Tool's New Album, Finally!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Awwww man...

I had fun watching this jazz drummer's reaction to the video. It's a much better reaction vid than the Lars one I posted the other day.

There are more breakdowns on YT about it I haven't seen yet, but will be checking out. We couldn't ask for much more as drummer's here!
Damn it!!! I was gonna post the Vic Firth vid for you. And the jazz guy. Pretty amazing.

I saw another reaction video where the idiot reacting was talking about the subdivision breakdown intro rolls on the pad like, I don’t even know what he’s doing, I think he’s just doing crazy rolls... wanted to hit him.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have to say that like you, Danny is possibly my favorite drummer. Hard to pick just one though as at least a dozen more come to mind. I was gonna ask you if you’ve ever looked at Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree. He’ll mess up your mind in the same way as Danny does with time sigs and limb independence. Doesn’t hit as hard but amazing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have to say that like you, Danny is possibly my favorite drummer. Hard to pick just one though as at least a dozen more come to mind. I was gonna ask you if you’ve ever looked at Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree. He’ll mess up your mind in the same way as Danny does with time sigs and limb independence. Doesn’t hit as hard but amazing.
@lovinthehd suggested them for me once and I gave them ago. He's clearly up there with some of the greats but I'm having trouble getting into their music. I can listen to them and admire what he's doing but it's more analytical marveling than enjoying the music.

I'm so hard to please, there are quite a few elements that have to go into music for it to really grab me. There's stuff I used to love when I was younger that I can barely listen to anymore because so much is lacking that I was unaware of before I learned how to play and heard better production values.

A li'l off topic, but it just popped into my head, ever heard of Fred Green? They were a flash in the pan popular group around here a while back and have a few cd's out. The drummer is also the singer. He's not a polyrythmic odd time sig virtuoso but I think his playing is just... tasty. So funky. Curious what you think. This is one of my favorite songs they do.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@lovinthehd suggested them for me once and I gave them ago. He's clearly up there with some of the greats but I'm having trouble getting into their music. I can listen to them and admire what he's doing but it's more analytical marveling than enjoying the music.

I'm so hard to please, there are quite a few elements that have to go into music for it to really grab me. There's stuff I used to love when I was younger that I can barely listen to anymore because so much is lacking that I was unaware of before I learned how to play and heard better production values.

A li'l off topic, but it just popped into my head, ever heard of Fred Green? They were a flash in the pan popular group around here a while back and have a few cd's out. The drummer is also the singer. He's not a polyrythmic odd time sig virtuoso but I think his playing is just... tasty. So funky. Curious what you think. This is one of my favorite songs they do.

Checking out now...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Checking out now...
Oh yes!!! I do recall this. Iirc, you put it up awhile back and I thought immediately of Primus. Pretty cool regardless. Singing and playing drums is a different world. Harder for me is playing guitar and singing, which I can do, but takes much more focus lol.

I hear what your saying about PT being a little hard to take. Did you ever look at any of Gavins solos or clinics?
Ray is another guy that’s fun to watch.

There’s others of him too doing this medley. Always tight AF.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I remember you mentioning Fred Green before and gave them a try at the time but like Porcupine Tree for you, it didn't stick with me. May have to revisit altho I don't usually concentrate on the drumming....more a bass guy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I remember you mentioning Fred Green before and gave them a try at the time but like Porcupine Tree for you, it didn't stick with me. May have to revisit altho I don't usually concentrate on the drumming....more a bass guy.
I like the whole album that song comes from "Dillywagon". A friend of mine who knew the band gave me the cd. I dug around and found some of their other stuff and... no thanks, lol. Dillywagon is pretty good tho.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe a little OT but this was literally just on. Not complex, but really nice vibe.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The In Absentia album is one of my favorites. I've wanted the multich version but its pricey! :)
Yes it is. I’d like get some of Stevens other MCH works too, but damn, I need another job!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I did let autoplay pull me into 4 more from the same album. Has a mellower feel than some of their earlier stuff (at least what I've heard, which isn't a lot). Kinda hypnotic, like Pink Floyd.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I always thought some of Porcupine Tree was like if Tool and Pink Floyd had a baby.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Danny is my favorite just because of the crazy way he plays. Not many can replicate what he does.

Having said that, some true heavy metal drummers are absolutely crazy bad ass, but Danny's just different. What he does is just much more deliberate than being an in your face drummer like Vinnie Paul and the like.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Danny is my favorite just because of the crazy way he plays. Not many can replicate what he does.

Having said that, some true heavy metal drummers are absolutely crazy bad ass, but Danny's just different. What he does is just much more deliberate than being an in your face drummer like Vinnie Paul and the like.
Well said. And to that point, I don’t think he’d be great in Iron Maiden, or STP etc.

Also to your point, one of my other favorites is Jimmy Sullivan(the rev). Just always had a unique way of approaching his instrument. Sorely missed.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure when they added it but today I noticed on the amazon music app, they added the Tool videos. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure when they added it but today I noticed on the amazon music app, they added the Tool videos. :)
Eh? Videos in the music app? What is this sorcery you speak of? I don't have my unlimited anymore...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Eh? Videos in the music app? What is this sorcery you speak of? I don't have my unlimited anymore...
Ya Amazon started adding music videos and documentaries a few months ago I think. There was very little content back then but they keep adding more and more.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ya Amazon started adding music videos and documentaries a few months ago I think. There was very little content back then but they keep adding more and more.
Really? I had no idea. I'm gonna go check that out!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well crap. I guess I need to re-up my sub for the good TOOL stuff. Are they videos we've pretty much all seen or do they have some stuff from the new album?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis