Tool's New Album, Finally!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Right, the digital dl is 320kbs mp3 and a lossless (FLAC or WAV) rip is 16/44, which is better. How much of a difference you can hear between the 2 (lossless or 320kbs mp3) is very debatable. I'd say the better your hearing the more likely you can tell a difference.
Mp3s are compressed into much smaller files and WAV files are bit for bit, from what I understand. I rip all my stuff to FLAC files, which is somehow compressed but still lossless on playback. I kinda get how it works, but don't want to attempt to explain it, lol. FLAC files use a little less space than WAV and are just as good so that's the format I use.
So my new laptop has no cd rom so looks like a dead end unless I buy one. Sounds like it would be worth it to get one though. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So my new laptop has no cd rom so looks like a dead end unless I buy one. Sounds like it would be worth it to get one though. :)
I was disappointed when bluray drives stopped coming on laptops, but I at least require an optical drive that can handle cd/dvd on my laptops. So you were loading cd's into iTunes how before? ALAC is Apple's lossless format similar to FLAC (but of course less useful outside the apple universe).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I was disappointed when bluray drives stopped coming on laptops, but I at least require an optical drive that can handle cd/dvd on my laptops. So you were loading cd's into iTunes how before? ALAC is Apple's lossless format similar to FLAC (but of course less useful outside the apple universe).
My previous laptop had a cd drive. I hadn’t copied to iTunes in a few years. I got back into music listening again just the past couple years. My iTunes library is songs from at least 15 years ago. LOL. :)

I now use Unlimited Amazon Music HD and Pandora Plus subscriptions. iPhone and Apple TV 4K and Firestick 4K. I try to only buy discs with 5.1 or something that I can’t get on Amazon. I don’t use iTunes anymore. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My previous laptop had a cd drive. I hadn’t copied to iTunes in a few years. I got back into music listening again just the past couple years. My iTunes library is songs from at least 15 years ago. LOL. :)

I now use Unlimited Amazon Music HD and Pandora Plus subscriptions. iPhone and Apple TV 4K and Firestick 4K. I try to only buy discs with 5.1 or something that I can’t get on Amazon. I don’t use iTunes anymore. :)
I got rid of iTunes a while back, just caused problems with my rips. I use streaming services (spotify and pandora mostly so far, have tried qobuz and tidal but not yet Amazon's "HD" service) but largely rely on my ripped cds for playback of cd content (rather than the disc itself). Relying on the internet doesn't work for me necessarily, have really poor ISP/service (old slow copper dsl). I don't listen to much in the way of new releases....my library ranges quite a bit of time, but with little from the newest end.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's a cool interview with Adam Jones. He actually gives some props and gratitude for the fans and talks a little bit about writing songs with "the best drummer on the planet". Oh Adam, you're so right. It's pretty cool to hear a great drummer get some well deserved love too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So poges...
I had a little time while cooking supper.
I had some fun with CCT. Tried 3 different ways. “Pure direct”, stereo, and full 7.3.4 with DSU.
Direct was fun and sounds wrapped around me well to the sides(intro before drums roll in). Stereo was much better. I have 5, 12” drivers in my system and the dynamics were awesome. Pretty much same wrap around effects etc.
DSU takes the effects and sends them all around my room it is awesome! Downside is that it can get a little congested sounding with all the floor/KK triplets and stuff. Still, too much fun. Direct kinda reminded me of playing with my in ears. But it sounded like Danny’s kit!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So poges...
I had a little time while cooking supper.
I had some fun with CCT. Tried 3 different ways. “Pure direct”, stereo, and full 7.3.4 with DSU.
Direct was fun and sounds wrapped around me well to the sides(intro before drums roll in). Stereo was much better. I have 12” drivers in my system and the dynamics were awesome. Pretty much same wrap around effects etc.
DSU takes the effects and sends them all around my room it is awesome! Downside is that it can get a little congested sounding with all the floor/KK triplets and stuff. Still, too much fun. Direct kinda reminded me of playing with my in ears. But it sounded like Danny’s kit!!!!!!!!
I've tried it every way I can think of with 5 different sets of speakers (literally!), ha ha!

But yeah, I get the same wrap around effect in direct and stereo. Stereo does sound better (with subs) for sure. Full range in stereo, Audyssey neuters my towers' bass but in direct they dig plenty deep and I get some really good chest thump. Haven't tried any DTS modes yet, but I had a similar experience to yours in 5.2 Dolby surround. There were sounds coming from all over the place, lol.

I can't stop myself from turning that track up almost every. Single. Time. I swear some of his toms sound like they're in the room with us at volume. The kick sounds surprisingly realistic too! Just ask my wife... ha ha.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
CCT has become my go to track for soundstage when testing out speakers. As you've said it really does have sound coming way outside the speakers and will go all the way across the soundstage one drum beat at a time.

In other news, I preordered this for $28 since the cd itself is still more than that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
CCT has become my go to track for soundstage when testing out speakers. As you've said it really does have sound coming way outside the speakers and will go all the way across the soundstage one drum beat at a time.

In other news, I preordered this for $28 since the cd itself is still more than that.
Might be the best deal. I'd be good with a simple plain cd for about half that. What do they think they're selling, vinyl? :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Very cool. I did see they were selling again.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Finally got my copy of this last Friday. Been listening to it as I rip my wife's CD's. I now remember why I was so reluctant to go through and rip her music. She was not gentle to her CD's. There are some that I haven't been able to rip because they're so scratched up and even refinishing them doesn't help much.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep got my copy of Fear Inoculum the other day, too. Better not be available for less any time soon! :)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
The price is absurd and really turns me off of a band I really like.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Welp, they got a Grammy for best metal performance. Pretty cool. Danny is an awkward dude.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Awwww man...

I had fun watching this jazz drummer's reaction to the video. It's a much better reaction vid than the Lars one I posted the other day.

There are more breakdowns on YT about it I haven't seen yet, but will be checking out. We couldn't ask for much more as drummer's here!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis