Tom Turkey Has Been Fired!

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Whoa, here's something:

"Don’t wash raw turkey before preparing it. This may spread any germs on the turkey around your kitchen. Instead, open the plastic wrap carefully and drain any liquid into the sink before discarding the wrapper. Pat the turkey dry, inside and out, with paper towels."

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Whoa, here's something:

"Don’t wash raw turkey before preparing it. This may spread any germs on the turkey around your kitchen. Instead, open the plastic wrap carefully and drain any liquid into the sink before discarding the wrapper. Pat the turkey dry, inside and out, with paper towels."
Oops I washed it then pat it dry w/paper towels. Oh well, we all live and learn. Thanks for sharing! :)

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Excellent post Johnny. Lots of good info here. People need to pay more attention to things like this. In addition to the above info, be aware of the problems with romain lettuce nation wide. Personally, I have been avoiding lettuce and salads altogether. Now it looks like turkey will join my list of foods to avoid. :(

Cheers,

Phil
Its not the Turkey. The symptoms came too soon. The only food poisoning that comes on that fast is from a toxin. Toxic food poisoning comes on fast and leaves fast. Your symptoms have lasted too long for toxic food poisoning.

I suspect you have bacterial food poisoning, but it could be something else. No bacteria reproduce in the gut that fast, so the culprit is what you ate 36 to 48 hours previously and may be longer. People always think it is the last thing they ate but it never is, unless it is toxic food poisoning which is not common.

From your symptoms the most likely culprit is Camphylobacter Jejeuni.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Its not the Turkey. The symptoms came too soon. The only food poisoning that comes on that fast is from a toxin. Toxic food poisoning comes on fast and leaves fast. Your symptoms have lasted too long for toxic food poisoning.

I suspect you have bacterial food poisoning, but it could be something else. No bacteria reproduce in the gut that fast, so the culprit is what you ate 36 to 48 hours previously and may be longer. People always think it is the last thing they ate but it never is, unless it is toxic food poisoning which is not common.

From your symptoms the most likely culprit is Camphylobacter Jejeuni.
Well, I tried to get into to see my PCP, but he was over booked as it is. So, I went to a new local clinic. The nurse practitioner ordered an X-Ray of my abdomen and was told that I was a bit backed up. She then ordered me some polyethylene glycol. Had to take my lab sample back to the clinic yesterday afternoon. Still waiting for the results. They did call me and said something that the Radiologist found something and they will get back to me when the lab result comes in. I am to go back tomorrow if I am not better and they plan to do a CT scan. I was also placed on bland diet.

Here is what my papers say about the lab tests:

Clostridium diff eval w/Fecal Leukocytes

Culture Stool

Ova and parasites (stool)

I was fine until I ate the wings. If it was not the wings, then I have no idea what it was. Either way, it has been an ordeal that I will certainly remember. Honestly, it has been more of a nightmare. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Did anyone else get sick or do you live alone? Did anyone else eat the wings?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Did anyone else get sick or do you live alone? Did anyone else eat the wings?
No, I live alone. I ate (3) of the wings. Then later, I threw the other (3) away. My appetite has not been the best lately even before eating the wings. Maybe just a case of bad luck. Who really knows.

Cheers,

Phil

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Glad your moving past it anyways. Sickness of any kind sucks but food related sickness is the worst!

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Whoa, here's something:

It was always my understanding the leading cause of salmonella poisoning was from it being spread to other foods while preparing. Most notably to the salad, which isn't cooked.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Did you make sure your turkey reached 165 degrees in the turkey center? Turkeys can be difficult to cook well, because they are so big. You need to get them hot enough to kill off harmful bacteria all the way through, but you also have to keep them moist or else else they aren't all that appetizing, and over-cooking them kills the moistness. It's difficult to cook a turkey well, but when prepared correctly, it is delicious.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
This thread is interesting to me because I love turkey too.

Over the years, I have bought a lot of 'Jennie-O' raw ground turkey for turkey burgers or cooked it and added it to salads. I have never had a problem, but I noticed that this company had a huge recall just a few weeks ago. Yikes. :eek:

https://www.jennieo.com/content/ground-turkey-recall

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Did you make sure your turkey reached 165 degrees in the turkey center? Turkeys can be difficult to cook well, because they are so big. You need to get them hot enough to kill off harmful bacteria all the way through, but you also have to keep them moist or else else they aren't all that appetizing, and over-cooking them kills the moistness. It's difficult to cook a turkey well, but when prepared correctly, it is delicious.
I only cooked (6) wings. They came in 2-packages of three wings each. I ate (3) wings only. I did not check the temp on the wings. But, they cooked for 2-hours which is what was directed. After cooking, I let them cool a bit then I ate (3) of them. About thirty minutes later I put the other (3) wings into one of my plastic containers and into the refrigerator. From there they went into my garbage. Really have not eat much sense. Very bland foods is all.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
This thread is interesting to me because I love turkey too.

Over the years, I have bought a lot of 'Jennie-O' raw ground turkey for turkey burgers or cooked it and added it to salads. I have never had a problem, but I noticed that this company had a huge recall just a few weeks ago. Yikes. :eek:

https://www.jennieo.com/content/ground-turkey-recall
Yeah, you and yours may have dodged a bullet literally speaking. It is a good thing that you all did. This has been a total nightmare for me.

Cheers,

Phil

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
To add on, this is a reason to insure any meet you cook is completely thawed out before cooking. While I know the culprit here are turkey legs, a big turkey can be near room temp on the outside and still frozen in the middle.

I think we've all gotten sick eating... I feel your pain!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
To add on, this is a reason to insure any meet you cook is completely thawed out before cooking. While I know the culprit here are turkey legs, a big turkey can be near room temp on the outside and still frozen in the middle.

I think we've all gotten sick eating... I feel your pain!
It is looking like I broke most of the rules. Usually I am extra careful when I am cooking. Guess I really dropped the ball this time. But Tom Turkey still has to go! :p

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It is looking like I broke most of the rules. Usually I am extra careful when I am cooking. Guess I really dropped the ball this time. But Tom Turkey still has to go! :p

Cheers,

Phil
It's not the Turkey for certain. That is quite impossible.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I've been avoiding salads my entire life! :cool:
Had a buddy, his line was "I don't eat vegetables, I eat things that eat vegetables"

" ... After cooling down a bit, I ate (3) of them. About an hour after doing so I became very nauseous ..."

If it were food poisoning from samonella, symptoms would take more than an hour to develop, more like a day and sometimes more than one day ... up to 10 days in some cases, and with certain foodborne pathogens symptoms can first show up even months later.

The only foodborne illness causing bacteria I know of which can cause symptoms in half an hour to maybe six hours is Staphylococcus aureus ("Staph"). Generally caused by improper storage (not cold enough) or cooking (not hot enough). Staph is everywhere, and some people are far more sensitive to Staph infection than others.

I forget the actual stat, but something like 80 or 90% of all food illness is something the consumer did, not something that came with the food at the supermarket. Be careful about washing hands, cross contamination, temperatures, etc.

There is quite a bit more to the whole subject, anyone interested there is good information from Government sources, even the company that provides you with electricity or natural gas might have useful information on food safety.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It's not the Turkey for certain. That is quite impossible.
Well, you are the Doc. However, after doing a little reading on my own I think what I have is a staph infection. This is due to the time frame and the symptoms I have had. The first was nausea--followed by severe stomach discomfort. The severe stomach pain came the next day. I also had blood in my stool. Lots of it. (Sorry, but this comes w/the territory).

I never threw up as I am NOT a throw up person. Nor did I have hardly any diarrhea. Everything seems to be back in order now. Just wanted to share my experience for anyone here that may be going through it himself. Lastly, antibiotics are not recommended for such an infection. Here is some info for those that may be interested:

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/diseases/staphylococcal.html

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Had a buddy, his line was "I don't eat vegetables, I eat things that eat vegetables"

" ... After cooling down a bit, I ate (3) of them. About an hour after doing so I became very nauseous ..."

If it were food poisoning from samonella, symptoms would take more than an hour to develop, more like a day and sometimes more than one day ... up to 10 days in some cases, and with certain foodborne pathogens symptoms can first show up even months later.

The only foodborne illness causing bacteria I know of which can cause symptoms in half an hour to maybe six hours is Staphylococcus aureus ("Staph"). Generally caused by improper storage (not cold enough) or cooking (not hot enough). Staph is everywhere, and some people are far more sensitive to Staph infection than others.

I forget the actual stat, but something like 80 or 90% of all food illness is something the consumer did, not something that came with the food at the supermarket. Be careful about washing hands, cross contamination, temperatures, etc.

There is quite a bit more to the whole subject, anyone interested there is good information from Government sources, even the company that provides you with electricity or natural gas might have useful information on food safety.
Johnny, I think it was staph. See my post above w/link. Feeling much better this morning. So, if it wasn't the turkey wings, then I have no idea what it was.:confused:

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis