Time to update/upgrade the av receiver...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also I know toe in helps with the center imaging and instrument placement and soundstage but in this scenario wouldn't have the speakers facing straight out help in regards of a narrower stereo setup having to play to a broader sitting area? I'm no pro but it makes sense to me :)
That makes sense to me too. However sitting that far off center with the way it's toed in (and out) right now, he's almost perfectly on axis with the left speaker and waaayyy off axis relative to the right speaker. He's basically getting all left speaker and almost no right speaker at all. There's no stereo effect at all.

What you suggest might be marginally better, but the seating is the biggest problem.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Don't say that on here!;) you may get bushwhacked by @loveinthehd , Chris's_Bi=G- LBGT club.:cool: can't really say just heard that from a friend. @CajunLB Who Rules? Acadiana! Thats who! i,EEEE!! :D
One more thing, stop hiding around and post up!! more often Denon AVR's are still good so what if they are 2nd to Yamaha's :p:D How's that little ;Droid; fan you put on that to held keep your Denon AVR from running to hot and overheating?:p;)
What in the f#%k?!!! You ate the fizzy gumbo again, didn't you? My apologies to EVERYBODY!;):D:cool:

As for that room, life's too short. Tell the wife you want those speakers moved and something on those doors and windows asap or else you are gonna' make use of all of that sunshine and sit out in the living room in the nude from now on. Let her explain it to company.:D

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
That makes sense to me too. However sitting that far off center with the way it's toed in (and out) right now, he's almost perfectly on axis with the left speaker and waaayyy off axis relative to the right speaker. He's basically getting all left speaker and almost no right speaker at all. There's no stereo effect at all.

What you suggest might be marginally better, but the seating is the biggest problem.
The speakers are unusual in that the tweeter and woofer points up at what appears to be 45 degrees. I wonder how they actually sound.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The speakers are unusual in that the tweeter and woofer points up at what appears to be 45 degrees. I wonder how they actually sound.
I didn't catch what brand, but I did notice that. Reminds me a little of Mirage OMD speakers with a sort of omnipolar thing going on.

DSC01275_84182_4_copy_400x603.jpeg

I think the tweets on his are recessed more for phase alignment than anything tho.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Wait what!! you YOU!!! R2D2!! :D Apologies to everyone in between!!:D
"Love means never having to say your" n%SORRY! :p:D:cool:
Pssst, I was being diplomatic. I really don't give a s#%t. ;) The shades might not be enough anymore. Where did I put that slicker?:D

D

ddjr

Audioholic
They are meadowlark kestrel hotrods. You guys are funny as hell, I was in a crap mood but reading all of this lifted my spirits!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
They are meadowlark kestrel hotrods. You guys are funny as hell, I was in a crap mood but reading all of this lifted my spirits!
There were no implied criticism on my part. I was just curious.

Are these similar to the speakers in the review in Stereophile?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Glad to be of service! :p

Thanks for clarification on the speakers. I'm gonna go see what Google has to say about 'em. In the meantime, are you home alone? If so move those speakers out some more, right in front of those double doors and order up some blackout curtains before she gets home!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There were no implied criticism on my part. I was just curious.

Are these similar to the speakers in the review in Stereophile?

I think those are a step up, but the ones he has look pretty good too (if the ones reviewed below are the right ones). Vifa tweets and Scanspeak woofers. Good pedigree drivers. This guy seemed to like them a lot.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you quote the post it is less ambiguous what you mean.
The ones you found
What Trell said! See the little "Reply" button in the bottom right of every post? If you click that it will automatically quote whoever you're replying to. Just type your response below the quote and hit post. Then we can tell exactly who you're responding to. That's happened a couple of times in this thread and it got a li'l confusing.

2021-04-17 13.58.03.png
2021-04-17 14.01.11.png

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Ok guys, I've educated myself a bit. Im not so interested in wattage. I like the idea of as much room correction software as possible. Two sub outputs, and screw down terminals with banana plug inputs(not sure what they're called, not rca's for speaker hookup) hdmi inputs, not vintage, but current, and is a step up(or many steps up) from my denon avr s500bt. I think that covers everything. My budget Is $500 . I know this includes denon avr-x 3000 and up, but what about:anthem, arcam, emotiva, rotel, outlaw audio, yamaha, and whatever else is out there.Im not familiar with their room correction, arc, etc. I will be buying used, either from here or ebay. Thanks for your patience and suggestions! Also, if anyone feels they have an avr that fits the bill for sale, please let me know!

Last edited:
D

ddjr

Audioholic
There is a Denon AVR-4310CI AV Surround Receiver for sale in the classifieds here .$350, shipped. Is this better than what I currently have, or a step sideways?

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Ok guys, I've educated myself a bit. Im not so interested in wattage. I like the idea of as much room correction software as possible. Two sub outputs, and screw down terminals with banana plug inputs(not sure what they're called, not rca's for speaker hookup) hdmi inputs, not vintage, but current, and is a step up(or many steps up) from my denon avr s500bt. I think that covers everything. My budget Is $500 . I know this includes denon avr-x 3000 and up, but what about:anthem, arcam, emotiva, rotel, outlaw audio, yamaha, and whatever else is out there.Im not familiar with their room correction, arc, etc. I will be buying used, either from here or ebay. Thanks for your patience and suggestions! Also, if anyone feels they have an act that fits the bill for sale, ease let me know!
I know anthem is great for room correction software and Yamaha (A3080 specifically) has good depth to its customization and decent room correction aswell, the Denon im using now (X3700H) has a noticeable difference in the quality and feel from my old one and the room correction software is better than the 2 receivers I've had personal experience with.

If it were me with the choice I would try to get my hands on either a Denon (X3600H or X3700H) or Anthem since the Yamaha A3080 is hard to come by and about 3X your current budget minimum.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Ok cool! I'll scour ebay for x3600 and 3700. But which anthem models?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok cool! I'll scour ebay for x3600 and 3700. But which anthem models?
If you find a good deal, Marantz 6000 series is also in the same ballpark as the 3000 series Denon for features and room correction. I have the 6011 and it's still current enough for my needs, but there are newer models. I wouldn't get anything previous to the 6011. I think the newest is the 6015?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis