time to upgrade HDMI's ?

M

Mark E. Long

Junior Audioholic
iam wanting add a new display to my system in the near future as I've had this current setup for a good while wanting to go to 4K and kind of future proof the video and pathways for audio . my current hdmi cables are like the first or second gen but they still work with that being said would I be doing myself good buy upgrading from my Blu-ray to avr and avr to tv by getting newer cables with current capability's such as 2.0 or what ever they got them listed now . I did this with a Roku streaming stick and got way better audio from it .Thinking it would improve the whole Blu-ray's and cable box also or am I off base as I will have to replace my two blu-rays with the new display for 4 K
Thanks fellas y'all have never steered me wrong .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Seriously, I have no life.
Cables are about their bandwidth/speed ratings and the length of the run. If you have really old cables they may not be sufficient for 4k use. Here's how the official designations go https://hdmi.org/resource/cables

M

Mark E. Long

Junior Audioholic
Thank You as I suspected ill have to upgrade as mine are like 10 years old and just pass 1080 I . ive not kept up with video cables like I have patch cables and thanks for the link also . now to search the usual venues for the best buy on these ill need 4 at 6 ft length my runs are short that will help .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank You as I suspected ill have to upgrade as mine are like 10 years old and just pass 1080 I . ive not kept up with video cables like I have patch cables and thanks for the link also . now to search the usual venues for the best buy on these ill need 4 at 6 ft length my runs are short that will help .
Monoprice is always a good start or someone like Bluejeanscable.com for something a bit fancier. Just please no cable charlatan stuff like Audioquest that BB sells....

M

Mark E. Long

Junior Audioholic
Monoprice is always a good start or someone like Bluejeanscable.com for something a bit fancier. Just please no cable charlatan stuff like Audioquest that BB sells....
indeed I here ya on that ive looked on monoprice they have what I need they don't have to be pretty but accurately work . Amazon's got decent prices on certified cables many brands and the lengths I want too . I haven't checked Blue jeans yet I will didn't realize the carried hdmi's . was in our local Best Buy awhike bax
ck ours at least is getting to be slim Pickens on most anything cable related .
Thanks for your input Sir !

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Ninja
Monoprice Certified Premium have worked very well for me. I would caution about buying other brands over Amazon without some deep research to make certain they are as advertised.

M

Mark E. Long

Junior Audioholic
Monoprice Certified Premium have worked very well for me. I would caution about buying other brands over Amazon without some deep research to make certain they are as advertised.
I have looked on amazon like you say and there are a lot that are not certified ill probley go with monoprice as there's are certified and are really reasonable compared to a awful lot on the market even big name brands like you say ill do the research it will payoff in the long run . A lot of the new features offered with the new TV's and 4 K stuff is something ive not played around with yet . so there will be a learning curve but I only want to buy cables once lol . Hey thanks for your input much appreciated !!

M

Mark E. Long

Junior Audioholic
indeed I here ya on that ive looked on monoprice they have what I need they don't have to be pretty but accurately work . Amazon's got decent prices on certified cables many brands and the lengths I want too . I haven't checked Blue jeans yet I will didn't realize the carried hdmi's . was in our local Best Buy awhike bax
ck ours at least is getting to be slim Pickens on most anything cable related .
Thanks for your input Sir !
I went with Monoprice as they have a store on amazon with quicker shipping for prime members , Iam just going to redo the whole video cables of the whole system and be done and ready for the new display in a month or two Thank you Gentlemen !!

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis