Time to update/upgrade the av receiver...

D

ddjr

Audioholic
I've got an older denon avr s500bt that I've had for ten years or better. I'm not ecstatic with the sound. I'd like to upgrade, and be current with hdmi inputs,at least 5.1, or 5 2, and all the Dolby and other sound modes my current head doesn't have. Also, I'd like to not break the bank. Ill always look on ebay or Craigslist for any suggestions you guys have. I'm looking at the denon avr x2000 and x2300 series now. Anyone have a preference? Sound first, relevance second. And price. Price is important.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can also check AC4L.com which is a better option than used. They offer refurbs (and some brand new also) with warranty as they are a service center. I've bought from them many times without issue. A friend bought a receiver from there and it had an issue. They did not have the same model so they replaced it with a newer one.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would shoot higher than the 2*** series. The 3*** series and above is where you get MultEQ XT32, full set of preouts and independent sub preouts. With Marantz it's going to be the 6*** series and up.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sound first, relevance second. And price. Price is important.
My opinion, if shopping with sound in mind, the 2000 series is going to be more or less a lateral move. Save up for the next step up and you'll have a lot more options for shaping your sound.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@ddjr I am a Denon person and since you have not had any issues, maybe stay with the same........
Maybe depending on your size room and budget, X2700 for example, has MultiEQ XT sound correction. If you have a straight forward set-up in a standard house with 8 foot ceiling and room is pretty much square, this Denon should be fine. IMO Yes, the budget is huge. If it has all the connections and features you need, then find it.

My FL/FR speakers are 6 feet apart and same with SL/SR. Front to back is about 10 feet placement.
Mine is an older Denon and is the Audyssey MultiEQ room correction, which works fine in my basement room. Have fun! All speakers are in TUNE! I hope this helps.

Last edited:
D

ddjr

Audioholic
Not a standard house at all. 17' peaked ceiling, back of room is open to a kitchen and an open stairway. Also, 2 6' wide French doors on either side of stereo... wood stove in one front corner, and a hutch in the other. I think the room correction program is a must! For me, anyway. Ill keep my eyes open for denon. Thanks!
tmp-cam-7852513893735391107.jpg

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Question for the responders. My version of Audyssey makes a single measurement from the main seating position. I see that Dirac makes multiple room measurements. Is the same true for Audyssey XT and/or XT32?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Question for the responders. My version of Audyssey makes a single measurement from the main seating position. I see that Dirac makes multiple room measurements. Is the same true for Audyssey XT and/or XT32?
XT32 requires at least 3 measurements and up to 8. I use all 8.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not a standard house at all. 17' peaked ceiling, back of room is open to a kitchen and an open stairway. Also, 2 6' wide French doors on either side of stereo... wood stove in one front corner, and a hutch in the other. I think the room correction program is a must! For me, anyway. Ill keep my eyes open for denon. Thanks!View attachment 46659
You're almost describing my room with the kitchen and vaulted ceilings. Plus I have an open room on the right.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's funny! And what do you have for gear?
If you click on the spoiler tag in my sig I have it all listed. Short version, I have a Marantz SR6011. It's a few years removed from the newest models, but I believe it is the first one that the MultEQ app works with. The 6011 and all subsequent models. I got lucky there. It wasn't even a thing when I bought it, but they sent out an update so it's compatible.

If the app editor was already a thing back then I wouldn't have bought my MiniDSP 2x4 HD because having played with the app I believe I can achieve the same results using just it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a few XT and an XT32 avr, they all have up to 8 mic positions (and I think XT32 is a definite step up from XT, particularly the dual sub capability).

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
If you really care about 2 channel music listening look for Yamaha. I had a Denon which sounded broke for 2 channel music sources, sold it and bought a Yamaha to replace Denon X2300W, and it transformed the sound altogether.

Denon to me sounded thin and lifeless.
Yamaha on the other has that full-bodied sound but also natural.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

D

ddjr

Audioholic
IMG_20210416_111612381_copy_2048x970.jpg
IMG_20210416_111621707_copy_2048x970.jpg
IMG_20210416_111612381_copy_2048x970.jpg
IMG_20210416_111621707_copy_2048x970.jpg
IMG_20210416_111508910_copy_2048x970.jpg
IMG_20210416_111519793_copy_2048x970.jpg
IMG_20210416_111608693_copy_2048x970.jpg
there is a view of the front and rear of the room, a view of the front fight and left corners, and also a view from my chair(as I am not centered on it, I am a bit askew)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What can I do?
I think that vaulted ceilings can actually be a plus compared to a lower flat ceiling. You do have some issues with placement imo. Your main speakers look kinda close together and the windows behind aren't doing you any favors either. You can't exactly spread them further apart without being in front of the doors so that's a no go. You have some challenges for sure. I'd want the speakers away from the wall and out into the room a little more. Not a lot, maybe pull them out 4-6 mote inches. Some toe in too. It'd help if you could have some more distance between them.

If you could possibly do some rearranging you might realize some improvements, but it depends on how far you're willing to go. I'm talking getting your tv and speakers off that side of the room altogether. I can imagine light coming in on either side of your tv would impact your viewing experience too, at least during the day. I think those doors on either side are problematic.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
Yeah, I can't have them in front of the doors, my wife hates it. Toe in- should they be pointing directly at me, or just "slightly" at me? Yes, light comes in and blinds us. But we can't change the room around, this is the way that makes most sense.
I can pull the speakers away from the wall a bit more.

D

ddjr

Audioholic
IMG_20210416_140110672_copy_2048x970.jpg
they are out in front of the shelf a bit now and do sound better, however that works! But yeah, I'm sure my wife will see them and say they are too intrusive to the room...

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis