Top 5(10) DVDs to challenge new system

H

HTnewbie

Junior Audioholic
Finally getting around to set up a new HT in our new home. I have purchased many of our favorite movies & show compilation on DVD over the years but have mostly watched them on older 27-30" CRTs or on a circa 1994 RCA 60" RPTV (don't laugh, cutting edge back then and it still works well for the kids).

Anyway, wondering what would be your list of best DVDs to challenge and/or showcase the audio and video of a new system?

Also, what calibration disks (audio or video) would you not be without?

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
I'll throw out my choices:

1. Master & Commander
2. U 571
3. Spiderman 2 - SuperBit
4. Throw in some Pixar movies
5. All the Star Wars movies

Hard to limit to 5

H

HTnewbie

Junior Audioholic
Love M&C but on 27" CRT with internal speakers it should be criminal.

U571 - the latest version?

No LoTR?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
1. for seperation across the front- the A10 napalm attack in Courage Under Fire (the F18 missing man flyover at the end is really good too)
2. for seperation front to back- Pale Rider. Michael Moriarity digs in with a shovel at front left, and you hear the dirt hit behind you right rear
3. for really cool action, StarGate. The first flyer attack scene is pretty awesome. It also takes a really good system to make James Spader sound like much more than just mumble..
4. Highlander (TV series) season 4, show 1. the vocalist on the song in the middle of the show is incredible
5. any of the Mortal Combat movies (stupid yes, but they put alot of effort into the sound)

B

big deal

Enthusiast
We Were Soldiers is one of my favotires to test with. The scene where they are calling in air strikes and taking heavy fire will give your system a workout. The Matrix trilogy does a good job as well.

C

clt1bkc

Enthusiast
Pearl Harbor Chapter 24 the planes fill like they are flying over your head. From the back to the front of the speakers. The bass blowing up the ships is great. I use this DVD and chapter to show why I don't go to the movies anymore! :)

J

jordanny

Enthusiast
Try 'Independence Day'. The scene where the alien spaceship's shadow moves across the moon made my huge clock fall off the wall, hit my mantle, flip over and land on the floor! All I could say was "Cool..." :D

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Unforgiven, the Clint Eastwood film, has very clear & concise surround effects and some very cool thunderstorm sounds. The Extended Directors Cuts of the entire LotR trilogy is phenomenal sounding, too. The Red Violin sports a superb sounding soundtrack, much of it played by Joshua Bell. Jason X is a fun slasher/comedy with some eyesocket-rattling bass. Master & Commander: On the Far Side of the World is a fine film with a great soundtrack, and The 13th Warrior also has a fantastic soundstage with great effects.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
My pics

I just watched King Arthur (2004) last night and I must say that the film will soon become a classic. (A very new and possible "true/historical" origin of Arthur. The battle scenes are wonderful and on a system that is set up good the audio was great.

5th Element

Matrix (first one) Lobby scene

M&C

Band of Brothers

13th. Warrior

Hero

The Blind Swordsman (just a good, fun movie)

Ronin

Kill Bill V.1

And another few just for fun: Bubba Ho-Tep....If you haven't seen it...go rent it! Boondock Saints, Big Fish

That's my $0.02

J

Jota

Audiophyte
HTnewbie said:
Finally getting around to set up a new HT in our new home. I have purchased many of our favorite movies & show compilation on DVD over the years but have mostly watched them on older 27-30" CRTs or on a circa 1994 RCA 60" RPTV (don't laugh, cutting edge back then and it still works well for the kids).

Anyway, wondering what would be your list of best DVDs to challenge and/or showcase the audio and video of a new system?

Also, what calibration disks (audio or video) would you not be without?
#1. Underworld (DTS version is awesome and Dolby Digital is still excellent)
#2. Lotr The Two Towers

;)

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
Highlander the Series

Leprkon said:
]
4. Highlander (TV series) season 4, show 1. the vocalist on the song in the middle of the show is incredible
Another HLTS fan? I've been delaying purchasing the DVDs because I blew so much $$ on the videos ... but I love the show!

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Zarg said:
Another HLTS fan? I've been delaying purchasing the DVDs because I blew so much $$ on the videos ... but I love the show!
I'd say it was much better than the movies but that would still be very faint praise... I liked it alot more than X-files, but then I work for the Government so I'm not much of a Chris Carter fan ;) .. One more season still to get. :)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Leprkon said:
I'd say it was much better than the movies but that would still be very faint praise... I liked it alot more than X-files, but then I work for the Government so I'm not much of a Chris Carter fan ;) .. One more season still to get. :)
Hey, now! :mad: You can diss the sequels, but the original rocked! No way the series can touch that! :D

I've succeeded in blotting out the memory of #2 & #4, though! :p

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Rob Babcock said:
Hey, now! :mad: You can diss the sequels, but the original rocked! No way the series can touch that! :D

I've succeeded in blotting out the memory of #2 & #4, though! :p
Consider the sequels dissed... :p

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

You gotta love the first one. You have a french actor playing a scotsman, a Scottish actor playing an Egyptian/Spaniard and an American playing a Russian! :p The Queen soundtrack puts it over the top!

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
JohnA said:
I just watched King Arthur (2004) last night and I must say that the film will soon become a classic. (A very new and possible "true/historical" origin of Arthur. The battle scenes are wonderful and on a system that is set up good the audio was great.
$0.02
It surprised me how many people who loved Excalibur didn't like this movie. I personally thought it was pretty much equal to Excalibur as a movie (since I wasn't there and don't know which version was real- Gene can ya fill us in ?? :p ) and was far better than other period films like Gladiator and the Patriot.

The ice cracking scene in particular has some awesome sound.

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
Whatever You Say, Boss. You're the Master Race.

Rob Babcock said:
You gotta love the first one. You have a french actor playing a scotsman, a Scottish actor playing an Egyptian/Spaniard and an American playing a Russian! :p The Queen soundtrack puts it over the top!
Highlander #1 is a totally fun movie. I still watch it! I was a nut for the series, however. While at times uneven and wooden, it still offered some great character continuity. If folks are into TV series DVDs, I would recommend HLTS.

But I'd recommend Babylon 5 even more. :D

Regards!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Zarg said:
Highlander #1 is a totally fun movie. I still watch it! I was a nut for the series, however. While at times uneven and wooden, it still offered some great character continuity. If folks are into TV series DVDs, I would recommend HLTS.

But I'd recommend Babylon 5 even more. :D

Regards!
Hey! Have you been rumaging around in my movie rack!? :p

J

jmgillespie

Junior Audioholic
A few favorites: Man on Fire, Resident Evil, Equilibrium, Fight Club, Kill Bill (really anything by QT). Oh ya and of course Saving Private Ryan.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis