Time for an upgrade?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I've been to Sechelt, BC, (have family there) but that was years ago. It says on the subwoofer page that the driver is hand built in house using a cast aluminum frame. I would hazard a guess that they have the frames cast at a foundry and assemble the driver in house. I can see them making their own cones and winding the voice coil but the frames and magnets are likely sourced out. The gallery is worth checking out.

With an 18" driver and 2200W amp I think even the cheapest sub would be Pogre-approved. Is that a new term now? Or does AcuDefTechGuy win that term for having more subs? :D

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
lovinthehd, I live about 2 1/2 hours away (including a Ferry across Howe Sound!) from these guys, but I've never heard of them.

For grins, after poking about their website a bit, I put their address (1877 Field Road, Sechelt BC, V0N3A1, Canada ) into Google Maps. Up pops a very unimpressive warehouse off the beaten track in Sechelt. (A very small town on the Sunshine Coast.) I think it would be a stretch to say they manufacture their own drivers for such obviously small production runs (at these prices!). But I could be wrong. Their cabinets are probably their focus as you don't need too much real estate to crank out a few pairs of speakers or Subs a month. Their finishes look like fine furniture. You would think they'd be promoting locally as shipping costs can be significant. But not a word has reached my ears...
Well I've been familiar with them for years.....but never quite pulled the trigger....even way back when the prices were much lower (but before they started doing their own drivers and amps). They don't get much better than this in several respects and have always tested very well. Stereo Integrity makes their own drivers for some models (have you seen Deep Sea Sound offerings that use such drivers?). I think I've seen pics of the building but imagine lower overhead translates to more money where it counts, rather than the other way around for something that looks nicer or is in a nicer area. Did start out more on the furniture end but apparently Nathan Funk got the bug to improve on the products in other ways, too.....

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Still enjoying my pair of the SUB1200s. Crazy value.
Apologies in advance to the OP for hijacking this thread, but do you use the SUB1200s primarily for HT or music? I have a budget in-ceiling system with 4 Monoprice Alpha 8 inch speakers that are okay for the typical background muzak (e.g. jazz) I listen to on this system, but the speakers do not have enough bass for some music (I tried some Metallica the other day, and it sounded like the band was trapped in a tin can). Thus, I'm thinking about getting a budget sub to help with the bass.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I use them as much for music as movies. I've been very pleased with them. I would not recommend them to anybody looking for a "boomy" subwoofer. I had to get familiar with the tight and punchy sound they deliver after having a pair of boomy subs that couldn't dig deep and bottomed out too easily. These guys can be pushed and don't make a fuss. I've enjoyed using them while listening to different kinds of music. They really are a bargain.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Apologies in advance to the OP for hijacking this thread, but do you use the SUB1200s primarily for HT or music? I have a budget in-ceiling system with 4 Monoprice Alpha 8 inch speakers that are okay for the typical background muzak (e.g. jazz) I listen to on this system, but the speakers do not have enough bass for some music (I tried some Metallica the other day, and it sounded like the band was trapped in a tin can). Thus, I'm thinking about getting a budget sub to help with the bass.
Did you say …”Muzak”? Lol

Yes @Pogre. I had you in mind when I posted this.

Last edited:
H

hypermodecrits

Audioholic Intern
Just a quick update for those interested. I was able to snag a Bic F-12 and it’s definitely an upgrade over dual PSW10’s. Less muddy, larger frequency range, better looking:) After a bit of testing I determined it was obviously more… musical, for lack of a better word. Anyway, thanks again to everyone for your suggestions and I’ll gladly buy another one of these when the opportunity presents itself.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, not "musical"....perhaps more accurate. Glad you found something better!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis