Your own chili recipe- bean or no bean?

• I always cook mine with beans.

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • What?! Real Chili doesn't have beans.

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Brrr! Winter came late this year but man, now it's here with a vengeance! It's hovering around 0 degrees F right now. But there's one thing canl always warm you up- a nice batch of chili. :D Anyone else fight the cold by cooking up a batch o' red?

It's funny how every male, even if they can't boil water without burning it, seems to think they are Chili Masters! Which is annoying to those of us who are:D Okay, I'm a little too far north for a Texas chili purist, but I like my "yankee chili" anyway!

Anyone have a "special recipe" they wanna share? Or is your own chili recipe top secret? And if so, do you prefer "Bean" or "NO Bean"?

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Oh, I love making chili, but I have not found that special recipe yet :( Please someone post some killer chili recipes.

Real chili should never have beans

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
Just by coincidence, a staff writer for the Cape Cod Times published a recipe that had been obtained from a native Texan and Monkee (remember them?), Mike Nesmith who had recently visited here.

It's simple, but I have not tried it:

Mike Nesmith's Monkee Chili

3 pounds ground beef
1 pound ground pork
juice of 3 limes
1 bulb garlic (mince half, rest peeled whole)
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 stick of butter (I think I'll omit this part, my words :eek: )
1 bottle of beer (I think I'll quadruple this part, my words again :D )

Sear meat. Add other ingredients. Cook low for 2 to 4 hours. Serve with cornbread and lots more beer ('lots more beer my words again :p ). Makes 6-8 servings.

I might even try making this myself. I have several years in Texas in my resume so that should be a plus!!!

And finally, if ya' want a little bit of trivia: Mike Nesmith's mother invented Liquid Paper. She eventually ascended to chairman of the board of the Liquid Paper Company which was sold to Gillette in 1979 for $47.5 million. So, how's
that for apples! or should I say liquid paper bucks? Not bad for a single mom and a monkee for a kid (sorry Mike, I had to say that :eek: ).

I think I hear I hear Santy coming...

Bye,

-GeorgeM

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I started making chili my senior year in college and continued through medical scholl for something hot and readily available during December finals. When I finished, I started making it New Years Day, getting it going prior to the football and have it ready for dinner. One year we had two feet of snow in Maryland and couldn't get out for a week (we don't cope with snow here) and lived off the stuff.

I usually sextuple this recipe (I have a big a$$ pot)

One pound each of ground beef, kidney beans, and crushed tomatoes. One red pepper, 6 oz of water, 2 oz cheap red wine, whatever hot peppers, chili powder, hot sauce and/or pepper flakes I can find, 1 tsp cumin, two cloves garlic chopped, one half onion chopped, pepper.

Brown the ground beef in a skillet with olive oil and oregano.

Toss everything in a pot and cook for as long as you wish at least two hours. Chili is the only food I know that gets better the more you cook it. Serve with cornbread or sourdough and mass quantities of beer.

If its too thin add tomato paste. A good way to control the heat is to use WHOLE Habaneros. If it starts getting too hot they are easy to fish out.

annunaki

annunaki

0 F!! We are lucky to even get to 0 F here in northcentral Wisconsin. For Christmas day our forecasted high is around -13F to -7F. Last night it was around -23F in my area. Without windchill!! The fuel lines on my wife's car started to freeze last night. We had to put 2 cans of isopropyl (A.K.A. Heet) into the tank so it would start this morning. My car had no problems. I find it funny though that I used Shell gasoline. She used Mobil (she usually runs Shell). We had about the same amount of fuel in the tanks as well.

Some good chili recipes would be appreciated though!! :)

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Y'know, Rob, the "beans vs. no beans" question could be construed as a troll to incite a flame war. You as a moderator should know that! ;)

And in the case of the beans camp, the flames could be literal!

Anyway, I'm no chili connoisseur. I gladly partake but I don't make. I'm not dogmatic on the legume question but I prefer beanless. One thing I am firm on, though, is that chili must have heat! A bland chili is just a waste of time and calories. Might as well've had a bowl of chicken soup. Not that there's anything wrong with chicken soup.

Speaking of chicken, I have had "white" chilis that I enjoyed greatly. Don't know if they are anaethema to true chili heads though. In terms of red I like a mix of beef and pork. Prefer shredded or pulled meat to ground.

BTW, we just had about 10" of snow here in Motown. Had to shovel the drive after fighting my way back home from work. Chili sounds real good right now.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Yeah, chili doesn't have to be radioactive or anything, but it should have some zip. Without that it's just soup. I like the kind of heat that sort of grows as you eat it. I use a variety of pepper to give a "roundness" and complexity to the flavor and a bit of bite. Mixing black pepper, white pepper & cayenne gives you that. I also use fresh or bottled minced garlic- aside from the flavor it gives, garlic is actually pretty hot. Then you can add jalepenos if you like more heat, or something even hotter (eg scotch bonnets, etc).

If you keep adding pepper & tasting as you go, though, stop before it gets as hot as you want it. As it cooks it will get spicier; it will continue to get hotter as it sits. It takes time for all the capsicum oil in the pepper to be released, and capsicum is what gives you the heat.

As far as beans go, I guess I should have given a third option- "I like both." I'll sometimes add beans and sometimes make it without. When I do add beans, I like to use a can of Bushes or Grimes Chili hot beans, along with 1 can Dark Red Kidney beans, 1 can Pinto beans & 2 cans Black Beans. I imagine this would be "fightin' words" if we had a lot of Texans here, but it looks like it's mostly us Yanks.

Last edited:
S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Way Down South (aka Mississippi) we are hoping for a white Christmas. The lows are expected to be in the 20's. The other day we reached 22.

Just had to rub it in, didnt I?

Chili is great....

but right now I have a pot of homemade beef veggie soup simmering in the kitchen.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I agree that a mix of hot peppers and hot sauces is the best way to go. I also agree that the heat increases with time which is why I like to have at least one hot thing I can remove if the need arises. The perfect bowl of chili should evoke the response "yeah that's pretty hot" on the first taste without overwhelming you but leave you breathing pure fire :eek: at the bottom of the bowl to be relieved by beer and bread. Can't wait till Jan 1.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
0 F!! We are lucky to even get to 0 F here in northcentral Wisconsin. For Christmas day our forecasted high is around -13F to -7F. Last night it was around -23F in my area. Without windchill!! The fuel lines on my wife's car started to freeze last night. We had to put 2 cans of isopropyl (A.K.A. Heet) into the tank so it would start this morning. My car had no problems. I find it funny though that I used Shell gasoline. She used Mobil (she usually runs Shell). We had about the same amount of fuel in the tanks as well.
But the summers up here in WI are wonderful. Just look at how many 80 plus days we had last summ.......... never mind.

Didn't realize you were a Wisconsinite Annunaki. Stay warm tonight it's gonna be a bone chiller.

I'm dreaming of a green Christmas. (With Chili)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Another sub zero day today- it wouldn't be so bad, but usually we get to acclimate to it gradually. Not so this year. It went from daytime 40's - 50's to pretty much single digits and lower, with nites well under 0. My corner of SD gets mostly the same weather as WI, although possibly a little lower humidity. Luckily the blanket of snow most of the East got missed us.

I usually run ethynol (10%) which sort of works like Heet. Yep, in this part of the country they could probably double the price of gas line dryer this time of year. ;) Does a good job of keeping things from icing up. Gasoline doesn't freeze at a measly -27, but often condensation in the lines will freeze. That's why running a blend in the winter is a good idea (one active ingredient in most Heet-type additives is a type of alcohol).

Chili is sorta like Heet for the human body! Nothing like spicy food in the winter to elevate body temp and boost the immune system, especially with cold & flu season upon us. The capsicum is good for you, and certainly will give you temporary relief of what ails you. Great for clearing a stuff head. Chili for dinner & a couple brews at bed time! :p

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

My Recipe for Prairie Fire Chili with Beans

Servings: Makes a Big *** Batch (ie better use an 8-10 qt heavy stockpot)

Ingredients:

2-3 lbs of steak (round, chuck, or sirloin- whatever's on hand)
Optional: Pork loin is great in place of steak and is a bit cheaper.
2 lbs sausage (from plain ol' Jimmy Dean to Italian or Chorizo)
3 lbs ground chuck (lean & coarse ground, if possible)
3 cups onions, med dice
1 cup roasted red peppers (or 1 whole red pepper, seeded & chopped)
1/2 cup diced canned japs (or about 2-3 fresh ones, seeded & chopped)- Vary with your tolerance for heat!
2 TBSP fresh minced garlic
1/4 cup chili powder (vary to taste)
1/4 cup cumin + 1 TBSP
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
2 tsp Worc sauce
Pepper: Feel free to vary depending upon how much heat you can take!
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp Trappeys or Tobasco (2 TBSP if you use the Green Tobasco)

3-4 TBSP paprika
Cornstarch or Roux (about 4 TBSP starch + equal water OR 5 TBSP roux)
5 cups Jus (au Jus to most people- any low salt beef broth or stock is fine)
5 x cans of diced tomatoes, drained
1 can Mrs Grimes or Bushes Chili Hot Beans (with sauce)
1 can Dark Red Kidney beans, drained
1 can Pinto Beans, drained
2 cans Black Beans, drained
2 oz canola or other oil
OPTIONAL: 1 x 6-8 oz can tomato paste

When cutting the jalapenos, coat hands with oil or (better yet) wear latex or vinyl gloves. At all costs, avoid touching your eyes. Capsicum will stick to your hands despite repeated handwashings with soap! Contact with mucous membranes will be similar to being maced. Be careful. Japs are pretty hot, so I use jars of mild to med heat peppers. A real diehard can buy hot ones or use Scotch Bonnets (many times hotter than japs).

Cut the steak into small strips or cubes, then saute in hot oil. In a separate pan, brown the burger & sausage. When the meat is about half browned, add the diced onions. Cook til the ground meat is nicely browned, then drain the grease. Add the steak to the pot.

At this point you're ready for the beef broth. Pour over the meat & turn up heat to med. Stir in the roasted red peppers, diced canned japs, fresh minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, basil, paprika, Worc sauce & pepper. Stir vigorously till all the dry ingredients dissolve, then add the Trappeys or Tobasco. If you want to add tomato paste, do it now.

Once the spices are mixed well, add the tomatos and beans. Stir over med to high heat for about 15 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer. It's best to let it cook for at least two hours, and four is better. This will give the broth enough time to work the capsicum out of the pepper and cook the metallic taste out of the chili powder. Bear in mind it'll take about 1 & 1/2 hours for the steak or pork loin to break down and become tender.

Once the chili has simmered, it's ready to thicken. You can use either cornstarch mixed with equal parts cold water, or you can use roux. To thicken with cornstarch, give the starch & water mix a good stir, then slowly blend into the chili with a wire wisk. Roux is a cooked thickener made with equal parts oil and AP flour. To make it, heat the oil over low/med heat & stir in the flour, stirring til it's all incorporated. Continue to cook til light brown, stirring continuously. If you wish to thicken with roux, use it as you would the cornstarch, mixing in a little at a time with a wisk. In either case, bring the chili up to a boil for two minutes, stirring to keep from burning, to gelatinize all the starch. (If you thicken with roux, it's best to then reduce to a simmer for another half hour til the raw taste of flour is gone. Roux binding takes awhile, but won't break if you decide to freeze it, whereas cornstarch thickened sauces will. Hey, I never said this was as fast as opening some Hormel!).

Remove from the heat & let stand a few minutes. A few serving suggestions:

Green Bay Style- ladle over spaghetti (yeah, I don't get those guys, either. :crazy: )
Chili Nachos- Fill shallow bowl with tortilla chips, toss with cheese & microwave. Cover with chili, sour cream, black olives, pickled japs & diced onions.
Chili Burger- Serve burger on two slices of toast. Add cheese & douse with chili.
Chili Mac- Just like it sounds, stir hot chili into mac & cheese.
Chili cheese burrito- Like taco bell, but good. Reduce chili in small pan. Stir in shredded cheddar and roll up in a tortilla.

In any event, serve with plenty of cold beer! :drink:

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

NomoSony said:
But the summers up here in WI are wonderful. Just look at how many 80 plus days we had last summ.......... never mind.

Didn't realize you were a Wisconsinite Annunaki. Stay warm tonight it's gonna be a bone chiller.

I'm dreaming of a green Christmas. (With Chili)
I definitely do enjoy summers here. Especially since they seem to be getting longer.... slightly. :) I can deal with the snow as it really isn't that bad if one knows how to drive. And, of course, a good set of Bridgestones. :) On the evening of the 23rd it was -27F on the 24th it was -22F. Yes it was a bone chiller. It is supposed to get up to a blistering 25F today :D .

annunaki

annunaki

Rob Babcock said:
Another sub zero day today- it wouldn't be so bad, but usually we get to acclimate to it gradually. Not so this year. It went from daytime 40's - 50's to pretty much single digits and lower, with nites well under 0. My corner of SD gets mostly the same weather as WI, although possibly a little lower humidity. Luckily the blanket of snow most of the East got missed us.

I usually run ethynol (10%) which sort of works like Heet. Yep, in this part of the country they could probably double the price of gas line dryer this time of year. ;) Does a good job of keeping things from icing up. Gasoline doesn't freeze at a measly -27, but often condensation in the lines will freeze. That's why running a blend in the winter is a good idea (one active ingredient in most Heet-type additives is a type of alcohol).

Chili is sorta like Heet for the human body! Nothing like spicy food in the winter to elevate body temp and boost the immune system, especially with cold & flu season upon us. The capsicum is good for you, and certainly will give you temporary relief of what ails you. Great for clearing a stuff head. Chili for dinner & a couple brews at bed time! :p

Quite right on the condensation issue Rob. I guess I should have mentioned that. :) I usually use an Isopropyl (alcohol) based additive (Heet).

I agree Chili is kind of like Heet for the human body. I know I usually feel better after eating it.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I definitely do enjoy summers here. Especially since they seem to be getting longer.... slightly. I can deal with the snow as it really isn't that bad if one knows how to drive. And, of course, a good set of Bridgestones. On the evening of the 23rd it was -27F on the 24th it was -22F. Yes it was a bone chiller. It is supposed to get up to a blistering 25F today .
I love summers here as well. What I was eluding to was my frustration with this last summer's tempuratures. It never even got warm enough for a nightime swim in the pool.
Pretty nice out tonight for December though.

Rob,
I'm really really really not trying to be a smart-*** here, But I noticed you lost your Viking Avatar. What's up?

annunaki

annunaki

Dan said:
I started making chili my senior year in college and continued through medical scholl for something hot and readily available during December finals. When I finished, I started making it New Years Day, getting it going prior to the football and have it ready for dinner. One year we had two feet of snow in Maryland and couldn't get out for a week (we don't cope with snow here) and lived off the stuff.

I usually sextuple this recipe (I have a big a$$ pot)

One pound each of ground beef, kidney beans, and crushed tomatoes. One red pepper, 6 oz of water, 2 oz cheap red wine, whatever hot peppers, chili powder, hot sauce and/or pepper flakes I can find, 1 tsp cumin, two cloves garlic chopped, one half onion chopped, pepper.

Brown the ground beef in a skillet with olive oil and oregano.

Toss everything in a pot and cook for as long as you wish at least two hours. Chili is the only food I know that gets better the more you cook it. Serve with cornbread or sourdough and mass quantities of beer.

If its too thin add tomato paste. A good way to control the heat is to use WHOLE Habaneros. If it starts getting too hot they are easy to fish out.
Dan,

I tried your recipe with good results. I did make a slight error as I forgot to pick up some cumin. I made a single batch, but used two cans (14 oz) of crushed tomatoes to thicken. One was not enough. I used crushed red pepper plakes, chili powder, crushed cayenne pepper and black pepper to season. It turned out quite good. I will make it again. :) This time with cumin.

C

Cozmo

Audioholic
Chili Recipes

Here ya go. Have not tried all of them (yet).... :D

Most of these I got from food network and other cooking sites.... Enjoy!

Go Vikes!!

Attachments

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Yeah, cumin is a must. It's more essential to getting the fundamental flavor correct than the chili powder.

annunaki

annunaki

I sure found that out Rob. It (the chili) turned out really good but, I could still tell it wasn't quite right. I figured that is what it had to be. :D

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Annunaki,

I'm glad you liked it. Yes my stuff is a bit on the soupy side. It depends on the consistency of the crushed tomatoes. You can use whole peeled canned tomatoes and strain the liquid. I also strain the beans. Sorry, I was not trying to be as comprehensive with my recipe as Rob was. Merlot makes a good wine to throw in. Yes, the cumin is essential.

I made a 6x batch new years and then watched my beloved Wolverines lose yet another Rose Bowl. No hope for the pros. I'm a Redskin fan and I can't figure out how you can fire an owner!

Since we're on cooking how about barbecue? I tried my first brisket this year and it was killer but hard to reproduce. What's your favorite cut, wood and recipes? Here's a link to the greatest barbecue sauce I've ever had:
www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/view.aspx?c=sauce&r=243

Aka Fritz's Favorite. Looks weird tastes phenomenal. It's never to cold to grill. But I might grant an exception to you upper midwesterners!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis