arnold's acting for the most part, but I do think he is a competent character actor and not without a certain charisma. Fine for a action movie, but don't cast him as Hamlet.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Putting the movie aside since we are never going to agree.....I find it strange that this flick hangs on the exact same place from disc to disc, chapter 9...not mention the audio drop outs that exist through out the film.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
For those of you who have a bad bluray version of Total Recall....... go here... Total Recall 2012 BD Disc Exchange Program - Blu-ray Forum

From this thread....

Dear Valued Consumer,

We apologize for any inconvenience regarding the sound quality with the release of Total Recall Bluray disk. We are currently in the process of re-producing Bluray disks that will not have these sound issues.

There is a work around available for your current disk. The best way to work around this issue is change your audio output settings on your Blu-ray player. You should be able to change your player's output from "Bitstream" to "PCM". Each player is going to be a little different, but this can typically be done in the player's menu or settings. If you have any questions on this process for your player, please contact the manufacturer of your player.

If adjusting you audio settings does not work, Sony will be offering an exchange for your current disk with the new re-mastered disk. To receive a replacement disk please reply with:

The UPC number from the case:

Your Name:

Address (No PO's):

Contact Phone Number:

You will then receive an email with instructions to return your disk to us.

The exchange process can take 3 to 5 weeks (or longer depending on the date the replacements are available).

Regards,

Consumer Affairs
consumer@sphecustomersupport.sony.com
800-860-2878

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
(i didn't read the whole thread)

i watched this last night. i think its a pretty good movie. though it did seem to get a little drawn out = perhaps that was me.
the audio and video were pretty good. and i had no issues playing it.

and i do agree with "hollywood running out of ideas". i have been saying that for years.

the new(to me) TRON is for tonight.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I did some more research tonight on Total Recall (2012) and I'm glad I did. There is definately an authoring problem with this Blu Ray. From this link I found the work around for my player. However, it lists a few players (including Oppo) with the problem so I have cut pasted the workarounds for all of them.
Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: total recall 2012 blu ray defect

The downside is this;

PCM 96 kHz and PCM 192 kHz audio signals are

output as PCM 48 kHz audio signals when “BD
Audio Setting” is set to “Mix.”

PS3 Slim - From PS3 crossbar, go to:

1.Settings
2.Video Settings
3.BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)
4.Change to Linear PCM

Sony BDP-S360 / Sony BDP-S460 / Sony BDP-S560 - From player crossbar, go to:

1.Setup
2.Audio Settings
3.BD Audio Setting
4.Change to Mix

Sony 790 - From player crossbar, go to:

1.Setup
2.Audio Setting
3.BD Audio Mix Setting
4.Change to On

Oppo BDP-83 / Oppo BDP-93

1.Goto Setup
2.Audio Format Setup
3.HDMI Audio
4.Select LPCM

LG 370
1.Goto Setup
2.Audio
3.HDMI
4.Select PCM Multi-Ch

Panasonic BD-35 / Panasonic BD-55
1.Goto Setup
2.Audio
3.Digital Audio Ouput
4.Dolby Digital / Dolby Digital + / Dolby TrueHD
5.Select PCM

Panasonic BD-110
1.Goto Setup
2.Player Settings
3.Audio
4.Digital Audio Ouput
5.Dolby Digital / Dolby Digital + / Dolby TrueHD
6.Select PCM

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Like I said, I played it on my Oppo83SE and had no sound issues via analog.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Like I said, I played it on my Oppo83SE and had no sound issues via analog.
I'm trying to figure out the point of your response. Your model wasn't listed. I'm glad it worked for you but it didn't for others. That's why I posted the work arounds because it does not work for others.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis