Time to update/upgrade the av receiver...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Toe in- should they be pointing directly at me, or just "slightly" at me?
Yes, more or less. Different speakers have different dispersion patterns so do a little experimenting. Part of your problem is your seating position. You really want to be more in the middle. The way you have that speaker on the left looks toed out andand the other one looks toed in. You have no center image and your soundstage is gonna be a mess. I have mine toed in so I can just see a little bit of the insides of the cabs from where I sit. Not quite straight at me, more along "slightly" at me or a little more. Like I said, experiment with it a little bit and see what sounds best in your room.

However, until you improve your seating position there isn't a whole lot more you can do... I think you're too far to the left of center to really have a proper stereo image. Especially with your speakers so close together.

*Edit: This pic is taken from my seat. You can see I'm much more centered.

418.jpeg

Last edited:
D

ddjr

Audioholic
I am left of center for sure. I can't move my chair to center, that would displace the couch and loveseat. As always, it looks like I'm out of luck. You'd think I'd be used to it by now... Oh well. Thanks for your suggestions, I do appreciate them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am left of center for sure. I can't move my chair to center, that would displace the couch and loveseat. As always, it looks like I'm out of luck. You'd think I'd be used to it by now... Oh well. Thanks for your suggestions, I do appreciate them.
I know what I'd do. I'd start working the wife over to relocate the whole entertainment setup. That's about as bad a spot as you can have for acoustics, and for viewing. Any chance of winning that battle? Think you could sell her on a "better" layout for the living room? It is a shared space... She would benefit as well, especially watching TV during the day.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I know what I'd do. I'd start working the wife over to relocate the whole entertainment setup. That's about as bad a spot as you can have for acoustics, and for viewing. Any chance of winning that battle? Think you could sell her on a "better" layout for the living room? It is a shared space... She would benefit as well, especially watching TV during the day.
AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAAAAAAhahahahaha!!!!! I mean, no. It's ok, I should be used to this by now-i do not get what I want . No biggie, it's been 50 years of the same. I will mention changing the room around but I'm sure it won't be happening. Not trying to be a smart ass to you, pogre. I think im coming to terms with my life and my lot. Anyway, thanks for the help
D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Don't give up. You've got to get those speakers in front of the doors right in front of the knobs so they don't block any of the glass. Then, tell the wife she gets to choose the stained glass like sheets that will go on the doors and the windows above. It could really look great with even more plants around the area and it will block lots of light. Worth a shot.
1618599236954.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAAAAAAhahahahaha!!!!! I mean, no. It's ok, I should be used to this by now-i do not get what I want . No biggie, it's been 50 years of the same. I will mention changing the room around but I'm sure it won't be happening. Not trying to be a smart ass to you, pogre. I think im coming to terms with my life and my lot. Anyway, thanks for the help
D
Hey, I don't feel like you're being a smartass at all man. We do what we can do. I see Trebdp83 has an interesting solution for you tho...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
NO! it wasn't. Had nothing to do with your comment, "my odyssey comments" :rolleyes: same ole same ole stop being so LGBT.
Actually, I do think Trebdp83 was expecting a bunch of Denon fanboys (and anti-ampliphiles) to jump all over this statement.
If you really care about 2 channel music listening look for Yamaha. I had a Denon which sounded broke for 2 channel music sources, sold it and bought a Yamaha to replace Denon X2300W, and it transformed the sound altogether.

Denon to me sounded thin and lifeless.
And I'll admit, it made me twitch, but ultimately I decided it wasn't even worth addressing, lol.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
My apologies @ddjr. You see, theres’s history ‘round here. @Gmoney and I were joking about wearing protective gear when the s#%t slinging occurs. @Sachb chimed in about Yamahas as he usually does when Denons are mentioned in these forums. I think he may have an alarm sound when it happens.:D It is usually followed by pages and pages of Yamaha vs Denon s#%t slinging. I’ve been known to poke a bear here and there, but @lovinthehd and @Gmoney, whom I have just lovingly nicknamed the Ornery Oregonian and the Cajun Mush Mouth, are good hearted folk. If they were to leave the Audioholics forums, well, it would be a lesser place for it and I might not find myself hanging around here much anymore, either.:confused: Now, wait for a smart a$$ to come ‘round and say that would be a very good start.:D The fun never ends!:cool::p:D

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Name what???"" Cajun Much Mouth" oooh its on Now You imperialist.! :cool: AH members we got a Brown Coat in here!!:cool: I'm not Cajun, can't speak a word of that BS. I from Great Britain. I just happen to on the boat when it stop.:D
Nothing BS about Cajun. :mad:o_O;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Name what???"" Cajun Much Mouth" oooh its on Now You imperialist.! :cool:
Nothing BS about Cajun. :mad:o_O;)
"Much mouth", "mush mouth"... tomato, tomotto... :p

@ddjr, looking at this pic I think if you could move your speakers further apart, like right in front of the doorknobs, it will improve your current off center seat. You're still a bit too far left even with that change tho. The couch and love seat would be the best seats in the house, and I'd consider moving my butt over there when I wanna sit down and really just listen to some music. If you can do that and play around with toe in I think you'll notice a fairly dramatic improvement.

IMG_20210416_111508910_copy_2048x970.jpg

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
If I can step in for a moment on this convo aswell, I picked up my Denon X3700H used on amazon for less than half the cost of new with the only issue being the poor packaging breaking the remote in transit (amazon refunded me enough to buy another) but if you can find a good deal on used or like was suggested earlier refurbished that saves a lot of money on gear if you can put up with minor blemishes on the gear.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Also I know toe in helps with the center imaging and instrument placement and soundstage but in this scenario wouldn't have the speakers facing straight out help in regards of a narrower stereo setup having to play to a broader sitting area? I'm no pro but it makes sense to me :)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Also I know toe in helps with the center imaging and instrument placement and soundstage but in this scenario wouldn't have the speakers facing straight out help in regards of a narrower stereo setup having to play to a broader sitting area? I'm no pro but it makes sense to me :)
This depends on the speakers and the room, but generally they sound the best when the speakers points at the ears.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis