Gmoneywp15

Gmoneywp15

Audioholic Intern
Just over two years ago I posted to this forum with a budget of $2500, looking for advice on what to buy. My current system (based solely on advice I rcvd in this forum):
Rbh R55Ti's
Emotiva a300
Marantz nr1607
Hsu vtf-3 mk5 hp sub

Looking to upgrade. Budget is $2,000. Where should I spend it? Was considering just upgrading the speakers and leave the rest alone?

Thanks for all the help!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What is your upgrade goal? Do you feel like you are missing something?

Gmoneywp15

Gmoneywp15

Audioholic Intern
I don’t think I am missing anything. I know my towers are good budget speakers- whats out there that is much “better” for about $2k or less.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd be tempted to get a 2nd subwoofer... dunno what kind of space you're dealing with tho. I have SVS Ultra towers and I love 'em and they're in your upgrade price range. If you keep an eye out they pop up time to time in their outlet (they have 1 with no damage right now). Same warranty and "Customer Bill of Rights" as new. You have 45 days to send them back on their dime if you don't like them.

I bought a few of their bookshelf speakers too as a center channel and surrounds. I've bought a couple "damaged" and needed a bright light and a few minutes of close inspection to even see the scratch.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I will ask you tho, would you consider a 2nd sub? You might be better served with that instead of upgrading your speakers. I haven't heard yours, but I know RBH is considered a very solid brand. I looked them up and they're nice looking speakers too. A second MK5 could give you a much smoother bass response.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In my opinion, a most noticeable improvement would be obtained with a second VTF-3 subwoofer which you could place at the right spot to render your LF performance smoother.

Gmoneywp15

Gmoneywp15

Audioholic Intern
No center speaker. My father in law “gave” me a polk psw10. Doubt its on par with the VTF3., but would be free if I use it. I’m glad you brought up the base though- my living room ceiling is two separate ceilings. In the area that is 9’, the whole system is under that ceiling and sounds great. In the part that goes up to a gable, no low bass can be heard. Total drop off from standing 1’ to the right. To be clear, it’s one continuous room, just 3/4 is flat 9’ high doling and the other 1/4 is a gable. So maybe I answered my own OP question. Guessing you all wouldn’t recommend using the Polk?instead drop a $1000 on a second vtf3 and pocket the rest?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No center speaker. My father in law “gave” me a polk psw10. Doubt its on par with the VTF3., but would be free if I use it. I’m glad you brought up the base though- my living room ceiling is two separate ceilings. In the area that is 9’, the whole system is under that ceiling and sounds great. In the part that goes up to a gable, no low bass can be heard. Total drop off from standing 1’ to the right. To be clear, it’s one continuous room, just 3/4 is flat 9’ high doling and the other 1/4 is a gable. So maybe I answered my own OP question. Guessing you all wouldn’t recommend using the Polk?instead drop a $1000 on a second vtf3 and pocket the rest?
I do think you'll get more improvement with a second sub, yes. It'll help shore up those nulls you're experiencing.

And yeah, no on the Polk. A lesser sub has a way of forcing your big one to "play down" to its level to have everything balanced.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Definitely the Polk doesn't come close to the performance of the VTF3. You have your answer.

Also, it's not advisable to use different subwoofers in a system because they don't perform similarly and that would impair the overall results.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, the Polk is firewood. I would try and budget for a second HSU, new AVR and 4 rsl c34e’s for Atmos. And definitely get a center.

Unless of course this is music only, then I’d still get another HSU and find a pair of JBL 590’s on sale ftw

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would be looking at a center channel speaker and a second sub. The problem is that the matching center for those speakers is no longer manufactured. Still, you could get on that is plain old neutral, and it shouldn't be too much of a misfit in that system. One of the best centers that I have yet encountered is the Paradigm Premier center speakers. Take a close look at one of those.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I don’t think I am missing anything. I know my towers are good budget speakers- whats out there that is much “better” for about $2k or less.
Beyond what’s been said...
One question was asked and not answered:
What’s your usage like?
HT to Music?
Me, I’m a music first kinda guy... lately at least 95% music to HT.
That kinda usage should focus your upgrade. :)

I agree with the others that a second matching sub should be high on your list, regardless. If you do use your rig for HT, a solid center would be worthwhile.
Beyond that, if you are into HT, then at the very least you should be looking at the next step which would be surrounds. A proper 5.2 setup for multi-channel music an HT is worthwhile...
I hat still goes back to how you use your system and where your goal and values lie.
:D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Btw, the room is 18x28’
Your room is very close to the space I'm dealing with, plus I have vaulted ceilings, a hallway and a doorless room off to one side. I have two VTF-3 MK5 subwoofers and they do the job very nicely.

Gmoneywp15

Gmoneywp15

Audioholic Intern
Beyond what’s been said...
One question was asked and not answered:
What’s your usage like?
HT to Music?
Me, I’m a music first kinda guy... lately at least 95% music to HT.
That kinda usage should focus your upgrade. :)

I agree with the others that a second matching sub should be high on your list, regardless. If you do use your rig for HT, a solid center would be worthwhile.
Beyond that, if you are into HT, then at the very least you should be looking at the next step which would be surrounds. A proper 5.2 setup for multi-channel music an HT is worthwhile...
I hat still goes back to how you use your system and where your goal and values lie.
:D
I use it quite a bit for HT, but even though it gets a lot of use for that-- I am just not as concerned with HT being amazing (maybe I just dont know what I dont know). Much less use for music, but when I play my music I want it be be amazing. Crank it up and sit in the sweet spot. I might consider a center and full surround just to have it, would be nice. One problem is my entertainment center (that i love and not getting rid of) isnt the best for airflow at all- its one of those wall mounted floating units. Hence why my AVR is a slim line and only using the pre-amps. I looked at buying an airflow unit to set on top of AVR, but couldn't find anything I thought would work. If I was so inclined could probably build something myself using computer fans...

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
One problem is my entertainment center (that i love and not getting rid of) isnt the best for airflow at all- its one of those wall mounted floating units. Hence why my AVR is a slim line and only using the pre-amps. I looked at buying an airflow unit to set on top of AVR, but couldn't find anything I thought would work. If I was so inclined could probably build something myself using computer fans...
Have you looked at Noctua PWM fan controller and one or more Noctua 5V PWM fans, with the largest at 20 cm? With the PWM controller you can turn down speed so that it is inaudible but still have decent air flow for cooling. The Noctua fans comes with an USB adapter that can be used to power the fans either directly or via the PWM controller.

I've two Noctua 80 mm fans, connected to Noctua PWM fan controller, on my receiver and they are powered by my TV, so only on when needed.

Noctua fans (homepage)

Noctua NA-FC1 4-pin PWM Fan Controller (Amazon.com)
Noctua fans (Amazon.com, look for 5V PWM)

Gmoneywp15

Gmoneywp15

Audioholic Intern
Have you looked at Noctua PWM fan controller and one or more Noctua 5V PWM fans, with the largest at 20 cm? With the PWM controller you can turn down speed so that it is inaudible but still have decent air flow for cooling. The Noctua fans comes with an USB adapter that can be used to power the fans either directly or via the PWM controller.

I've two Noctua 80 mm fans, connected to Noctua PWM fan controller, on my receiver and they are powered by my TV, so only on when needed.

Noctua fans (homepage)

Noctua NA-FC1 4-pin PWM Fan Controller (Amazon.com)
Noctua fans (Amazon.com, look for 5V PWM)
I’ve thought about this. I’ve built a half dozen tower gaming computers, so I certainly know about this type of fan and controller. Maybe it’s time to rig something up.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I’ve thought about this. I’ve built a half dozen tower gaming computers, so I certainly know about this type of fan and controller. Maybe it’s time to rig something up.
By the way, those Noctua fans are rather quiet and carry a 6 year warranty. I am using one on my desk top computer. :)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
By the way, those Noctua fans are rather quiet and carry a 6 year warranty. I am using one on my desk top computer. :)
Only one fan, really, and you dare write that? It's like going into a subwoofer forum posting that one subwoofer is all that you need, ever :D

I have four Noctua 120mm fans in my desktop PC and I got no more place for any other fan :D When idling (www browsing, reading mail, Netflix, etc) only the two CPU fans are running and the GPU is in fan-off while idling mode. Very quiet, and no dust buildup as the two fans on the Noctua CPU cooler blows down, cooling the chipset as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis