Time for yet another new sub $1k mains thread

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I have venerable Infinity P362's for my mains that seem to be going out. I also have a P252 for my center. Please don't worry about that. I'll replace it eventually if necessary.

The candidates:

Infinity's not at all well-reviewed reference 263 speakers
Revel M12 full-range bookshelves
EMP (or RBH) 55 ti floorstanders
Fluance sign...oops scratch that I read about their issues

any other floorstanders I missed
any other bookshelves that are full range

I don't like bright speakers. I would humbly ask that no one suggest any wimpy 70/80 Hz bookshelves. I have a subwoofer, but (flame retardant suit is on) subwoofers are for HT LFE not music.

Oh... my receiver is a Yamaha Aventage RX-A720. I had hoped that was what was dying. But, I now feelthat it's my beloved Infinitys. My wife thinks they're ugly anyway. So, I'm using that as an excuse to go speaker shopping.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Just curious, but is your wife's criticism of the P363 formed with grills on or off the speakers? If you showed her photos of the contenders with grills on and off without mentioning "this is the same speaker" that might elicit different responses so you could get a speaker you like then just take the grills off when you like. (Or, when she's not around.) :D A lot of speakers have magnetic attachment of the grills now, making it a quick-switch thing.

Or is it just being a big black monolith that is the issue?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you don't like bright speakers, then you're ought to love EMP/RBH's R55ti.
I heard them - and they have nice smooth, laid back sound to them.

You should also consider Ascend CM340SE's - with optional stands they look and sound just like any other tower speakers.

Last edited:
A

allargon

Audioholic General
Thanks for the suggestions. (I seem to recall others suggesting the Ascends and the Aperions before.) :-D

Fortunately (and unfortunately) the receiver is the issue. I pulled my "broken" HK AVR 247 out of cold storage. My speakers seem to be a-ok.

Now to convince the wife to spend $1500 on an Anthem. (I don't see that happening.)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Some have ferro fluid cooled tweeters, and that needs recharging. Rubber surrounds deteriorate, paper cones either get totally dry and crack or absorb environmental moisture and get mushy or even mold. Capacitors in the crossovers can fail, glue holding cabinets together may crumble, acoustic stuffing may settle or deteriorate. These are just the issues I've seen. Many speakers can be 50 years old and still work nearly as new.

Your LS50's have quality materials, expect long life and high performance.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I recently made a list of towers with a price of around $800. I believe the first two and the KEF are normally over $1000 street price and are fair competition for $1000 speakers.

The Wharfdale 10.7 for $800 from Music Direct:
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15494-w...eakers-pr.aspx
I believe I remember reading that the Wharfdales are laid back. I think this is a nice deal on some pretty good speakers!

The refurbished Boston Acoustics M350 for $960 from Accessories4Less:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ck-each/1.html

The ELAC F6 for $760 through Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/ELAC-Debut-Tow...ywords=elac+f6

The EMP R55ti for $697:
http://emptek.com/r55ti.php

Open box KEF Q500 for $840:

If you are in particular looking for 8" woofers (say you do not want a sub), the BIC Acoustech PL-980L-PL-980R for $750 from Amazon is an option:
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Acoustech-...tower+speakers

Also 8" woofers on the refurbished Yamaha NS-777 at $560:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't think you killed the speakers. I mean it would be a first ... and I might just be the guy to win that race. Pretty soon I'll have a fresh pair to carve out making it the 3rd pair I've been into. I've got Kurt to thank for that pair. I just took them off a B&K ST 2140 amp (140 watts @ 8 Ohm) and hooked them up to a HT rec'r. Now I'll use the amp to drive a modded pair hanging on the wall of a huge garage and see if that makes anything blow up.

How do speakers die?
Usually the speaker surround disintegrates over a decade or more. Sometimes speakers die from abuse. Over driving an amp will cause the amp to clip and that's not healthy. Over driving the speaker with too much power will of course just cook the voice coil. Once in a while a capacitor or a solder connection fails in the cross over circuitry.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Alex, you're still around? I have knocked my Infinity towards down at least 20 times. (Speaker abuse!)

Kurt, those Boston Acoustics look ingtriguing. I'm still going to work on upgrading the mains later this year. Maybe I'll skip getting a Note 6 for my birthday and put that towards a matching center.

I'm surprised no one is suggesting the Chane's anymore. They were in fashion a few years ago.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
I'm surprised no one is suggesting the Chane's anymore. They were in fashion a few years ago.
I'm pretty sure that's because of their shipping costs and the fact that they consistently run out of product and you have to wait weeks/months to get a pair.

J

Jimmy Rowe

Audiophyte
If you don't like bright speakers, then you're ought to love EMP/RBH's R55ti.
I heard them - and they have nice smooth, laid back sound to them.

You should also consider Ascend CM340SE's - with optional stands they look and sound just like any other tower speakers.
I'll have to agree with this if you really don't like bright speakers then you'll probably like the RBHs since they are laid back on the highs. The Ascend 340s are certainly better than the RBHs unless for home theater where the RBHs have a nice mid range emphasis that would be preferable for HT.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Alex, you're still around? I have knocked my Infinity towards down at least 20 times. (Speaker abuse!)

Kurt, those Boston Acoustics look ingtriguing. I'm still going to work on upgrading the mains later this year. Maybe I'll skip getting a Note 6 for my birthday and put that towards a matching center.

Actually, the new Chane A1.4 and the A2.4 will be released very soon. Was going to order a set of the A2.4's, but I have gone in a totally different and much more expensive direction instead. However, I do believe that the A2.4 is going to a very impressive speaker given its price range. Have always loved a MTM design myself.

Cheers,

Phil

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have venerable Infinity P362's for my mains that seem to be going out. I also have a P252 for my center. Please don't worry about that. I'll replace it eventually if necessary.

The candidates:

Infinity's not at all well-reviewed reference 263 speakers
Revel M12 full-range bookshelves
EMP (or RBH) 55 ti floorstanders
Fluance sign...oops scratch that I read about their issues

any other floorstanders I missed
any other bookshelves that are full range

I don't like bright speakers. I would humbly ask that no one suggest any wimpy 70/80 Hz bookshelves. I have a subwoofer, but (flame retardant suit is on) subwoofers are for HT LFE not music.

Oh... my receiver is a Yamaha Aventage RX-A720. I had hoped that was what was dying. But, I now feelthat it's my beloved Infinitys. My wife thinks they're ugly anyway. So, I'm using that as an excuse to go speaker shopping.
Why you think sub is only for movies? I myself prefer sub for both movies and music, sounds much better with music as well when it is integrated correctly.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis