Tom Turkey Has Been Fired!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, on Thanksgiving day I cooked (6) turkey wings. I thawed them and washed them. Then, I prepped them and put them into my oven. They cooked for 2-hours and looked much better than I thought they would. After cooling down a bit, I ate (3) of them. About an hour after doing so I became very nauseous. My stomach was over active. However, I never did throw up nor any real bathroom issues.

On Friday I felt a little better, but did not eat much at all. But, it was not long my stomach was once again was not settled. I was even having some pain. Then, had some blood in my stool. Basically, I just went to bed early and tried to sleep it off. Come Saturday I felt a bit better. Ran a million and one errands for my Philippine sister. We had a good dinner, but once again I did not eat much. Nor did I eat any turkey. Once I got home later that evening my stomach was unsettled yet again.

On Sunday, my older Bro brought me a plate of food. Did not eat much of it at all. Most went into the trash. Later that after noon I had severe pain in my stomach. The nausea was back and I said that is it. Went and got seen. Come to find out they believe it was the wings. Had an X-Ray, have to give a stool sample and go back Wednesday for a CT scan. As such, I am totally done with Turkey. Will stick to ham for now on. What an ordeal! One I do not wish on anyone.:(

Cheers,

Phil

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
speakerman39, I am really sorry.

Do you think it is salmonella poisoning?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
speakerman39, I am really sorry.

Do you think it is salmonella poisoning?
Thanks man. Ummm the doctor mentioned several different types of bacterial infections. Once I submit the lab sample, they will let me know and order some antibiotics. Also have to have a CT scan. Appreciate your kind words. But, Tom turkey is hitting the road! :(

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
This will ruin turkey for you forever. I once got food poisoning from pork chops at a tail gate party (my dad says it was the alcohol),but to this day I still cant eat pork chops. I was throwing up for 3 days. So was my wife. Alcohol doesnt do that to us.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Thanks man. Ummm the doctor mentioned several different types of bacterial infections. Once I submit the stool sample, they will let me know and order some antibiotics. Also have to have a CT scan. Appreciate your kind words. But, Tom turkey is hitting the road! :(

Cheers,

Phil
All the best to you! I wish you a fast recovery!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
This will ruin turkey for you forever. I once got food poisoning from pork chops at a tail gate party (my dad says it was the alcohol),but to this day I still cant eat pork chops. I was throwing up for 3 days. So was my wife. Alcohol doesnt do that to us.
Yeah, right now turkey is the last thing on my list of foods to eat. Honestly, I loved turkey until this happened. Was told a food born illness will have to run its course. Just be glad when that part is over. Sticking w/ham for now on. The wings are the only turkey I have eaten. Not eat much of anything else.

Cheers,

Phil

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Once when I was in Hawaii, I got sick on some ice cream, we all did. I mean really sick, I won't go into the details, but you can figure it out. There were severe stomach pains as well.

We didn't see a doctor, but we probably should have.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Once when I was in Hawaii, I got sick on some ice cream, we all did. I mean really sick, I won't go into the details, but you can figure it out. There were severe stomach pains as well.

We didn't see a doctor, but we probably should have.
It sounds similar to what I have been going through. I did not want to go get seen for it. But, since it has been going on since last Thursday decided to go. Good thing that I did b/c the doctor said it could get worse. The stomach pain is unbearable. Weird things is my blood sugar has been very good this entire time. It is a good thing that I did not over eat.

Cheers,

Phil

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I dodged a bullet. I had been sick for several days leading up to Thanksgiving. Out of my 4 day weekend I was sick the first 2 days. Luckily by Thursday I started feeling good and enjoyed the meal.

America needs to stop wasting money on stupid things and start curing diseases!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I dodged a bullet. I had been sick for several days leading up to Thanksgiving. Out of my 4 day weekend I was sick the first 2 days. Luckily by Thursday I started feeling good and enjoyed the meal.

America needs to stop wasting money on stupid things and start curing diseases!
Glad that you was able to enjoy the holiday meal. In spite of what I have been through, I still have had a good Thanksgiving. To me, it is more about visiting w/family than it is eating a big meal. I actually got to spend some good quality time with both my Philippine family and my older Bro. My younger Bro had to work. Hope to see him at Christmas! Rest assured, it will be ham and NOT turkey. ;)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sample taken to clinic. Waiting for the results. Should be hearing something soon. Just will be glad when this ordeal is over! :( Hope none of you got sick. It certainly is no fun.

Cheers,

Phil

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Oh yeah! I can't eat at Hardee's/Carl's Jr because of a food poisoning incident about 24 years ago. Oh that was a night of hell in the bathroom. I get nauseous when I drive past one even more than 2 decades later.

Get better because food borne illness really sucks.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Oh yeah! I can't eat at Hardee's/Carl's Jr because of a food poisoning incident about 24 years ago. Oh that was a night of hell in the bathroom. I get nauseous when I drive past one even more than 2 decades later.

Get better because food borne illness really sucks.
I misunderstood the doctor today. I thought that my lab sample results would be back later today. However, I called them and was told that it takes 2-days. Oh well, just eating a easy simple diet right now. Just feels good to actually want something to eat. Nothing like soup and crackers. I agree though food borne illness really does suck! :eek:

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Um, if u makes u feel any better, "stool sample" has killed my appetite as well. o_O

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Um, if u makes u feel any better, "stool sample" has killed my appetite as well. o_O
Sorry man it kind of goes with the territory. I did edit my post(s) though so not to upset anyone. Thanks for mentioning it as it should have been worded that way from the start. ;)

Cheers,

Phil

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry to hear about your bad day with turkey wings. Nothing like being extremely nauseated to ruin your weekend. Even though you were miserable, I'm glad you didn't have to be hospitalized. Some cases of salmonella poisoning can result in severe dehydration and require IV fluids.

That hasn't happened to me in many years, but its something you never forget. For me it wasn't turkey, but pancakes! I couldn't look at them for years, and I still avoid them now. It probably wasn't really a case of poisoning by pancakes, but that was the last thing I ate before finding myself on my knees, getting unusually familiar with my toilet.

Psychologists call this 'food aversion'. It's a much stronger learning experience than pain.

Hope you feel better soon.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Richard for the well wishes. You are correct in that I could be in the hospital right now as we speak. It is also a good thing that I threw the other (3) wings away. Just glad that I finally went to see a doctor today. The nausea is much better, but still some abdominal pain. Hopefully, this ordeal will be over and done very soon.

Cheers,

Phil

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Some foodborne pathogens can be found on food that looks, smells, and tastes fine (Salmonella, Listeria).

Turkey, Chicken and Ducks are very susceptible to Salmonella and Listeria. There is an ongoing Salmonella issue with Turkey in the USA right now.

https://www.consumerreports.org/salmonella/salmonella-outbreak-in-turkey/

Also you have to be aware of the "keep cold foods cold, and hot foods hot" rule, and two hours at room temperature is the max, either prepare it as leftovers and put it in the 'fridge before two hours has passed, or you're supposed to throw food out after that time has passed at room temperature.

Never thaw frozen food at room temperature, always in the 'fridge or if for immediate use, in a cold water bath, or use a Microwave Oven and a thaw program setting.

Also re-freezing is a No-No. Freeze once, if it thaws you either cook it or toss it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Some foodborne pathogens can be found on food that looks, smells, and tastes fine (Salmonella, Listeria).

Turkey, Chicken and Ducks are very susceptible to Salmonella and Listeria. There is an ongoing Salmonella issue with Turkey in the USA right now.

https://www.consumerreports.org/salmonella/salmonella-outbreak-in-turkey/

Also you have to be aware of the "keep cold foods cold, and hot foods hot" rule, and two hours at room temperature is the max, either prepare it as leftovers and put it in the 'fridge before two hours has passed, or you're supposed to throw food out after that time has passed at room temperature.

Never thaw frozen food at room temperature, always in the 'fridge or if for immediate use, in a cold water bath, or use a Microwave Oven and a thaw program setting.

Also re-freezing is a No-No. Freeze once, if it thaws you either cook it or toss it.
Excellent post Johnny. Lots of good info here. People need to pay more attention to things like this. In addition to the above info, be aware of the problems with romain lettuce nation wide. Personally, I have been avoiding lettuce and salads altogether. Now it looks like turkey will join my list of foods to avoid. :(

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis